Quad buffer stereo 3D fails full-screen

Hi everyone.

I have an Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 running on a Win 7 64bit machine with the latest graphics driver (276.42) and a Samsung 2233rz monitor. The system I put together for Quad Buffered Stereo 3D apps.

Using the Nvidia control panel I enable Stereo and when I run a simple OpenGL based app with quad buffered (window) Stereo 3D it renders just fine.

However, when I try and run my app in full-screen mode, the stereo rendering stops, and monoscopic image. This is completely unusual to my experience.

Upon further review, if I set the window size to the maximum display width resolution (in this case 1680) it still renders stereo fine.

BUT when I set the window height to above 970 (of a maximum 1050) it then stops rendering stereo.

Any suggestions on where I can explore and understand what is happening?

Thank you.

Getting short on video memory ?
It sounds more like a nvidia bug.

WOW, so you think this could be a video memory issue? I am trying to render 1920x1080 Stereo 3D at 120 Frames per second.

I would think that an Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 could handle it… since my app is super lite…

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

How much video ram do you have ?
With a QBS framebuffer, you double the ram needed by main framebuffer (twice the color, depth, stencil …) so it can become a problem, especially with MSAA/FSAA.

Short of complaining to Nvidia, no other clue.


I believe I only have 512MB - at least that’s what I get from looking at the “system topology” from the Nvidia control panel (see below).

It would be great to know if someone else has had the same problem and solved it with a larger video card - before I go out and buy a larger one.

Any thoughts? Can I help it by setting “System video memory” in Win7???


NVIDIA System Information report created on: 01/12/2012 16:41:18
System name: ECHOPIXEL-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: Quadro FX 3700
Driver version: 276.42
DirectX support: 10
CUDA Cores: 112
Core clock: 500 MHz
Shader clock: 1250 MHz
Memory clock: 800 MHz (1600 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 256-bit
Total available graphics memory: 2303 MB
Dedicated video memory: 512 MB GDDR3
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1791 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.92.6F.00.10
IRQ: 48
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2


nvui.dll NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdsync.exe NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
NVCPL.DLL NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUIR.dll 3.7.800.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 3.7.800.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll NVIDIA Video Server
NVSTVIEW.EXE NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo Viewer
NVSTTEST.EXE NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application
NVSTRES.DLL NVIDIA 3D Vision Module (0)
nvDispSR.dll NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll NVIDIA Display Server
nvGameSR.dll NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

Hi everyone

Just to update the thread.

I tested an Nvidia app that the driver installs to test opengl stereo rendering (NVStereoUtilityOGL.exe), it goes full screen when you click the “F” key.

So with this app and by clicking “F” the stereo rendering holds.

I went into a bit more detail of my testing and noticed that stereo rendering stops if I click on the “maximize” icon on the window, or if I manually resize the window to have a height a bit larger than 1000 pixels. It does not appear to care for width size.

I then tested my app and stereo holds if I run it full screen from the start (hard coded to show no window borders or title bar), but it stops if I manually re-size as I describe above.

I have never experienced this, just wondering if anybody has had similar performance or could suggest a direction for me to explore that either the driver, video card or OpenGL registers are working correctly.

Thank you,

Hi everyone

I just got this fixed with some help from the nvidia developers forum.

I disabled all GDI features via the “Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows” menu. Type “effects” inside the start menu search field and it gets listed. I selected “best performance” settings.

hat got it working correctly, I knew it was going to be a super simple thing. I had tried to deactivate the win aero stuff, but that had not got it working.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.