OpenGL ES 1.1 sprites/textures non-power of 2?

Hi,

I´d like to display a non-power of 2 sprite/image with OpenGL ES 1.1, preferably using point sprites. Or is it easier to use normal texturing and play with texture coordinates as in: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=241713
? Could someone explain this more specific? Do i need to load another black, background texture which will fit the scaled loaded texture and combine them somehow or what?

AFAIK on ES all textures have to be POT, and Point Sprites are square on all OpenGL implementations I am aware of.

The only way to display NPOT textures in any situation on ES is by using texture coordinates and mapping into a POT texture to extract an NPOT portion.

And the only way to do NPOT Point Sprites is to either make your own QUADS (using Triangles), or use a non square image which only takes up a portion of the Point Sprite’s area, and mask it somehow as you theorize.

I have not personally tried to override a Point Sprites texture coordinates with a texture matrix of my own, but perhaps that is possible, rather than having them generate automatically…
i.e. By not using GL_COORD_REPLACE_OES as a TextureEnv parameter.
Someone else might have experience of that… But I suspect it may not be possible, or might have other issues / overheads which make it inefficient depending on your application.

Personally I use large textures with multiple images in them (otherwise know as a texture atlas) when I want to both reduce binding calls and access images which are NPOT.

So is just a matter of calling

glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, 256, 256,0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, iTextures[0]);

with a next power of two texture size, and adjust the texture coordinates a bit? Or do i have to pad the image with mores bytes to black at byte level?

Like I said I have not tried generating my own Point Sprite texcoords, but you certainly can map NPOT texture portions onto other geometry by simply using texture coords for an NPOT section of a POT texture.