read this :D

Hey everyone,
On my MSc course, there were about 5 women studying software engineering with me. Out of those, one dropped out to have a kid, and the other 4 arent actually interested in working in the industry!!

WHY?

Also, i hope these ladies that are into programming, are also into makeup and other girlie stuff! The 2 dont have to be mutually exclusive!!

Phanie: Yes! the number is increasing! Excellent. One more breath of fresh air…

one more point - I’ve never really thought about this - but do any of you guys out there have stereotypes about lady programmers?

alternately, do any of you lady programmers out there feel like us guys are pushing stereotypes on you that you would like to clear up? Tell us about yourselves.

Noone sensible would ever consider sterotypes, they’re non-existent creations used to make it easier to describe large group of people, not individuals.

Zadkiel: Correction, no one SHOULD use stereotypes… I am aware of them, and thus they work their way into my life and conversational patterns on their own.

I absolutely HATE to apply stereotypes to life - that’s why I like to find out what they are, and try to consciously fight against them.

ooh, I like these smilies…

Two of my sister’s are programmers and I’ve just finished a course where 25% were females. All of the girls on the course were very competant programmers, however I feel that they tended to lack confidence in their own abilities, believing instead, that they weren’t as good as their male counterparts. I must admit though, that as much as I hate to say it, there are still men that I’ve come across that are suprised to see females programming; quite often they do make patronising remarks, which must be very off putting to someone who’s trying to learn. My experiance of some lecturers has been that they often are less than helpful when females ask questions…

indie_dev:

“To the original poster: I apologize if you’re new to this country (I can’t tell by your name), but work on your English skills. You’ll go a lot farther in this field – or in any field – if you can communicate clearly”

The american people are the most fu***ng egocentric people in the world, that´s for sure!
Why do you say that i am new to this country?
is America the only place in the world that have acess to Internet? why can´t i be in another country? Stop thinking America is the center of the world! Living in a country where the English is not the language people spoke, i have no responsibility on talking English like a English or an American citizen. Dont be offended with my words, it is not what i pretend, its just that the World is not only USA!
By the way, I live in Portugal, Europe. ( no Portugal dont belong to Spain , is a independent country for more than 800 years!)
P.S. -> Desculpa lá a linguagem, pá! ( Oh what is that

(sorry, I just couldn’ help myself, I love the smilies)
by the way, I agree that USA is not the centre of the world. I got already used to the fact, when I say where I am from (Czech Republic), people ask “where is it?”, because we are as small as…, actualy 10mil. inh… So, we are the eastern neighbour of Germany, and we DON’T speak english. Nor german. Unless you take lessons at school. So people, PLEEEEASE be patient with us, non-english speaking countries, our moms didn’t teach us english in a cradle, we had to do it ourselves, and it is a HARD work, many years of studying.(7 in my case). But try to learn Japanese (I do), and try to WRITE in it, and you will know, what does it mean to study a language.

And back to the topic. I know only one girl, who does programming, but she does it not because she likes it, but because programmers are mostly boys(I hope you understand, what I want to say). I would appreciate more girls “between us”.

To girls: GO FOR IT, DON’ STOP, YOU CAN DO IT!

Well I would like to have a programming GF.
So all you girlie progie’s, mail me!! And we can code the whole night through, hehehehehe.
Just kidding.

to BaD_ReLiGiOn and Platinum:
I completely agree that too many Americans are egocentric self-centered bastards,and I live in the US. I could understand it if your posts were completely unreadable,but I had no problem reading them. I’m glad that you guys mentioned this,because I was about to complain about the same issue.

As far as Chick Programmers go,I like the idea of more women programming,but I don’t think that I would want to have a relationship with one. Instead of fighting about money,housecleaning,etc, you would fight about the pros and cons of vertex arrays, proper form in c code,etc. I hate to think about that…

Live to Code…Code to Live…

Write code in your 2hrs of Sleep a night.

Live it.
Breath It.
Dream It.

Just what ever you do Just don’t marry it…

think of getting in a fight because you de-refed a pointer… and caused the system to crash…
Do you think you would ever here the end of it??

The Car would break down and it would be your fault because you messed up that pointer… etc…

Noooo, she would make sure it was the last thing you heard before you died…

That’s why I married a woman who teaches anger management to prisoners.

I figured it would be safer…

GUYS!! WHO GIVES A ****!! If you can read or generally make out what they are trying to say, let them be! At least they’re being nice to you and trying to communicate in YOUR language. I’ve got about 9 friends who speak german, and all are programmers. I cant understand a damn thing that they say, maybe a few “Ach du scheiße! Ich hab keine power!” or something like that.
The point being, Give them credit you stupid ****s! They’re being nice enough to communicate in YOUR language, so they deserve respect.
Heres an Idea to all of you who oppose non-english-fluent people: Why dont YOU get off your lazy ass and learn THEIR language.
anyway, later all…

Looks like some people still do not know what the Internet is all about

My two cents.

LG

Quote of the day:

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
— Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68) —

One thing I find interesting and irritating is when foreign poeple think that all British people are also all English. I am British, a UK citizen but I am not English- I am Scottish, a Scot, Scotch … - I wear a kilt, eat porridge, play the bagpipes and watch Braveheart endlessly (maybe not). Scotland isn’t part of England it is a seperate country just like Canada isn’t part of the USA! This is mostly results from ignorance, that is foregivable but, for example I sent a letter to France in perfect french, typed so there was no problem with reading it yet the return was something like:

my address
Scotland
Angleterre

??? This was interesting.

hello,
during my computer studies,
i have seen a few girls in my classroom and i don’t think that any of them really like that they were doing there (

but i have had a teacher which was liking oop and OMT/UML methods,
i have just noticied that she was more looking like a men in appearence (basket,jeans, etc… dirt clothes,junk food behind the computer) but semmed to me to be as enjoying computer than a men
D.L

Who said I was from the U.S.?

jg

@Indy

1st.) the time of your posts…
2nd.) Your profile says…

Westerville, Oh, USA

is that right or wrong?

LG

Hey guys…
I think some of you have got serious problems. What’s so attracting at girl programmers? Does every teaching men have a teacher as girlfriend?
I just think that you’re so into programming (all the time… through nights) that you can’t score with girls anymore! (This just applies to the guys which are so horny here)
As male hair-dressers may be gay (it’s a prejudice at least here in germany), femal programmers are lesbian! Well it’s just the society which makes the girls do other things as it does with men in other areas.
To the language part. We’re on an english board, and for sure we need a language we can agree on. So we all should try to write good english. I do my best and meanwhile apologize for my english. My bits… Hope nobody hates me now… I ain’t gots no enemies so far (Isn’t that good english???)!

Originally posted by mochi:
Hi …
i’m a female programmer … and there are lots more where i came from. and the number is growing … =>

Where are you from?
Could you post a picture ?

B.

1. My wife and I were introduced in 1971 by a female programmer. My wife hates computers and, to this day, won’t go near one. That’s OK with me. When I want to talk shop I’ll talk to another programmer; when I want to talk about and do other things, my wife is there. Things have worked out fine.
  2. I taught Computer Science for many years and the people who did the best were the ones who spent a lot of their own time programming. Surprise, Surprise! Students who do the best in Creative Writing spend a lot of their own time writing. Jock stars spend a lot of thier own time in the gym. I suspect that there is a mix of genetics and sociology at work when girls don’t spend a lot of their own time on their home computer. This is a LONG topic.
  3. Languages are designed to allow people to communicate ideas. We all need to use a single language so we can all communicate about OpenGL easily. English came up by default and we should all strive to communicate it clearly. Doesn’t matter where you live.
    Barry

‘I just think that you’re so into programming (all the time… through nights) that you can’t score with girls anymore!’

Think about it the other way around, there sure are a lot of people (those guys that spend every off minute in front of their computers) who are into programming, because they simply can’t get along with other people…