Why my multithread rendering in vulkan is actually slower?

I implemented a Vulkan multi-threaded rendering, which was basically based on the multi-threaded rendering of the Sascha Willems demo(Vulkan/examples/multithreading at master · SaschaWillems/Vulkan · GitHub)

The method I implemented is to allocate a PrimaryCommandBuffer, and then each rendering thread has its own CommandPool and SecondaryCommandbuffers for submit rendering.

I posted some code here if anyone want to see the details of my implementation.

【PrimaryCommandBuffer dispatch code】

bool KVulkanRenderDevice::SubmitCommandBufferMuitiThread(unsigned int imageIndex)
    {
    	assert(imageIndex < m_CommandBuffers.size());
    	KVulkanRenderTarget* target = (KVulkanRenderTarget*)m_SwapChainRenderTargets[imageIndex].get();

VkRenderPassBeginInfo renderPassInfo = {};
    	renderPassInfo.sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_RENDER_PASS_BEGIN_INFO;

renderPassInfo.renderPass =  ((KVulkanRenderTarget*)m_SwapChainRenderTargets[imageIndex].get())->GetRenderPass();
    	renderPassInfo.framebuffer = target->GetFrameBuffer();

renderPassInfo.renderArea.offset.x = 0;
    	renderPassInfo.renderArea.offset.y = 0;
    	renderPassInfo.renderArea.extent = target->GetExtend();

auto clearValuesPair = target->GetVkClearValues();
    	renderPassInfo.pClearValues = clearValuesPair.first;
    	renderPassInfo.clearValueCount = clearValuesPair.second;

VkCommandBuffer primaryCommandBuffer = m_CommandBuffers[imageIndex].primaryCommandBuffer;

VkCommandBufferBeginInfo cmdBufferBeginInfo = {};
    	cmdBufferBeginInfo.sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_COMMAND_BUFFER_BEGIN_INFO;
    	VK_ASSERT_RESULT(vkBeginCommandBuffer(primaryCommandBuffer, &cmdBufferBeginInfo));
    	{
    		vkCmdBeginRenderPass(primaryCommandBuffer, &renderPassInfo, VK_SUBPASS_CONTENTS_SECONDARY_COMMAND_BUFFERS);
    		{
    			VkCommandBufferInheritanceInfo inheritanceInfo = {};
    			inheritanceInfo.sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_COMMAND_BUFFER_INHERITANCE_INFO;
    			inheritanceInfo.renderPass = ((KVulkanRenderTarget*)m_SwapChainRenderTargets[imageIndex].get())->GetRenderPass();
    			inheritanceInfo.framebuffer = ((KVulkanRenderTarget*)m_SwapChainRenderTargets[imageIndex].get())->GetFrameBuffer();

for(size_t i = 0; i < m_ThreadPool.GetWorkerThreadNum(); ++i)
    			{
    				m_ThreadPool.SubmitTask([=]()
    				{
    					ThreadRenderObject((uint32_t)i, imageIndex, inheritanceInfo);
    				});
    			}
    			m_ThreadPool.WaitAllAsyncTaskDone();

std::vector<VkCommandBuffer> commandBuffers;

size_t numThread = m_ThreadPool.GetWorkerThreadNum();

for(size_t threadIndex = 0; threadIndex < numThread; ++threadIndex)
    			{
    				ThreadData& threadData = m_CommandBuffers[imageIndex].threadDatas[threadIndex];

commandBuffers.insert(commandBuffers.begin(),
    					threadData.commandBuffers.begin(),
    					threadData.commandBuffers.end());

}

vkCmdExecuteCommands(primaryCommandBuffer, (uint32_t)commandBuffers.size(), commandBuffers.data());
    		}
    		vkCmdEndRenderPass(primaryCommandBuffer);
    	}
    	VK_ASSERT_RESULT(vkEndCommandBuffer(primaryCommandBuffer));

return true;
    }

【SecondaryCommandbuffer submit code】

void KVulkanRenderDevice::ThreadRenderObject(uint32_t threadIndex, uint32_t imageIndex, VkCommandBufferInheritanceInfo inheritanceInfo)
    {
    	ThreadData& threadData = m_CommandBuffers[imageIndex].threadDatas[threadIndex];

VkCommandBufferBeginInfo beginInfo = {};
    	beginInfo.sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_COMMAND_BUFFER_BEGIN_INFO;
    	beginInfo.flags = VK_COMMAND_BUFFER_USAGE_RENDER_PASS_CONTINUE_BIT | VK_COMMAND_BUFFER_USAGE_ONE_TIME_SUBMIT_BIT;

beginInfo.pInheritanceInfo = &inheritanceInfo;

for(size_t i = 0; i < threadData.num; ++i)
    	{
    		VkCommandBuffer commandBuffer = threadData.commandBuffers[i];
    		VK_ASSERT_RESULT(vkBeginCommandBuffer(commandBuffer, &beginInfo));	
    		KVulkanRenderTarget* target = (KVulkanRenderTarget*)m_SwapChainRenderTargets[imageIndex].get();
    		{
    			KVulkanPipeline* swapchainPipeline = (KVulkanPipeline*)m_SwapChainPipelines[imageIndex].get();

VkPipeline pipeline = swapchainPipeline->GetVkPipeline();
    			VkPipelineLayout pipelineLayout = swapchainPipeline->GetVkPipelineLayout();
    			VkDescriptorSet descriptorSet = swapchainPipeline->GetVkDescriptorSet();

vkCmdBindPipeline(commandBuffer, VK_PIPELINE_BIND_POINT_GRAPHICS, pipeline);

vkCmdBindDescriptorSets(commandBuffer, VK_PIPELINE_BIND_POINT_GRAPHICS, pipelineLayout, 0, 1, &descriptorSet, 0, nullptr);

KVulkanVertexBuffer* vulkanVertexBuffer = (KVulkanVertexBuffer*)m_VertexBuffer.get();
    			VkBuffer vertexBuffers[] = {vulkanVertexBuffer->GetVulkanHandle()};
    			VkDeviceSize offsets[] = {0};
    			vkCmdBindVertexBuffers(commandBuffer, 0, 1, vertexBuffers, offsets);

KVulkanIndexBuffer* vulkanIndexBuffer = (KVulkanIndexBuffer*)m_IndexBuffer.get();
    			vkCmdBindIndexBuffer(commandBuffer, vulkanIndexBuffer->GetVulkanHandle(), 0, vulkanIndexBuffer->GetVulkanIndexType());

glm::mat4& model = m_ObjectFinalTransforms[i +threadData.offset];
    			vkCmdPushConstants(commandBuffer, pipelineLayout, VK_SHADER_STAGE_VERTEX_BIT, 0, (uint32_t)m_ObjectBuffer->GetBufferSize(), &model);
    			vkCmdDrawIndexed(commandBuffer, static_cast<uint32_t>(vulkanIndexBuffer->GetIndexCount()), 1, 0, 0, 0);
    		}
    		VK_ASSERT_RESULT(vkEndCommandBuffer(commandBuffer));
    	}
    }

The same is to render 6400 small squares, multi-threaded rendering is significantly slower than single-threaded

Multi-threaded rendering results:

Single-threaded rendering results:

In order to profile this problem, I use vtune to see where the bottleneck is.

I found that the basic cause of performance bottlenecks is vkBeginCommandBuffer and

vkEndCommandBuffer in multithreaded rendering function

The rest is basically vkQueueSubmit.

For comparison, I went to profile the example of Sascha Willems.

As you can see, vkBeginCommandBuffer and vkEndCommandBuffer are not a performance bottleneck, so you can see that his rendering thread does not have so much CPU time, which is very different from me.

Note that I have turned off the ValidationLayer for both and executed them all in the Release mode.
So I carefully compared my code with his code, there is basically no difference in the process, the parameters for creating CommandPool and Commandbuffer for rendering thread is also the same, how can there be such a completely different result. I have checked this issue for two days. Does anyone know exactly what may causes this result?

You’ve created a command buffer for each object. That means each object has to set up its own pipelines, descriptor sets, and other rendering parameters, which in most cases would just be the same as similar objects. Not to mention the cost of executing so many secondary command buffers.

None of that is good.

You should instead parcel up groups of similar objects into tasks, with each task (potentially executing in different threads). Like, you might have the “draw static meshes” task, which draws all of the static meshes, using a single pipeline and a single collection of descriptor sets, only varying dynamic descriptors and/or push constants. For skinned meshes, you’d have a “draw skinned mesh” task, with its own pipeline and descriptor sets. For UI stuff, you’d have a “draw UI” tasks.

Basically, if the number of command buffers is scaling linearly with the number of objects in the scene, then you’re doing it wrong. There can be some wiggle room here, where you break up large groups into a few smaller bundles, so that you don’t have one gigantic tasks that leaves other CPU threads doing nothing. But you definitely should not have a 1:1 correspondence between rendered objects and command buffers. Maybe 100:1 or 500:1, but definitely not 1:1.

Having a commandbuffer for each object is really a bad design. In fact, I have also tried to hold a commandbuffer for each thread. This implementation does bring a lot of performance improvements. But the strange thing is

1. Regardless of one commandbuffer per object and one commandbuffer per thread, the efficiency of the program does not increase with the number of threads.
  2. Multi-threaded operation is not as efficient as single-threaded

In addition, the same design of a commandbuffer for each object, why the example of Sascha Willems does not suffer from the same performance problems as me, and his example execution efficiency will indeed increase with the increase of the number of threads, which makes me very confused.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.