Where is OpenGL 2.1??

I’m trying to find a driver for OpenGl 2.1, as Minecraft cannot run any versions past 1.7.2 without it.
I went to the intel website to try and update, so I downloaded a program that updates it. It said update complete, it was a newer version, and I rebooted my computer to make sure. I checked my version with the “OpenGL Extensions Viewer”, and it said 2.0! Why does 0.1 of a version matter?

The new features in OpenGL 2.1 were: GLSL 1.2, non-square matrices, pixel buffer objects, and sRGB textures.

Ultimately, meaningful support for a particular version of OpenGL depends upon the hardware. If the hardware doesn’t support a certain feature, updating the driver won’t help.

Also, once a vendor stops selling a particular model of chip, there’s little incentive for them to add new features to the drivers. So if 2.0 was the last version of the specification which was published before production ceased, it’s unlikely to support a later version even if the hardware is physically capable of it.

If this is for a desktop system, a discrete PCIe graphics card which supports at least OpenGL 3.0 can be obtained for a pittance.

[QUOTE=GClements;1262199]The new features in OpenGL 2.1 were: GLSL 1.2, non-square matrices, pixel buffer objects, and sRGB textures.

Ultimately, meaningful support for a particular version of OpenGL depends upon the hardware. If the hardware doesn’t support a certain feature, updating the driver won’t help.

Also, once a vendor stops selling a particular model of chip, there’s little incentive for them to add new features to the drivers. So if 2.0 was the last version of the specification which was published before production ceased, it’s unlikely to support a later version even if the hardware is physically capable of it.

If this is for a desktop system, a discrete PCIe graphics card which supports at least OpenGL 3.0 can be obtained for a pittance.[/QUOTE]

I have a Windows 7 Professional laptop, Inspiron 1525, if that helps. I tried looking at the OpenGL registry, and I found the specification, but I got really confused because I didn’t know how to use the specification.

The specification is of no use to end users; it’s for people writing software.

The Inspiron 1525 uses the Intel GMA X3100 GPU, which only supports OpenGL 2.0 on Windows (although apparently 2.1 on Linux, which suggests that the chip is physically capable of it).

You can either wait and see if Intel releases a newer driver which supports OpenGL 2.1, or if a newer version of Minecraft supports OpenGL 2.0.

[QUOTE=GClements;1262209]The specification is of no use to end users; it’s for people writing software.

The Inspiron 1525 uses the Intel GMA X3100 GPU, which only supports OpenGL 2.0 on Windows (although apparently 2.1 on Linux, which suggests that the chip is physically capable of it).

You can either wait and see if Intel releases a newer driver which supports OpenGL 2.1, or if a newer version of Minecraft supports OpenGL 2.0.[/QUOTE]

I’m dead then