Why Vulkan API so slow ?! Dota 2 work faster on OpenGL !

Vulkan API it should be close to GPU and work faster.
But we see slow work Vulkan API.

Dota 2 \ Principle of Talos work slow on Vulkan API.
Vulkan API fail ?

OpenGL faster on 30% then Vulkan API on Linux.
On Windows Directx 11 faster then Vulkan API.

What’s happening with Vulkan API ?

gpu perf won’t change with vulkan vs opengl and Dota2 wasn’t draw call bound.

Not to mention people are still learning how to use vulkan properly and how to architect applications to take advantage of vulkan’s features.

How about this ? :slight_smile:

9 months ago say Vulkan API faster 80% then OpenGL. Its was marketing ?

I have no idea why you’re asking us about this. You should be asking Valve; it’s their code, not ours.

Vulkan is not a magical “go faster” salve that you spread onto code to make it faster. Indeed, if you actually watched the Valve portion of the GDC Vulkan debut, they talked about performance issues and so forth with their way of using Vulkan.

Its was marketing ?

What else would a benchmark be?

[QUOTE=Ronniko;40289]How about this ? :slight_smile:

9 months ago say Vulkan API faster 80% then OpenGL. Its was marketing ?[/QUOTE]

90% actually. Also that’s a benchmark application, 99% of the time they are written with an agenda in mind.

In this case, we are looking at a constrained TDP scenario. This means that there is a given thermal-power envelop and the CPU/GPU combo has to utilize the same resources and attempt to maximize their output.

That benchmark was looking at Joules/frame. Or in other words the total amount of processing required per frame. There vulkan got a advantage over opengl simply due to the no-run-time-validation philosophy of vulkan.

90.99 euro ups % :slight_smile:

Vulkan is still an experimental thing. It may improve over time. Wait until they release the Vulkan programming guide and consider the performance/optimization tips. However it may take a bit of time to release performer drivers, and this is the case with too-low level “APIs”

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I suspected this.

[QUOTE=Alfonse Reinheart;40290]I have no idea why you’re asking us about this. You should be asking Valve; it’s their code, not ours.
[/QUOTE]

The OP question was not directed to anyone personally, unless you consider yourself somehow involved in the development of “Vulkan”…anyway

My point is that the answer to that question cannot be found here. The answer to the question is based on a combination of Vulkan drivers and the program in question’s use of Vulkan. The only people who have sufficient knowledge to answer questions about DOTA2’s Vulkan performance work for Valve.

The most we can do is make guesses.

It’s like going to a Microsoft forum to ask about why SumatraPDF takes so long to print.