Text Not Blending Properly

Hi all, I’ve been developing a game engine in vulkan for a while, and I’ve had this problem that I can’t quite figure out. I’m using Freetype to render text, and for some reason when I render my text against a light background, the edges are gray. It seems like instead of blending to transparency, it is blending to black.

This problem was only really apparent after I changed the surface format of the engine. I was using

surfaceFormat = VK_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_SRGB 

but switched to

surfaceFormat = VK_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM

Also I am rendering the text to a separate texture here, then doing postprocessing, then combining with the background.

How can I get rid of the gray border? Thanks.

You didn’t really mention how you’re rasterizing and blending your text onto the framebuffer. But I suspect pre-multiplied alpha blending and/or an sRGB framebuffer will resolve your issue. Read this post for more details (including screenshots and tutorial links):

Note: the last few posts in this thread discuss sRGB framebuffers, why, and what you get if you don’t use one.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.