OpenGL version outdated

I am running OpenSuse Leap 15.1 with KDE and a AMD Radeon R7 240 video card. The Radeon driver is installed as is Mesa.

glxinfo | grep ':' shows:

name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
GLX version: 1.4
GLX extensions:
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: X.Org (0x1002)
    Device: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0, 4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default, LLVM 7.0.1) (0x6617)
    Version: 18.3.2
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 4096MB
    Unified memory: no
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 4.5
    Max compat profile version: 4.5
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0, 4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default, LLVM 7.0.1)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.3.2
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 18.3.2
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
1104 GLXFBConfigs:

When I go to Display and Monitor and look at Compositor options the highest OpenGL version showing is 3.1. If I understand the glxinfo I should see something higher than that. What am I missing?

Good question. I’d agree with your assessment. It certainly sounds like the window manager may not be using the same OpenGL libraries using the same environment as apps run from your shell window are.

You might search the OpenSuSE Forums for others with this same issue, and failing that consider posting a question to the forums on this.

Hi @MatchpointOK, I’m not sure what the cause of this is. I do know OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 is intended to be a rock solid distro which means slow updates. So far graphics support in Leap is limited to what the Kernel 4.19 can support.

A few follow-ups on this. I’m also running OpenSuSE Leap and I find the updates to be fairly frequent (they’re just not continuous like Tumbleweed). Also, your graphics support isn’t strictly limited to kernel support. You can for instance use the NVidia proprietary graphics drivers (by installing them from the NVidia package repository, for instance).

Scanning MatchpointOK’s active thread on the OpenSuSE forums, it’s sounding like this OpenGL available version issue might be tied up with running in a VMWare virtual machine.

Hi @Dark_Photon, that’s my bad I should have been more specific about the updates and graphics drivers.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.