OPENGL BASED GAMES CRASH!!

You’re kidding, no one has a solution yet that will work? That sucks, I never knew how many others had the same problem I have had!

Hey there,

I’ve been having exactly the same problem and ive tried older drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html This seems to help and prolongs freezing, if it freezes at all. This leads me to believe that this is a software conflict and nothing to do with hardware or temps etc. i have just tried the microsoft agp bug fix and will report my results.

Geza

However, many people here posted problems regarding ATI Radeon cards, for example I have this problem with my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.

Ive spent the last 3 weeks researching the problems involved in desktop crashes and lockups (PC Freeze) and here are my findings.
First of all my system spec.

XPSP1 Pro
AMD XP 3200+
MSI K600 DELTA FISR (VIA chipset)
80GB ATA Maxtor
80GB SATA Maxtor
Creative 5.1 Live Digital
Leadtek FX5900 A350TDH
Optorite DVD-RW+/-
Kingston matched DDR RAM

First of all if you have a VIA chipset you MUST install the VIA 4 in 1 drivers which include the latest AGP drivers. If you dont, this can cause a lot of problems with with DirectX causing lock-ups which isnt readily apparant unless you know what your looking for.
This will also solve a problem where you use an AGP card but it shows: AGP (PCI Mode) rather than AGP x4 or x8
Uninstall any maufacture’s own VIA drivers and install the 4 in 1.

Second, and this is going to hurt Im afraid.
If your using a VIA chipset and your using a Creative card of any model then this is almost certainly causing lockup’s and desktop flashes. This si a well documented problem that Creative dont seem to advertise.
You can test the issue for yourself.
First install the VIA drivers and see if that solves your problems.
If not, remove the Creative card and activate the onboard sound for your motherboard (maybe AC-97 in some cases)
If your freezes stop or are reduced significantly then youve got your problem licked. You now need to go out and get yourself a Hercules, Philip or Terratec sound card.

Above all make sure your BIOS is upto date, your drivers in all areas are upto date.
Its a good idea to use Classical Windows rather than the sugar coated XP windows interface. Like Active desktop in Win98, XP’s interface is buggy as hell and a resource hog.

On a side note, my Optorite DVD-RW was causing lockups too. Ive replace that and alls well now.

im going to test it again but now with 256ram xtra

I have an athlon and no problems.
Damn junk pentiums.
It sounds like the mobo chipset drivers.
download the latest chipset drivers for your mobo.
If that doesnt do it i would go to your video card manufactuers web site and use there drivers.
Its definatly a driver issue.
some times the detonator drivers do not work with oem cards.
But your mobo drivers will cause the same issue so make sure to go to there manufactuer site and get the latest chipset drivers.

Hi,

I have been having the same problems as you guys. Whenever I play COD or SWKOTOR I get about 30seconds gameplay before the PC reboots itself.

System:
Gigabyte GA-8IHXP mb
Creative 4600 ti
WinXP
I have the latest drivers and chipset etc. for all of my hardware and latest windows updates.

I have been playing both games extensively for weeks before the problems occured. For this reason I think it must either be a windows update or the latest nVidia driver as I haven’t had problems before I updated it.

I did try moving my cache to my second drive and that did help, I can now play for 10 mins before the PC reboots.

I think the cache is related but is a symptom of a software issue in the nVidia driver.

I will try instaling an older driver and see what happens, I’ll let you know.

I didn’t get round to rolling back my driver. Instead I switched off the two tick boxes in the OpenGl dialogue box in display settings.

(I can’t tell you what they are because my power supply just blew up!)

Can this be a coincidence? When I checked on the Creative site there is some info on VIA chipsets which says you need at least a 400w power supply, however I don’t have a via chipset.

This is driving me crazy…

STABILITY FIX FOR VIA-BASED BOARDS WORKING WITH GEFORCE CARDS:
http://adsl.cutw.net/dlink-dsl200-via.html

i have the same problem as everyone i just bought a geforce fx5200 and installed it on my hp pavilion 753 n and everytime i play counter-strike it freezes after a couple of minutes and my monitor turns off and i hear the last sound i heard in counter-strike repeated while the screen is black.
So far i read all the solutions but i dont know to do it can anyone help me?

I got mymachine working, it was crashing in MOHAA after 5 min of playing. Had to hard start the computer after the crash. I went into the bios and set for the safe defalt settings then configured my lan card receive buffer size to 64k bytes ( was 32 bytes ) in the advanced properties. Lastly moved the pagefile to my D drive and set it for 300 min and 1.5X max I think the bios chande did it, but now the game does not crash. The problem does not look like it is drivers or opengl related, but bios settings.

Yes well, my problem returned also (Same deal, OpenGL games crashing after about 10 minutes),

I’m running
AMD XP 2600+ (Barton Core)
ASUS A7N8X Delux
Generic Ti4200 64Mb
Generic 512 2700DDR

The only thing that I can do that works is lower my FSB from 166 to 155, it pisses me off to do such a thing, but its the only thing that seems to stop my games from crashing every 10 minutes. Im going to try a few more of the tips that have been posted (Must fix this problem). Lots of excellent suggestions in this thread.

Same thing happens with my Warcraft III. 10 minutes, freeze, wait one minute, unfreeze, dropped. =/ I’ve tried nearly everything on this thread. I have not tried using back drivers from that one page, since I wasn’t sure on which link to download and there wasn’t any discriptions… My specs:

CPU: AMD XP 22))+ 266MHz FSB
Motherboard: Gigabyte 7VAX
750MB DDR RAM
MSI GeForce4 Ti 4200 128Mb

my old k6-2-450o/c@613mhz with a voodoo3 pci
16mb,/128 mb /8gb+20gb,isa sb-awe-32, runs all the open gl games well, and even will run
win 95 and win98 in dual boot. my duron 1.3
384mb,2-40gb raid-0,ti4200 128mb,sb 5.1,
wont run many games in open gl either, but it does run unreal2003,and will not run win95
i have directx 9.0b installed on both and even have directx 9 drivers for the sound and
voodoo3. the voodoo3 runs at 176core/176mem
the ti is at the factory 250core and 446mem
the duron is not o/c. i can o/c if i need it.
the k6 system even runs ut2003 in 640x480 16 bit color.both sytems are linked to play head to head racing and shooting games. it would be nice for the duron system to actually have better graphics than the rather old k6, software mode looks like im going back to my old amd-486-120 system i had before. i have just started to try
patches,but most of the good head to head games to play with your buddies seem to be opengl, however some racing games are playing good on both systems in head to head.
after all isnt running your buddy off the road and then shooting his @#$$ while having a few beers whats its all about? not looking for some stupid patch to make what should be
a rather good system just work.and the graphics should not look better on my k6 thats pathetic!.and it wont even run windows 95 i still cant believe that.but the new d3d
games look good on the duron/ti system. the old AT still rocks!its only been upgraded 4 times!286,amd386sx33/intel387coprocessor, amd486-dx4-120@133mhz,k6-200@233,k6-2-450@613
the duron 1.3 was a duron 900,but was fried
after a stable year at 1255,1.8v,54c.the old silicon used to just shut down but i guess not no more. if i manage to get most of the
games to work on the duron i want to build a new system maybe a 3000+,or athlon 64,theres a ati 9600se for $199 cdn and comes with halflife2 coupon has anyone tried this card?
i know its a cheaper card, or should i get the 9800 thats $300cdn? is ati better with opengl? why wont a duron run win95?

check your bios

Originally posted by dan345:
STABILITY FIX FOR VIA-BASED BOARDS WORKING WITH GEFORCE CARDS:
http://adsl.cutw.net/dlink-dsl200-via.html

Heya, i cannot find a download link on this paeg for the patch :S Could someone please help me? thanks

Geza

Okay, here’s what I’ve been able to gather, at least from the call to tech support over at asylum,(running GeForce 5200 256mb ddr), and thier answer, for most of us is "we only give minimul OpenGL support. DirectX is the wave of the future and all the game manufacturers are going to be phasing Open GL support out. Personally, I think it SUCKS!!! I’m having the same problems as the rest of you and feel your pain. My best suggestion would be, that if possible, we start writing and complaining. Maybe if they get enough complaints, something will be done to bring back the support (if what they told me is true, and I know writing and complaining sounds stupid). In the mean time, I’ll be seeing what I can do. I’ll post a message and let you know what I come up with, if anything. I’m too stubborn to give up. Hang in there[/b]

Originally posted by thecrimsonghost:
You’re kidding, no one has a solution yet that will work? That sucks, I never knew how many others had the same problem I have had!

I had the same problem,
First I’ve done the registry thing from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp…&NoWebContent=1
I had the same problem
After
I’ve downgraded my nvidia drivers and install this one 29.42_winxp.exe http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

AND WOW!!! it worked at last!!! Call of Duty doesn’t freeze anymore…

I have a EVGA TI 4200 and Win XP with AMD Athlon 2000+

Hope it works for you…

Tell me please…

Bye and Good luck

The thing is the open GL of these drivers is version 1.3, and the newest drivers is 1.4 and is causing the crash…

Originally posted by dr. death:
[b]check your bios

[/b]

I have the same problem. This started on one system, I replaced all the parts into a new one and the same issue occured.
System with new components in ():
Athlon XP 2500 (XP 2800 Barton)
WD 80 gig with 8 meg cache (added a new one)
1 gig Corsair PC 3200 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 440MX (PNY FX 5700 Ultra)
AOpen AFK9G Nforce2400 chipset
Creative sound blast 5.1
Pioneer DVD116
Plextor 52x CDRW

I cannot load COD or Wolfenstien ET for longer then 5 secto 2 min. Any Ideas?

having xp pro
amd 2600
gforce 4 ti
2x512 mb intern mem
soundblaster live

and i cant play call of duty
et rtcw or jedi

i tried all whats on this both pages everything !!!

also got me a new mobo
cpu memory and psu

i lost most of my mony here

man does no one has a good answer

i am at astage that i trow out this freaking pc