Gaussian blur with varaible radius

I am trying to write a shader which will apply gaussian blur to a texture. I can do it with a fixed radius size. What i am trying to do is get the blur radius from user and apply the gaussian filter with that radius.

For now i am using something like this with fixed radius 7.(of course there is vertical shader too)

void main(void)
{
   vec4 sum = vec4(0.0);
   sum += texture2D(RTScene, vec2(vTexCoord.x - 4.0*blurSize, vTexCoord.y)) * 0.05;
   sum += texture2D(RTScene, vec2(vTexCoord.x - 3.0*blurSize, vTexCoord.y)) * 0.09;
   sum += texture2D(RTScene, vec2(vTexCoord.x - 2.0*blurSize, vTexCoord.y)) * 0.12;
   sum += texture2D(RTScene, vec2(vTexCoord.x - blurSize, vTexCoord.y)) * 0.15;
   sum += texture2D(RTScene, vec2(vTexCoord.x, vTexCoord.y)) * 0.16;
   sum += texture2D(RTScene, vec2(vTexCoord.x + blurSize, vTexCoord.y)) * 0.15;
   sum += texture2D(RTScene, vec2(vTexCoord.x + 2.0*blurSize, vTexCoord.y)) * 0.12;
   sum += texture2D(RTScene, vec2(vTexCoord.x + 3.0*blurSize, vTexCoord.y)) * 0.09;
   sum += texture2D(RTScene, vec2(vTexCoord.x + 4.0*blurSize, vTexCoord.y)) * 0.05;

gl_FragColor = sum;
}

Well just change the blurSize for a variable radius.
Or maybe I do not understand your (implicit) question ?

Well, i got this code from somewhere else so i am not sure but “blurSize” just looks like the step size not radius. For some reason i think radius is directly related with kernel size which is 7 in this example.

And if you increase the step size, you should get a wider blur. Did you try ?

The number of samples taken has a effect on quality, not on blur size.

I have tried and yes it gives a result with higher radius with less quality. Thanks for your answer, it is clear now.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.