OPENGL BASED GAMES CRASH!!

OMG please help we have the same problem we have PNY 5600s running on P4 1.5 768 ram and intel board tried the driver thing not working. Tried the Case thing not working. tried brand new cards not working… Please

I’ve been experiencing this problem as well. Tried most of the tricks too, 3 different systems, replaced the vid card. Only difference is sometimes I can play for 6 hours non stop, then other times only 15 minutes til I have to reset. Monitor hibernates, sounds fade and system locks up.

ghetto card- PNY 5600FX

System specs:
P4 2.4 (zantec cooling)
asus p4p800 deluxe
1gig corsair 3200 ram
some case with 3 cooling fans
600w psu (atx compusa clone)
XP os
All drivers are up to date.

Games that this occurs in; BF42, CoD, WC3, NWN… DAoC runs fine though :\

My good ol’ geforce2 gts might come out of the box (again!).

Originally posted by brew:
[b]Hi there, I have recently bought a system which is P4 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, HTT etc,
PALIT Daytona Geforce FX 5600,
I have windows XP, DX 9.0b, 1 GIG of PC400 DDR ram (running at Dual Channel)
Gigabyte GA-8PENXP board.
Ok, so when I run any game which uses OPENGL, after a varying time (approx 5 to 10 mins), the screen goes blank, monitor switches off and PC locks up!)
Please help!
I disabled the support for enhanced CPU instruction sets in display properties and the games no longer crashed, but then I had no real OPENGL lighting did I??
I would be grateful of any help guys!

[/b]

I have the same exact problem with a geforce fx 5600 256mb pny manu.
I KNOW its the video card cause ive gone through everything and even got a error only once saying a critical error happened durning crash when i rebooted. It only happens in open gl and very rarely direct 3d. I dun wana reformat cause i have too much stuff to put back if i do. Everything is up to date, i tried open gl to direct 3d wrapping and nothing works. help plz someone

Hello all. as I’m reading this topic, i think you’re all having trouble with how to setup your mobo-bios. usualy when games throw u out like this it has something to do with your bois setup. Things like fast-writes (which gave me loads of problems.) and video ram cache-able can create such crashes. so this should be turned of. U must also check for the memory-timings to be set up right. Shadow-ram anything should also be off. system bios should be cache-able, video ram and bios not. (Mayor crach trigger). furthermore, check the IRQ settings of your system, if your videocard shares IRQ’s with some other hardware device, then U should change the other device’s IRQ to something that isn’t so heavily used as your videocard.
furthermore the newest drivers will be advisable (U might just have to be patient, Geforce FX is still very new, the drivers might still not be 100% bug-free). I can also advise to install the newest service packs for your windows-systems. More debugging tips : take 3dmark 2001 or 2003, and see if that locks up. If it does, take a look at which test causes the problem, than u have a lead to hold on to, when u are looking to find out what going wrong. Ah, one more thing that people often forget, but might be as important as video-card drivers : Mainboard drivers (especcialy AGP-gart drivers.)
The most important hardware your videocard uses are : CPU, AGP, system memory, And of course the gpu itself. I hope u all can make more games run with the tips I just gave u.

Greetings from the netherlands, D1G1T4LL

WARNING: If u deceide to make any changes in your bois, or go tweaking in your regestry :
MAKE NOTES, ON YOUR ORIGINAL SETTINGS, I WON’T BE THERE IF SH*T HAPPENS TO YOUR SYSTEM.

Correction : not all of u off course, some of you, before anyone gets insulted.

I believe that is for direct 3d (3dmark)

Hi all. Erm, I too had the same problem : without any significant HW/SW changes all my games based on the q3 engine (q3, rtcw:et, …) started crashing after 5 seconds of actual gaming, taking win2k with it.
After reading through this thread I found the solution !
In order to do a decent defrag, I move my OS controlled pagefile from C : to D: and gave it a fixed size of 700Mb (I have 512Mb RAM btw).
Now apparently, that’s the problem ! For some odd reason w2k tries to expand the pagefile (go figure why 512 + 700Mb wouldn’t be enough !?!) and that crashed MY system completely. I adjusted the pagefile properties to minsize=700 and maxsize=1500 and now everything works again! I didn’t even have to reboot !! :wink:

thx a bunch Orcinus for the tip :-))))

oops, I meant thx simonator …

Just to add to this ongoing discussion, I rebuilt my system with a dual-boot 98/XP setup to test on another OS. Wolfenstein locked up after approx 15 minutes on 98se as well. Same symptoms; screen goes blank, eternal sound loop, and only recourse is to hard reset system. Totally blew my mind as I thought it HAD to be XP related. I’m beginning to think I’ll never be able play these games again!!

System:
P4 3.0 w/ 800mhz fsb
512 ram
palit daytona geforce fx5600 256m

Hi all,

My problem is very similar: my system freezes, go back to windows, crashs,3dmark2001 crash, etc…

After 2 weeks of reformating, switching video board, changing mobo setup, installing winxp patchs, reading forums, googling the internet, stress, etc, I give up and I´ve send my pc to the tecnical assistance…

The big deal is my 512 ram card…they only changed to another new card and VOIALA, the pc is working perfectly!

Because this, here is the tip: Before you gone crazy, try to change the ram card.

Thanks to all,
Tiago Serafim

I had the same problem, Im running a Ti4200 (just a generic 64mb one) anyhow, the only thing that was different to when I run it was the “Disable Support for Enchanced CPU Instruction Sets” wasnt ticked (you can find that option by right clicking your desktop, then go to properties, then settings, then Advanced, Geforce4 Ti4200 in my case, then OpenGL Settings),

Since the initial thread was really about WARCRAFT3, i’d like to say that I had the same problem, WAR3 (and only WAR3, mind you, Quake3 and the rest were working fine keeps on crashing ever since I upgraded to an Athlon 1800+, from Duron. I tried a lot of possible software fixes(updates, patches, even the BIOS!) and it didn’t fix it, but the solution i found was:
Downclock the processor FSB(266 for the Athlon) to 200mhz, my old Duron setting!!:confused: Now it works perfectly, cept I have to contend with a 1.2 instead of a 1.8 processor speed. Arr…

Ok, I’ve got:

Gforce4 TI4600
Windows XP

Problem: Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, Starcraft (although it takes longer), as well as a host of other non blizzard games will crash usually within 20 minutes. Game screen freezes, sound loops, and you cannot exit the screen or restart the computer unless you just turn it off from the tower.

I know for a FACT this is NOT:

1. A driver problem (I have tried new+old ones)
  2. A heating problem
  3. A virus problem

Here’s the catch to this freeze that may be the key for some of you to solve it…when I’m on my college local network connection, or any network for that matter, these games do not crash…even in single player(not online). As SOON as the computer is at home, and I no longer have the network connection, the games freeze again constantly. What COULD the network be doing to prevent the crashes…can anyone make a connection here?

NOTE: Do you think it has to do with BIOS? (if so please tell me exactly what to do)
Do you think is might be DirectX?

I have thesame problem
Call of duty and some other games freeze and bring me an windows error report so i’m back in windows. Sometimes my pc even reboots.
It’s driving me INSANE. I-N-S-A-N-E!!!

I use a (Leadtek) Geforce 4 ti4200 with 128mb and 4x AGP

I tried almost EVERYTHING I ever read about this problem but I really don’t have a clue wat causes this problems.
If you have:
Plz e-mail to Solid_Snake375@hotmail.com

Thank you for your time all!
Merry Christmas and a happy new year :wink:

ohja i forgot
where can i edit windows pagefile

grtz

I had the same problem, Im running a Ti4200, the only thing that was different to when I run it was the “Disable Support for Enchanced CPU Instruction Sets” wasnt ticked (you can find that option by right clicking your desktop, then go to properties, then settings, then Advanced, Geforce4 Ti4200 in my case, then OpenGL Settings)

WOW That’s IT !!! Thank to You!!!

Can someone plz tell me all their opengl settings that are working.
On moment I have

Ticked: Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction sets.
Ticked: Enable conformant Opengl texture clamp behavior.

Default color depth (for textures):
Always use 16bpp

Buffer-flipping mode:
Auto-select

Vertical sync:
Always off (this one has to be off FOR SURE!)

grtz

I’m shocked…

Couple hours ago i wrote, that everything is just all right…

but now - i’ve got the same problem that i’ve had befor. WITH THIS OPTIONS MARKED…

I dunno what to do.

hi all

im having the same problem… games crash, lockups, sound loops sometimes when games crash…

ive tested nba live 2004 (dunno if this requires opengl), war3 and splinter cell and im having problem with all those…

my system is:

-atlon 2600+
-asus a7n8x-x (its not the mobo, ive tested another asus a7n8x-x in my pc and it didnt solved problem)
-2x 256 ram 333mhz
-PNY geforce fx 5600 256MB
-400w psu
-Win XP SP1, all drivers updated, ive tested win XP w/o SP1 and it crashed as well. the bios is not updated, its the only thing i didnt try.

i dunno what to do, warcraft 3 gets fatal error and gets back to windows, and says something like memory could not be “read” -or- “written”, and something like 0x000010 (u know, memory addresses)

ive tried each 256 ram card sepparately and it didnt solved the problem…

ive downclocked the processor fsb and it APPARENTLY solved the problem,but i didnt test it too much, and i guess this just changes the fact i can play more time before the system crash(i dont think it’ll solve completely the problem, and i dont want my processor working at lower speed anyways, ive paid and i want to use what i paid for )

so much ppl have the same problem, i hope someone find out what is the cause and tell us the solution…

thx

hmmm about last post…

i tried to change the fsb and downclock my processor to an atlon 2000+, and now its working perfectly…

could it be the processor???