OpenXR Support for Unity?

Will there be anything like an OpenXR plugin using unity XR plugin management system on new Unity releases?

I ask this because Unreal has OpenXR support built-in now and Unity is very hush on what they are doing with OpenXR. I have only seen that they are involved in some way with supporting the development of OpenXR. It would greatly simplify my development efforts to support multiple platforms with my apps.

1 Like

Exactly the information that I’m in need as well. Unity’s stance seems to be “we have made it possible that somebody creates an OpenXR integration into Unity”. Valve/SteamVR have said that they have moved their development efforts towards OpenXR, and we might get Unity support through that. Other than that, I don’t think we have any idea about this. Would be very appreciated to get even the slightest bits of information regarding this, as I would presume it greatly affects all smaller developers who aim to produce software for a wide range of devices.

Hello, Unity just released a preview version of OpenXR support for 2020.2. This initial preview version only supports desktop windows OpenXR runtimes, though we will be expanding this as we get more feedback on our implementation.

OpenXR Announcement

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.