Set OpenXR active in Oculus (Noobi!)

I am trying to get an Oculus Quest 2 to function on a new VR ready Dell laptop running windows 11 (64-bit) w/ 64GB. It’s a i9 build w/ an RTX 3080Ti.

IT just reloaded the OS for me (this is a business PC) and it only has Edge and the Meta app loaded. The Meta app was loaded as administrator.

The issue (which was present before we reloaded the OS) has been that the Meta app will not let me toggle the “OpenXR Runtime” to “Set Oculus as active” (the button is greyed out).

As I also tried before, I then loaded the “OpenXR for mixed reality” from the Microsoft store, but the problem persists.

Meta doesn’t seem to have any other suggestions. I’m hoping you might have some insights into what is going on. I’m not a developer and am hoping I don’t have to become one to figure this out. I’ve tried to browse your support pages, but I’m totally out of my depth and don’t know where to start.

One thing I’ve noticed from your “conformant products” page is that OpenXR isn’t specifically compatible with windows 11. Should we try Windows 10?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice rest of your day.

Bob

Oh, I forgot to mention, when I try to “load” the OpenXR for mixed reality (plugin?) from the microsoft app store, I get an error: “Something went wrong. Error communicating with the mixed reality openxr service.” when I try to load it.

I’ve heard of people having this same issue with the Oculus app not letting them click the button.

The alternative is you can manually do the same thing this button does:

1. open regedit
  2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1, create whatever keys are missing along the way if needed
  3. create a “string value” with the name ActiveRuntime and the value C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json (adjust if your Oculus app is installed elsewhere).

Should look like this in the end:

Hopefully this will be good enough.

And also, forget everything about “Windows Mixed Reality” - these tools are only for other brands of headsets like the HP Reverb. They won’t do you any good on Oculus.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.