No GL3 and no newsletter yet...

This gets a really stinky feeling… somehow reminds me of the render-to-texture show the ARB gave in the past. It was really entertaining for some years, but at the end it was just a big shame. Let’s see how the GL3 show will perform. High quality entertainment for years?

Hey ARB, don’t forget, the API is not here to end in itself - it’s for us developers. Yes right, thats the people on the other end, that have to finish products, thats the crowd out there waiting for some updates.

A little hope of mine is that they throw away the GLSL stuff and instead design a binary token stream like the D3D9 shaders. I get the feeling that some simple p-code is better to optimize. The optimizer could be at the driver level, but I have a bad feeling about the compiler beeing in the driver, and ATi has proven with its GLSL support that I am right. And after some time, we maybe have the choice between different languages, compilers, etc. What a dream. Give us binary tokens!

Hopefully they get something out a month before Breakpoint 2008.
Ironic mode off.
Thank you for nothing.

There is a difference between being ironic and being rude.

Though, of course we all feel similarly.

Jan.

Give us binary tokens? We’ll discuss binary tokens and other new features when they’ve got the GL3 re-factored API out the door. We want a clean, stable GL implementation for now.
I tell you, if D3d supported quad-buffered stereo and gen-locking I’d have moved over to it long ago…
Meanwhile, back in purgatory…

Count me in.

Seriously, do you all really think the delay is from the Khronos group. Personally my wild speculation chips are on the delay being a vendor disagreement, which for good reason is not going to be made public.

Also EvilOne, if the GPL3 compiler isn’t driver side then I ship you a beer!

which for good reason is not going to be made public.

Actually, if there is a vendor dispute, it would be best to make it public. That way, whomever is part of the dispute can be publicly upbraided for holding up the spec.

The easiest way to end disputes like this is to embarrass the party responsible for it.

Embarrassed people usually leave the room.

Just to bump this thread up :smiley:

BTW, this is a little OT, how do you edit your posts?

I cannot seem to find the button to do so … my GPL3 should have been GL3…

Apparently you can only edit posts when no one has posted after.
It can prevent some heavy edits in the second page of a 20+ pages long topic :wink:

Yea, so mindeth what ye scribeth err frobbeth thou not hence.

Just to bump this thread up :smiley:

Just keep’em comming.

Here’s little somethin’ I previously said I’d rather not do:

“Are we there yet?” :smiley:

Are we there yet?

No, and if you kids don’t hush up I swear I’ll turn this spec around and take us right back to 1.1…

:smiley:

I swear I’ll turn this spec around and take us right back to 1.1

I’m programming under Windows, so I use 1.1 anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, you can do a lot with GL 1.1. You can actually implement shadowmaps using just two extensions: multitexturing and GL_ADD texture env mode. Hell, I bet you could do it without them, too :slight_smile:

It’s just that it’s so much easier and faster with shaders :smiley:

picky picky picky :stuck_out_tongue:

Come on Punxsutawney Phil! You can do it!! :slight_smile:

This just in from Gobbler’s Knob… 6 more weeks of winter.

What the heck does that furry mutt know anyway?

Err… What was I about to say?.. I know it was something smart. If only I could remember…

Ah, yes! I was about to ask if we will get 3 newsletters at once? (Summer, Autumn and Winter editions) :smiley:

Maybe Gl 3.0 is soo good, they have to wait until 2010 before releasing it, but they keep it secret, so Microsoft won’t throw all it’s resources to create DX11 by that time?

Nvidia is currently busy acquiring Ageia :smiley: