Use D3D!! It's better...

yeah… uh how portable is your DX again? Sorry I didn’t get that the first time around… oh btw, does it to hardware t&l yet?

Just reading your post…I thought directx7 had T&L support…in my directx programming book you can set the direct3d mode to hardwareTnL…I am 100% sure I saw this…so what are you talking bout wassuh?

Wassah you obviously have no idea what you are saying or why your are saying it. Microsoft is a market player, they like to get their products out first (to hopefully get control) then refine them over time. Each improvement to Directx has been quite substancial and number 8 is appearently going to be good. Basically you are saying if a peice of software needs to be patched it sucks tho you related it to MS cause there seems to be some kind of anti MS bandwagon lately (everyone wants to be L337). The reason there is a new version every year is because the graphocs industry is evolving and MS wants to keep up with it by offering developers everything (IMHO) they can.

Chris

what a big thread for a funny starting post…

M$ is bad, because it’s not good.
I tried Linux, Windows and BeOS.
BeOS and Linux are free, windows costs a lot of money.
It’s not worth it.

I’im using BeOS5 Personnal Edition and never got any problem, the only minor problem is lake of drivers, but the OS is so well written that maing your own drivers isn’t hard.

I agree that you must not flamme M$ if you can’t propose a better solution.
To me this solution is BeOS, an easy to use free OS.

M$ is a big marketing firm with no engineers inside since DOS3.3…
Those how knows INTEL processor history, MSDOS and ASM will agree with me.

How many of you knows what an INTEL CPU is really capable of ?
And since which generation ?

>>
But you guys, you’re not EVERYONE, you’re computer gods !!! How computer gods can use
products that were designed for mortals ???
<<
You make some valid points but…

I don’t like Linux because it’s hard, I like Linux because it’s honest.

Open source is honest.

John

I just gave up on DirectX and took up smoking
crack. They both leave you with the same feeliing - DAZED AND CONFUSED!

I just gave up on DirectX and took up smoking
crack. They both leave you with the same feeliing - DAZED AND CONFUSED!

As I read though almost every single message in this topic I notice not only a pattern but a complete back fire in the face of whoever it was that mentioned the word monopoly and MS in the same sentence. Having the choice between OpenGL and DirectX. Having the choice between Windoze and Linux, etc. Microsoft obviously does not control the public in forcing people to use it’s ****. If they did then they would be considered a monopoly. But no. As you can see, several people chose to use Linux, and OpenGL as their API of choice.

Another bitch I have is that Linux is good. Yes indeed. But people like to interact with things visually. So they came up with Gnome, and KDE, etc. Which suck major ass I might add. Netscape, Gnome, and KDE crash more than Win98SE from what I have experimented with them. But the visual interface is why so many people opt to stick with Windoze. And I personally think M$ hit the jack pot when they released Millennium Edition. they got rid of DOS (almost entirely), which makes boot up from 10 seconds to 30 on a normal system. and it seems to be extremely stable. not as stable as linux but it fares alot better than 98. And more. With the windoze crashes, the blue screen of death, those kind of crashes, those are MORE hardware related than software. I’m not saying software wouldn’t cause the blue death screen to appear, but a majority of it is from hardware. Quoted strait from a book I have in my lap “General Protection Fault in USER.EXE relates to the USER core component has run out of file space, Add the lines FILE=100 to the config.sys file.” Well, I dont know about you but, I haven’t had a General Protection Fault in ages. I think M$ did something right in fixing that. Relating to the Blue Screen of Death, “0E or 0D exception errors : 0E errors refer to bad memory, and 0D errors are video problems.” If you get one of these errors, it doesn’t necessarily mean your video card or memory is bad, but if you get them repeadly and randomly, it could help in diagnosing your ****ty comp. What these errors could also mean, is that the shoddy program you were running before it crashes is a POS and did an “illegal operation”. i.e. divizion by zero or something stupid that it’s not supposed to do. But because Microsoft wanted to give the user FULL CONTROL of his COMPUTER with DirectX for example, shoddy programs are bringing the OS down with it. So Microsoft is now trying to pry the Kernel, etc. away from the user and his shoddy programs disallowing direct access, or reverting access through an error check type o’ thing to prevent such programs from crashing the OS. Microsoft did this with WinNT4, and did it correctly, but found incompatiabilities with games, drivers, etc. thats Why the NT OS’s only supported Directx up to version 3. Then M$ decided to come up with Win2K which intigrated directx and their “protection scheme” together, but still found out, that **** wasn’t compatiable, so came WinME. fairly stable, and fast to boot. pun intended

yeah… too bad, it runs programs slower…

oh yeah, win2000 pro huh? how about eatin 64megs of ram just sitting there?

win2000 adv. server eats up 120meg ram… what’s up with that??

even IF X crashes, you don’t have to reboot… like winblows. Btw, it won’t crash unless you’re doing something wierd… like modifying the source yourself, then it’s your fault.

Not that I like to post in those kind of threats but if you are here it must mean that you are OpenGl coders.
May I ask you a question ?
If you do an openGL prog for kids, or a video game would you make a configuration GUI in which you can settle up everything ?

Linux and Windows are not the same thing at all. Even Linus Torvald admitted that linux would never be a personal OS. If you want to make a system for a secretarian, a PR or anyone that does not understand how a computer is working you take windows.
That is true that most of the time when Linux get stucks (and it does) you can switch consoles make a ps and kill the process number that is bothering you.
Now just a question how would you explain that to a PR ?
Somebody who does not now why its x server is locked can unlock it.
I made the test at least twenty times. A client of mine wanted linux on his computers because of the price and of the stability. That was two years ago since KDE was here with staroffice 5.0 I decided to make the try. Hudge mistake.
First it took me almost a month just to teach them not to double click !!! and how to react when they did by mistake.
When the X-server occasionally crashed (some comptuters where P-75) I had to go by myself to the client, there is no way who can tell somebody on the phone how to switch console, save his work in command line kill the x server and start it again on a distant pc…

Furthermore even if I must admit that Win95 was nothing more than a pay for it three years long beta test, win 98 can be stable.
Of course it took me as much trouble as installing a slackware (For personal reason I do not like RedHat based distrib - in fact I hate RPM) but my PC is working fine. It crashes once every two months and has suffer 2 main board and 5 graphics cards change in the last 2 years. And guess what I never had to reinstall windows.

Linux is great for prog, graphics, everything realted to mailing list, docs server and so on. But if you want to play or to write text windows if far better.

Ah one last thing about macs : Never has windows gotten half the grip on pc apple has on mac(G3 AND G4 specs are secret, develloping linux for G4 is a nightmare) . Never has Bill gates lied half as much as Steve Jobs is doing now (Comparing 4000$ G4 to standard pc, saying that the new G4 bipro will be the first personal bipro computer in the world).

Mac memory Architecture is a pain. I never managed to use it properly. (And I wonder if anyone appart from Photophop devellopers ever did.)

I do not like Microsoft way, because it is abuse of position, but I trully hate Apple way.

To come back to OpenGL/D3D what is important is what you want to do. Once you answered this question you will know what to use.

(I am french so if part of this post are not understandable please tell me).

Kha

Originally posted by masterpoi:
[b]Yeah right!!
So why has Billy made it and the others didn’t?
Yust Luck?? I don’t think so…
I bet 80% of you is running Microsoft Visual C++ on a Windows machine.
It’s true that there are some thing Microsoft could have done better…

Their position in today’s computer software market proves that they have been smarter…
Maybe not now anymore, but they have…[/b]

Im running a MAC, using REALbasic and have never soiled my pretty little hardDrive with a ****ty Microsoft product!!

Originally posted by blide:
[b]Although I like everyone else say that I hate Microsoft, and windows, I actually think microsoft did a very good job. Sure it is not very stable but that is just one “minor” problem. The system has almost no learning curve…which makes it excellent for a beginner(kinda like a mac) but on the flipside(unlike a mac) it has power underneath this simplicity! I guess I can’t really explain what I mean by power…but I still feel like I have complete control of my system(like the good old days with dos) everything of mine is customized and optomized…microsoft has done a very good job in their interfaces…it is a very logical operating system when it comes to commands…as in the right mouse button brings up what you would expect. Macs on the other side have the simple interface but thats it! There is no power underneath…and also the mac interface is not logical at all! If you ever have a problem on a mac…you need an expert to come and fix it, but on windows you can normally do it yourself.
I am not saying I think windows is way better than all other OS’s though…Linux is on its way up and i have heard good things about it…and unix will always be there. If anyone company/OS is the worst…I would have to say its apple and there damn macs!!
As for D3D vs OGL, from what I have seen opengl looks simpler to use and much more powerful than d3d…but that does not mean directx sucks, i love ddraw, dinput, dsound, dmusic! Microsoft has done a very good job so far…and the only reason why they have so many bugs is because of the power the user is given to dig into the depths of the OS and thats where the bugs are found for all OSs. Microsoft is actually able to pinpoint and solve most of our problems.
And last but surely not lease, Microsoft Office and Microsoft Visual Studio are by far the best(and I SERIOUSLY mean this) and I mean BEST tools I have ever used!!!

Damn this is much more pro-everythingmicrosoft than I was thinking but oh well…I love office, visual studio, directx, and windows is almost up there…just fix the stability, and give me a better console(like an xterm!)![/b]

If you took the time to use MACs, you would see that the HAVE MUCH MORE POWER undr the hood than any wintel machine with a much shallower leraning curve.

Originally posted by kha:
[b]Not that I like to post in those kind of threats but if you are here it must mean that you are OpenGl coders.
May I ask you a question ?
If you do an openGL prog for kids, or a video game would you make a configuration GUI in which you can settle up everything ?

Linux and Windows are not the same thing at all. Even Linus Torvald admitted that linux would never be a personal OS. If you want to make a system for a secretarian, a PR or anyone that does not understand how a computer is working you take windows.

(I am french so if part of this post are not understandable please tell me).

Kha[/b]

This is total BS. If i’m writing a program that targets people who are unfamiliar with computers, i write it for the Mac. Thats because people are starting to realise that Macs are easier, and at the same time much more powerful (500Mhz G4 faster than PIII 1GHZ).

You mean if you needed to do a program for a secratarian you would trully consider buying a G4 ?
I never said that mac was a bad plateform, I do not like the way you have to deal with memory (but it may be because I am not used to it).
What I said is that the mac is an expensive plateform.(For the price of a G4 500 Mhz you can buy a 1GHZ PC.)And that Apple was not playing fair lately.

If a firm has to buy 20 computers for secratarian pool they will not choose Mac but PC (depending on the needs it is wether celeron wether K6-2/III). And for the price of 5 G4 they will have 20 computers more than powerfull enough for typewritting.

The choice after is between windows and linux. And I still say windows is a much easier choice and will bring you really less trouble…

Kha.

kha… windows will give you less trouble in the beginning! Linux will give you less trouble in the end, and all together!

Call up windows tech support, and ask how often do they format their pcs… I did this atleast 10 times… the average was 6-8 months!!

All I have to say is…
Linux has evolved more in one month than windows has in 1 year. And it will continue to do so. It’s the OS that does anything. Maybe not now but it will. You will all see, if you haven’t seen already. The desktop is not the primary goal of the GNU/Linux OS. It’s mearly a single goal out of a wide spectrum. World domination bay-bee. But as you can see, Linux is slowly but surely getting a grip on the desktop world. KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment, etc…are all good things. You have alternatives within the alternative. Awesome. I like that. Most people like being able to decide for themselves. Windows GUI? Aww, you don’t have a choice my friend. You are stuck with it. Aside from the desktop wars, I see no reason at all why Linux will not conquer within the next 2-3 years. Driver support for the latest hardware is getting better by the minute. We can all forget the NVidia thing now. Sure it took forever, but it kicks 3dfx in the teeth with no apologies. Sure they are closed source. I hated that too. But I got over it. I’ve yet to see anything top them.

Windows got it’s head in the market because the PC scene was not yet mainstream when it debuted. And anyone and everyone (just about) came into the Windows thing from MS-DOS. Which at the time was the definitive OS of the PC unless you used a Mac (or possibly Amiga). I should know…I was there. Linux on the other hand is rather new to the mainstream PC scene, and I must say has caused quite a ruccus. That’s good. Intrest has been taken.

Linux is struggling to suite everyone’s needs and yes, at this moment is still considered geek-ware. That will all change. You can’t tell me that if you sat some suit or CEO in front of a Win95/98/2000/blah/blah machine he’d know exactly what to do. I know because I deal with it every day. It makes no difference what-so-ever. Computers intimidate average joe’s. The OS it is running is insignifigant. All they want is to be able to check their freaking email and do some online stock trading. Whoopie.

Microsoft got the computer/software industry into it’s slimy coorperate grips simply because they were at the right place at the right time. Nothing more nothing less. And from this they have become an icon in the modern world as ‘THE computer company’. More and more people are waking up and seeing there is more to this industry than just Microsoft. Which is why Linux is going to screw them dry without even considering the use of vaseline.

I must admit. There are some things I love about Windows and the genere and there are things that I totaly abhor about it. Linux just seems to grow and grow, while Windows sits and stagnates because it can. Microsoft does not innovate they just like to say they do. I’ve not yet managed to depict the difference between 95/98/2000 other than GUI enhancements and the amount RAM this freaking vampire seems to requires to run. Linux is the only thing that I see happening in the industry that excites me. Finnaly we see some REAL innovation. We see something actually challenging Microsoft’s reign. And we see something that’s doing a real damn fine job at that. Competition in any market is good. I don’t desire Linux to be the next Windows. I merely like the fact that ther is something other than Windows. You can take it or leave it. That’s the way it should be.

I hope nobody has their panties in a knot over this post. I am extremely tired right now, so if this seems to be a pointless rant in your eyes then I’m sorry. I felt the need to say something. I wasted my time reading your posts so the least you could do is read mine =). Any and all type-o’s were made on purpose. My bed is bekoning and spell checking is for the meek and insucure. That and it’s a total waste of time.

Since this was originally a D3D related thread, I may as well say something on topic. I’ve never tried D3D thus I have no quams about it. But if it’s anything like the Win32 API, may it rot in hell. =)

Originally posted by Noah:
Im running a MAC, using REALbasic and have never soiled my pretty little hardDrive with a ****ty Microsoft product!!

And does that make you more a man?

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses (not quite sure I wanted to start this much of a debate, but it was a good learning experience for me). To be honest, I do work a little bit with UNIX (and VI --> learning curve is definitely there), but I prefer Win NT for the time being (who knows what the future holds).

For now, I think I’ll stick with the Windows enviornment and program under C/C++ complied with VC++. Hopefully after reading some articles/books on both DX and OpenGL, I’ll be able to make a solid decision on with API to program with.

Thanks again.