Vulkan Explicit layers error

I updated my Vulkan SDK from 1.1.108.0 to 1.1.121.0 and after this the validation layers say that

(VK_LAYER_LUNARG_standard_validation) "validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file D:\Games\Steam\SteamFossilizeVulkanLayer64.json". 

My Vulkan SDK directory is in “E:/Programming/SDks/Vulkan”. I tried configuring it from the Vulkan Configurator but that does not do anything. But in the Installation Analyzer it states multiple paths in “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\Vulkan\ExplicitLayers” which does not exist anymore. I did reinstalling the SDK multiple times just as stated in the Official Vulkan site but it doesn’t work.

Any suggestions on what i could do to this issue? Thank You!

Well, does that JSON exist?
Try updating Steam.

That is not the only error that comes up.

validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file D:\Games\Steam\SteamFossilizeVulkanLayer64.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\VulkanLayerManager\VkLayer_override.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_core_validation.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_khronos_validation.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_object_lifetimes.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_stateless_validation.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_thread_safety.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_unique_objects.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_standard_validation.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_assistant_layer.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_api_dump.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_device_simulation.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_monitor.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_screenshot.json
validation layer: loader_get_json: Failed to open JSON file G:\Live Code\libraries\1.1.108.0\Bin\VkLayer_vktrace_layer.json"

All of these too come

Ok, you had a pretty old SDK, might be a botched cleanup.

1. Uninstall Vulkan SDK the usual way
  2. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\VulkanRT and run uninstallers, if there are any. You might need to run the uninstaller several times, until it disappears
  3. Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Khronos\Vulkan\ExplicitLayers and there delete any of the validation layer items (i.e. those which would have SDK path), if there are any. Do the same for HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Khronos\Vulkan\ExplicitLayers.
  4. Install the latest SDK.
1 Like

Where can i find the “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Khronos\Vulkan\ExplicitLayers”? tried searching but i cant find it.

In Windows registry via regedit. HKLM means HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.