Problem building Lazy Foo lesson 6 'loading_a_texture' - using devIL.

My OS is Linux Ubuntu 14.04. Lazy Foo lesson 6: ‘06_loading_a_texture’ requires installing devIL image loading library. I have just updated these libraries located in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ and header files located in /usr/include/. These are the usual locations where linker looks for these kinds of files. I’m getting ‘undefined reference’ errors for a lot of names associated with devIL. The tutorial says make sure that the linker can find the libraries. Well it seems like it isn’t finding something it needs. Also, the tutorial says I need to link against devIL and ilu. Those names are not uniquely associated with specific files. I tried linking with -ldevIL and -lilu flags but the linker doesn’t recognize those. I’m thinking maybe I’m not the first one to have this problem with this lesson. The problem began with the introduction of devIL. Has anyone here had problems? TIA. Bill S.

Is the library location (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu) set by a repository package or did you manually move it there?

Have you looked inside that directory and tried to set the linker path for the compiler?

[QUOTE=Agent D;1265938]Is the library location (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu) set by a repository package or did you manually move it there?

Have you looked inside that directory and tried to set the linker path for the compiler?[/QUOTE]

Synaptic package manager decided where it is. I don’t know how to determine what the linker path should be. I don’t know where or how I would specify it. Please tell me how to do these 3 things. Thanks.

GCC (or clang) lets you specify additional linker input directories using the “-L” option in the form of “-L<path>”.