vertex buffer object won't render to screen

I have a sprite class that is supposed to initialize an array of vertices and then draw them when the draw method is called however when i do call the draw method nothing is rendered to the screen. This is the source code for it. just in case you need this info the window size is 700x700 and i have my glOrtho set up as such

glOrtho(0, _width, _height, 0, 0, 1);
void Sprite::init(int x, int y, int vertNum, float r, Shape shape) {
	_vertNum = vertNum;
	if (_vboID == 0) {
		glGenBuffers(1, &_vboID);
	}
	std::vector<Vertex> vertexData(vertNum);
	if (shape == Shape::CIRCLE) {
		for (int i = 0; i < vertNum; i++) {
			float angle = 2.0 * M_PI * i / _vertNum;
			vertexData[i].setPosition(r*cos(angle), r*sin(angle));
		}
	}
	glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, _vboID);
	glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(vertexData), vertexData.data(), GL_STATIC_DRAW);
	glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);
}

void Sprite::draw() {
	//bind buffer array
	glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, _vboID);

//use first vertex attrib array
	glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);

//pointer to vertices location
	glVertexAttribPointer(0, 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(Vertex), (void*)offsetof(Vertex, position));
	//pointer to vertices color
	//glVertexAttribPointer(1, 4, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, GL_FALSE, sizeof(Vertex), (void*)offsetof(Vertex, color));

//Draw the 6 vertices to the screen
	glDrawArrays(GL_POLYGON, 0, _vertNum);

//Disable the vertex attrib array. This is not optional.
	glDisableVertexAttribArray(0);

//Unbind the VBO
	glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);
}

Are you sure this is getting called?

if (_vboID == 0) {

are you manually initializing hte _vboID to 0 or relying on the compiler to do so?
Also I think you are not copying the data properly. sizeof(vertex_data) is not the size of your data, but the size of the vector class, the actually array data is somewhere else in memory, try with sizeof(float)*vertexData.size()

[QUOTE=giordi;1282550]Are you sure this is getting called?

if (_vboID == 0) {

are you manually initializing hte _vboID to 0 or relying on the compiler to do so?
Also I think you are not copying the data properly. sizeof(vertex_data) is not the size of your data, but the size of the vector class, the actually array data is somewhere else in memory, try with sizeof(float)*vertexData.size()[/QUOTE]

sorry for the late response but thank you so much it’s fixed now! the problem was actually with the size of vertexData, however i am a noob and would like to understand what this means. what does sizeof give me? and why does sizeof(float)*vertexData work?

that has nothing todo with opengl … there you can find basic c/c++ stuff: http://www.cplusplus.com/

// random struct
struct ABC  // total size = 128bit
{
int x;        // size = 32bit
float y;      // size = 32bit
double z;   // size = 64bit
};

showsize(const ABC* pointertomyarray)
{
cout << sizeof(pointertomyarray) << endl;   // wil print 32bit on 32bit systems (or 64bit om 64bit systems)
}

somefunction()
{
ABC myarray[100];   // array size = 128bit * 10 = 1280bit
showsize(myarray);

cout << sizeof(myarray) << endl;  // this will print the actual size: 1280bit, because its invoked in same scope {...}
}

… a std::vector<sometype> is a container / dynamically sized array that
knows (stores) its own size, raw pointer dont know the size of the memory
block they point to …

pointer in general are only adresses, theitr size is dependent on the system architecture you’re programming for: 4 byte on 32bit systems, 8 byte on 64bit