The Opalis-Demo is released!!!

Hey Marc, awsome demo… the music rocks too !!!

It ran fast on my machine…

A Pentium 233MMX…
32 MB ram…
TNT 2 with 32MB video ram…

You did a great job on it…
A lot of the demo had the camera spining around a lot, kinda making me a little dizzy… With the cubes and that…

Thank you all, but there is still a problem. I tried to run the demo on an Athlon 700 with an Elsa Erazor X (GeForce), latest Elsa-drivers and I got a slide-show, too (software rendering). Has anyone this sort of configuration and any idea what happens??? (

Marc

I tried it on my
p2-400
windows 2k
riva tnt2 32mb

And it was runing well.

I have a Erazor X lattest Elsa drivers
but I have a Dual PII 400 w2k and it is uesing hardware rendering. So you problem must be with the Althon(not all that likly) or the setup of the computer since the erazor X and the Elsa drivers seem to be working ok.

Hope that helped

Originally posted by Marc:
I had the opportunity to run the demo myself on a GeForce and it did only software-rendering. I don’t know, why, but I think I shold post my initialisaton-code. Perhaps you have any idea. Sorry.

I have a GeForce card and it runs quite well, I am wondering if you have multiple monitors as this will cause problems?

Later, Guy

Marc,

I was really impressed with the metaball part of the demo at the end. I was wondering what rendering technique you used to generate them. Marching cube? Marching
Tetrahedron?

Harley

Marching Cube

nic: the problem was a glHint (see above) and that is fixed

I tried your demo
P Celeron 400 + ATI RAge 128
Framerates between 10 and 400.

What is the use of writing demo’s? Showing your skills… (Yust Curious)

Ran just great.

AMD 233 -> Ahahahahahaha
128Mb RAM
TNT 16Mb
SB16 -> Ahahahahahaha
NT 4.0 SP3

Probably averaged 12fps @ the default 800 x 600, but thats due to my poor tired CPU, and a PCI slotted TNT.

Hmm I notice no one in this thread indicates running it on a Voodoo 3. I’m curious how it performs on it. Because I’m writing my own app and on a Voodoo 3 the results are astoundingly poor. Including improperly scaled textures and software rendering speed.
It was even crashing on the Voodoo3 but I fixed that after getting rid of just one unnecessary modelview matrix push and pop that slipped in. And the depth of the stack was never more than 3 to begin with and from what I understand, the modelview stack is supposed to have a depth of at least 32. Anybody have any clue what could be wrong? Or what I should look out for on Voodoo cards in particular. Otherwise my app runs just fine on TNT, TNT2 and GeForce cards. And I’m not using any vendor specific extensions either.

Have you downloaded the new Voodoo drivers ???

With the 3dfx cards, they used Glide to take advantage of the hardware… But their openGL and DirectX was buggy… Anyway, with the new drivers, you can do stuff in opengl and it’ll run great…

Download the drivers here http://www.3dfx.com

Originally posted by masterpoi:

Fun?! I like it to program nice visual effects and view them myself. Then I put the effects together and I have a demo (not that simple, but…). (I have also written four demos in pascal/asm on DOS but finaly I have never released them.)

[This message has been edited by Marc (edited 07-19-2000).]

Cool graphics. Keep on the good work!

I remember those cool demos on the Amiga’s… That’s what got me started in 3D…