saeasonal greetings

Why beers in New Zealand are in paper boxes ? :smiley:

I saw it in a documentary called Braindead or something.
Be carefull with these movies. My friend got brainwashed after watching some documentary movie called saw. :stuck_out_tongue:
RigidBody: Donā€™t worry. I know that law in Alaska forbids mooses to have sex in public but I donā€™t think lawyers have declared any public rights for zombies yet.

Yeah, guess I also needed to let some steam out. :wink:

motorboat fury not going too well then?

motorboat fury not going too well then?
Hehe, I wish I had more time for this game - I could implement some shadows and create better sceneries and characters. I have a full-time job and Iā€™m involved in another project, so it ainā€™t easy. Besides, all people I had in the ā€œteamā€ (and there were 4 of them) wrote 0 lines of code, painted 0 texels of textures and made 0 samples of sound. And it wasnā€™t my idea to do motorboat racing game. It was theirs :smiley: It was supposed to be 3-6 months project done in spare time for 3-4 people but it turned out to be 1-year project done by just me.
But guess what - Iā€™m nearly done. Just some minor fixes, 2-3 menus, one more sound and installer. Seems like a few days of work, but taking into account I have only ~5 days per month to work on this game it could take some time. But donā€™t worry - next weekend is just around the corner :slight_smile:
So, Iā€™m gonna finish it soon and then Iā€™m going to throw up. As soon as I put myself together I can finish my framework and probably start another project.

Itā€™s gonna be my first attempt to publish a game (or any product whatsoever) and I believe this is going to be the most difficult part. Anyone has some experiences to share? Should I bomb garagegames or reflexive with mail untill they respond? Or should I make a 400MB trojan horse out of this game and let it spread itself?

give me a username/password to type in so I can download the demo. Iā€™ve a vested interest in water implementations, and want to have a play with yours.
Iā€™m not going to email you, just post it here and let us all have a go.

let us all have a go
I will. As soon as demo version is out :stuck_out_tongue:
Donā€™t get so excited about the water - itā€™s just standard implementation: reflection mixed with refraction based on fresnel term + specular lighting + foam layer.
Iā€™ve allready designed better (those long train trips :wink: ) - just need to implement it one day before it gets outdated. As I said - wish I had more time.

Iā€™m not excitedā€¦Iā€™m never excited.
I am merely curious.

I think Iā€™ve found just the publishing solution I was looking for. Garage Games is lanuching new site: http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/
Seems like a portal where anyone can publish his game with a litle marketing kick. I wonder if it will also cover e-commerce.

Ok, but I think Iā€™d better stop talking off-topic here.

jup. i think we need a bit more discipline in this thread :smiley:

Yes, especially in this thread :smiley:

what? You mean we should stick to the topic of seasonal greetings?
see you in the chinese new year thenā€¦

what? You mean we should stick to the topic of seasonal greetings?
Hehe, thatā€™s a result of sarcastic response to sarcastic response to sarcastic responseā€¦

hey zed, about that pic. - real-time or pre-rendered? :smiley:

I believe itā€™s neither pre-rendered or realtime. Itā€™s a new approach to computer graphics called real-life. According to Microsoft ā€˜believersā€™ itā€™s child easy to do such renderings in DirectX 10 and impossible in Direct 9 and OpenGL.
Therefore my 2007 wish list contain one new item: I wish that Long Zheng will have an OpenGL application as his master thesis (I donā€™t even care if he is IT or student at all)

Dont waste your time to read this crap (ā€œthrow away OpenGLā€, ā€œthis is not fakeā€) - just look at images:
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060817/directx10-fabulous/
Iā€™ve seen similar posts all over internet.

And then something about the author:
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4598924090.html
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4123497783.html

Now does Microsoft want to piss me off? Or does Microsoft want a piece of me?

Now I donā€™t have anything against Microsoftā€™s products, but I find their marketing strategies simply insulting.

lol

people are sure stupid

p.s. I love office 2007 :slight_smile:

ā€œDont waste your time to read this crap (ā€œthrow away OpenGLā€, ā€œthis is not fakeā€) - just look at imagesā€¦ā€

I saw that back when it appeared.
Iā€™ve seen techy article from big sites about how real DX10 games will look. I find that often they donā€™t behave as journalist but more like children.

On Extremetech, a writer did 2 articles about ā€œgaming sucks on Linuxā€. The second one was more of a flame bate and even another Extremetech writer dennounced him for that.
Iā€™m sure he wasnā€™t fired but yes, he deserves to be.

Arenā€™t playstations 1,2 and 3 running under Linux or at least have development kits under this OS ? I must admit they always were and are since I had the devel kit for PS1 under Linux thought the doc was all in japaneeseā€¦

really nice links, k_szczech- i think they really tell us something:

1. in the year 2007, there are still people who do not know that you can have a photograph showing mickey mouse on mars if you know how to use photoshop (although i have to admit it would be much more thrilling if someone found out that microsoft faked those ā€œscreenshotsā€ using GIMP)

2. look at the 4th screenshot from the top: directx 10 makes fish look more ugly. well, thatā€™s really an improvement.

jide, afaik ps3 is running opengl+linux. it is (probably) only marketing, but sony themselves say that a ps3 can replace a PC. (my guess is that it cannot replace a pc in the very state that it is when you buy it in a shop, but i think it has all hardware capabilities to replace a pc. who knows, when some time has passed, we may see a ps3 booting up into a bootmanager, from where you can select if you want to start the original os or maybe, say, a ubuntu)

(although i have to admit it would be much more thrilling if someone found out that microsoft faked those ā€œscreenshotsā€ using GIMP)
:smiley:
You can actually find first pair of images at Microsoft site - the first one states: ā€œDirectX 9ā€, the other image states: ā€œDirectX 10 concept imageā€ - but in the blog I referred to, that has been removed and further photoshop (gimp?) work has been done (the DirectX 9 image was mixed with it to ā€œproveā€ itā€™s not fake).

Hehe. I was thinking - If some company would develop a game with great graphics and say that their game uses DirectX 10 - then it would be possible to use such bloggers by sending some screenshots and movies for review. They would be happy to announce that DirectX 10 has proven itā€™s quality. This way such company could gain some more marketing opportunities. Who cares that in the end it would turn out that they use OpenGL+OpenAL + Direct X10 ā€¦ for keyboard and joystick? They didnā€™t lie to anyone - theyā€™re clean and bloggers have accidentally praised something that Microsoft hates. What a bloody messā€¦ :slight_smile:

On Extremetech, a writer did 2 articles about ā€œgaming sucks on Linuxā€
Yeah, and Iā€™ve seen an article explaining why AMD is better for games than Intel. Something about games compiled with SSE optimizations turned off.
Iā€™ve tried SSE on my 64-bit Athlon. Thanks but no thanks. Dot product on 4-component vector (yes, paragraph aligned) - 11 instructions in SSE path working 30% slower than 19 instrictions in FPU path. Iā€™ll have to run these tests on my friendā€™s Intel. I always preferred AMD but seems like latest generation of CPUā€™s may change that. My next will probably be Intel.

Itā€™s now more clear then ever:
AMD (+ ATI) + Microsoft = family
And the head of this family is Don Gates?
Itā€™s a monopoly threat. The opposing force (the bright side of the force) would probably be Intel + NVIDIA + IBM + Sun but who knows.