read this :D

I think I’d like a programmer for a girlfriend because I have so few people who I can talk to about programming.

If I’ve made an impressive project, something new that I’ve never done before or something that involoves a complex algorithm that I figured out, I have no one to talk to it about.

I can’t explain what I’m doing to most of my friends… I can only show the end result. and while my work may be outwardly complimented, it’s not fully and thoroughly understood and appreciated.

Originally posted by delsydsoft:
[b]to BaD_ReLiGiOn and Platinum:

As far as Chick Programmers go,I like the idea of more women programming,but I don’t think that I would want to have a relationship with one. Instead of fighting about money,housecleaning,etc, you would fight about the pros and cons of vertex arrays, proper form in c code,etc. I hate to think about that… [/b]

Haha, as a female programmer who has lived with a male programmer for 5 years, I can tell you that this really does happen! I couldn’t imagine being with someone who wasn’t into all of the things that I am… what would there be to talk about?

mc_hamming.

PS. my CS classes are ~40% female but very few of the women in the class ask questions or pester the professor when they don’t understand something. That’s a shame.

In my opinion girls and guys brains ARE wired differently. That doesn’t make me a bad coder… I just go about it a different way.

G4Soon :That is exactly the point. When my wife comes to me when I am sitting in front of the PC (as always) she just says :“Oh man, not again, still programming. How can You type and think in such an abstract way.” When I want to talk about programming there is only a forum like this.

mc_hamming: I agree with You. In fact there is not much to talk about other than what interests her because she does not understand a damn thing about programming and also cannot understand how can I spend 9 hours in regular work and then I can spend another 5-7 hours till 01.00 am sitting behind the computer and “just typing some hieroglyphes”.
I cannot imagine how great and inspirative it could be to talk with someone in my house about my current problem in programming. We both could find new ways and solutions. Even though I have to admit that we could argue about whose algo is better. But it could be fun , or not ?
In fact I tried to learn my girlfriend to program. She understands several commands but she cannot solve problems with her own ideas cause she doesnt have any.

As for the LANGUAGE problem, I am also not an native English speaker, and our company has been bought by another US company and all of US head managers have to admit that they admire us that we can learn to speak in other language than the one we started to hear from our cradle.

Also please tell me. All of You read the posts once or twice before posting if there are not some typos because of fast writing ?

glGirl: That’s a very good point. Also, I like how your name would be a method and not a constant…

VladR: Definately… this is the only place I can come to talk about programming with other interested individuals. Also, I can see how others would think that staying up until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning “typing some heiroglyphs” is a waste of time, but they (non-programmers) rarely understand us coders. that bugs me.

For my mom it doesn’t make any difference wether I’m sitting there programming or playing games. It’s both wasted time.