glCompressedTexImage2D and NULL data

Is it allowed to pass NULL as data to {Compressed}TexImage() to “reserve space” without downloading anything ?

It seems to crash on both Nvidia and ATI

The motivation for doing this is to download a large precompressed texture in small pieces by first creating an empty texture with glCompressedTexImage2D(…, NULL) and then subloading small blocks of texture data with glCompressedTexSubImage2D(…, data)

Thanks

I’m not sure why this crashes, but surely you could use glTexImage2D(…, NULL) for reserving the texture (with a compressed internalformat). And then using subsequent glCompressedTexSubImage calls to upload the small pieces.

I experienced something similar some time ago.

Worth noting might be that the code in that thread does not crash on an Intel implementation I tested it on (though it should be noted I didn’t really check the resulting texture to see if it indeed was compressed).

Originally posted by golem:
Is it allowed to pass NULL as data to {Compressed}TexImage() to “reserve space” without downloading anything ?
The spec doesn’t say NULL is allowed, so that would mean it’s not. But as andras said, you can use glTexImage2D().

Andras,

Your suggestion is working !
Thank you very much

I suppose this is the normal way to use the API. I think this should have been explained better in the documentation. I am pretty sure i am not the only one to be confused.

Sorry to revive the thread, but I’m having a similar problem that when I call glTexImage2D(… NULL) for compressed textures, and then glCompressedTexSubImage2D(…, data), it always displays a white texture.

I’m running on nVidia ForceWare ver. 81.63 (Quadro FX 1400).

Does anyone else have similar problems?

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);

Thanks, knackered. Apparently, the MIN filter does matter (is mip map the default?), but my problem was that I was calling glTexImage2D() with the wrong parameters.

I was calling glTexImage2D() with GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT instead of GL_RGB for the “format” parameter.

Here’s my testing code for anyone that might bump into similar problems:

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
  glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texHandle);

unsigned char red_pixels[4][4][4];
  for (int i=0; i < 4; ++i) {
    for (int j=0; j < 4; ++j) {
      red_pixels[i][j][0] = 0xff;
      red_pixels[i][j][1] = 0x00;
      red_pixels[i][j][2] = 0x00;
      red_pixels[i][j][3] = 0xff;
    }
  }

unsigned char red_dxt1[4 * 4 / 2] =
  { 0x00, 0xf8, 0x00, 0xf8, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
  glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
  static int chooser = 2;
  switch (chooser) {
    case 0:
      // Load uncompressed image in one shot.
      // Should work.
      glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, 4, 4, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, (void *)red_pixels);
      break;
    case 1:
      // Load compressed image in one shot.
      // Should work.
      glCompressedTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT, 4, 4, 0, 8, (void *)red_dxt1);
      break;
    case 2:
      // Make space for uncompressed image, then load through subtexture region.
      // Should work.
      glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT, 4, 4, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);
      glCompressedTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 0, 0, 4, 4, GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT, 8, (void *)red_dxt1);
      break;
    case 3:
      // Just load subtexture region.
      // Should NOT work.
      glCompressedTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 0, 0, 4, 4, GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT, 8, (void *)red_dxt1);
      break;
  }

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
  glTexCoord2f(-1, -1);
  glVertex3f(-1, -1, 0.5);
  glTexCoord2f(1, -1);
  glVertex3f(1, -1, 0.5);
  glTexCoord2f(-1, 1);
  glVertex3f(-1, 1, 0.5);
  glTexCoord2f(1, 1);
  glVertex3f(1, 1, 0.5);
  glEnd();

Originally posted by canuckle:
is mip map the default?
Yes. Specifically, it’s GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR.