In regard to Ray Triangle Intersection

Hello folks,

I was looking for solution about Ray triangle intersection and found some that have applied to my project.
I found that I can validate the line pass through with given codes but the coordinate of intersection point aren’t correct, that appears in wrong position.

Anyone can help me to check what is the problem in my program and fix its error?

struct Ray {
    vec3 Origin;
    vec3 Dir;
};

// Check whether the intersect point is in triangle
bool PointInOrOn(vec3 P1, vec3 P2, vec3 A, vec3 B) {
    // if the line from a corner point to the intersection point is between the to legs which are connected to the corner point
    vec3 CP1 = cross(B - A, P1 - A);
    vec3 CP2 = cross(B - A, P2 - A);

// Return its result
    return dot(CP1, CP2) >= 0;
}

// Check whether the point is in triangle
bool PointInTriangle(vec3 px, vec3 p1, vec3 p2, vec3 p3) {
    return PointInOrOn(px, p1, p2, p3) && PointInOrOn(px, p2, p3, p1) && PointInOrOn(px, p3, p1, p2);
}

// Check intersection point
vec3 IntersectPlane(Ray ray, vec3 p1, vec3 p2, vec3 p3) {
    // Direction
    vec3 D = ray.Dir;

// The normal vector of the plane can be calculated by the cross product of 2 legs of the triangle
    vec3 N = cross(p3 - p1, p2 - p1);

// The intersection point X
    vec3 X = ray.Origin + D * dot(p1 - ray.Origin, N) / dot(D, N);

// Return coordinate of intersect point
    return X;
}

// Check intersection between given line and triangle + obtain coordinate of intersect point
bool IntersectTriangle(Ray ray, vec3 p1, vec3 p2, vec3 p3, vec3 &X) {
    // Get coordinate of intersect point
    X = IntersectPlane(ray, p1, p2, p3);

// Check intersection
    return PointInTriangle(X, p1, p2, p3);
}

// Main
int main() {
    // Triangle
    vec3 p1 = vec3(-0.5, 0.0, -1.5);
    vec3 p2 = vec3(-2.5, 0.0, 1.0);
    vec3 p3 = vec3(1.5, 0.0, 1.0);

// Line
    Ray ray;
    ray.Origin = vec3(1.0, 1.5, 0.0);
    ray.Dir = vec3(-2.0, -1.5, 0.0);

// Intersection point
    vec3 X = vec3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

// Intersection check + obtain coordinate of intersection point
    bool rt = IntersectTriangle(ray, p1, p2, p3, X);

return 0;
}

Below is the result I get when I draw intersection point between Origin and Dir.

What I want to have is something similar to below

What have you done to debug this problem on your own? Have you worked through the algorithm for a simple configuration on paper and compared intermediate results with your code?
If I had to take a wild guess I’d suspect that your algorithm assumes certain vectors to be normalized and they are not for your inputs; ray.Dir seems a pretty likely candidate for this type of issue.

BTW a standard algorithm for this problem is Möller–Trumbore, not sure if that is what your are implementing?

The IntersectPlane function is fine. If it’s returning the wrong point, there’s something wrong with your primitive vector operations (+, -, *, dot, or cross). For the given values of p1, p2, p3, and ray, the result should be (-1,0,0), which is clearly lies on both the plane and the line.

haha, I’ve tried few but all failed.
btw, actual problem that I’m not good at math, trying to study and understand but it is quite challenging :sob:

Thanks for sharing with me valuable input and post, I will take a look and see whether it can solve my problem :+1:

Yeah, I can confirm that the IntersectPlane works properly, only thing I have problem is getting wrong coordinate of intersection point :sweat:

I’ve applied Möller–Trumbore, you have mentioned, but result I got is exactly same as one from mine :cry:
Looks like the algorithms are identical

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.