Open GL for Windows XP

I have the very same problem with the OpenGl support in win xp. My Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200 seemed to work with MOHAA, Jedi Knight 2 and other OpenGl games. I tried to update my video drivers with the Nvidia Detonators and these games stoped working showing that there is no OpenGl support. After istalling the original drivers from the cd the problem was still there… Help!!!
Contact me at perculin@hotmail.com

Hi, I have been having problems with opengl games in windows xp and the only solution after many tries has been to download Nvidia driver 41.07 from http://www.msi.com.tw. This got MDK2 to work again and it got Neverwinter Nights to run. In NN, however, the config utility says it can’t find an opengl driver. Anyway I hope this helps people who have had no luck with anything else.

Note on installing driver for those who need detailed instructions:

This driver is unlike the regular nvidia drivers which have their own install program.

The way I installed it was to:
First run the 4107xp.exe and specify a folder to extract to (there are a lot of files so it would be good to extract it to a new folder)

1. uninstall the current nvidia drivers on your system (and then reboot as it will ask you to)
  2. When winxp boots up it installs it’s own geforce4 4400 driver
  3. Go to controlpanel->system
  4. click on the hardware tab
  5. click on the device manager button
  6. double click on “display-adaptors”
  7. right click on the driver that shows up
  8. choose “update driver”
  9. choose “install from a specific location” then hit next
  10. choose “don’t search…” hit next
  11. click on have disk
  12. browse to where you extracted your driver
  13. double click on the .inf file that shows up

hopefully your new driver installed smoothly and your computer now works like mine did.

I heard this suggestion about this msi driver from another forum and the fact that it uses “update driver” to install instead of using nvidia’s install program may have something to do with why it works. I had attempted to fix the problems by uninstalling and reinstallg nvidia’s drivers but what would happen was microsoft’s geforce4 driver would get installed and then i had to install the nvidia driver over that. So maybe the fact that the driver is getting installed over microsofts instead of over a clean slate prevents the problem from being fixed.

-Matt

I use server 2003 and cant play any games Such as Settlers 5 Comes up with Software rendering message i need drivers to support this can any one help

I have XP, and Open GL runs fine on my computer, I dont know why you guys have such trouble. I’m not sure if this will work for everyone, but I formatted my HDD, then installed windows 98, then updated to XP professional, and it worked fine. The only other solution i can think of is to screw either XP or Open GL.

-Dullsmile

well theres noi problem with my system…Geforce 4mx 440 and Xp didnt install the OpenGl thingy and it worked…check your system32 folder does it have the file opengl32.dll?

My friend had the same error message for Mohaa. Trying for weeks doing the various things that were mentioned through out this forum…getting sick and tired of all this crap i just installed a game called Command and Conquer Renegade…so after i got bored of that I decided to give mohaa a go again and guess WHAT!..It worked perfectly!!!..I’m guessing that renegade put in a new Open GL which fixed the blasted flawed cheap @$$ed XP crap @$$ed one. So if you got the money buy Command & Conquer: Renegade…it is a Westwood product so maybe if you got any westwood games try installing those and then play your game that gives your that FRICKEN god damn message…(forgot what It wast…)But whatever it said for mohaa and wolfstein…( XP…WHAT A $HITTY OS!!!). So I hope this helps you and anyone else with this god forsaken problem…this solution may or may not work.

Originally posted by Patrick212:
I have a Compaq Presario laptop with Win XP, Trident Cyberblade i1 card, 312 MB Ram, 600 MHz Celeron, and I’m trying to play Wolfenstein and MOHAA. When I had the same OpenGL subsystem error on my Desktop (Win 98, 400 MHz, 312 MB Ram, Matrox G200 card) I downloaded OpenGL Setup and updated the driver; this fixed everything. However, OpenGL doesn’t have a Win XP patch, and I updated my card’s driver. I have tried everything! I couldn’t find the DMA on win.ini, I tried deleting the gl files in the sytem32 folder, I tried updating the card with Nvidia stuff, didn’t work. I need help!!! Anybody?!?! I just wanna play my games!

My friend had the same error message for Mohaa. Trying for weeks doing the various things that were mentioned through out this forum…getting sick and tired of all this crap i just installed a game called Command and Conquer Renegade…so after i got bored of that I decided to give mohaa a go again and guess WHAT!..It worked perfectly!!!..I’m guessing that renegade put in a new Open GL which fixed the blasted flawed cheap @$$ed XP crap @$$ed one. So if you got the money buy Command & Conquer: Renegade…it is a Westwood product so maybe if you got any westwood games try installing those and then play your game that gives your that FRICKEN god damn message…(forgot what It wast…)But whatever it said for mohaa and wolfstein…( XP…WHAT A $HITTY OS!!!). So I hope this helps you and anyone else with this god forsaken problem…this solution may or may not work.

okay…like everyone else here, i cant get my freakin opengl mode to work for counter-strike. im runnin on an ATI Rage 128 GL AGP with win xp…ive tried getting updates, opengl installs off this site, but nothing seems to work. anyone got any ideas or anything that could help me with this situation?
p.s. i can run d3d but not opengl…if thats any help

I have had this problem for ages (ie ‘could not open gl subsystem’ etc). Ive managed to sort it though. It appears that XP somehow overwrites the driver if you’ve got an ATI Rage graphics card, so what you have to do is go to the ATI drivers website and download the one for Windows XP.
It seems to have worked - I can play Medal of Honour and Spearhead again now!

I found a fix for ATI 128 pro. Go to the ATI website, click on find a driver link, then under Windows XP click the Rage 128 Pro (6-60) Reference Driver. All you have to do is install it and it should work. I hope this helps.

Originally posted by Patrick212:
I have a Compaq Presario laptop with Win XP, Trident Cyberblade i1 card, 312 MB Ram, 600 MHz Celeron, and I’m trying to play Wolfenstein and MOHAA. When I had the same OpenGL subsystem error on my Desktop (Win 98, 400 MHz, 312 MB Ram, Matrox G200 card) I downloaded OpenGL Setup and updated the driver; this fixed everything. However, OpenGL doesn’t have a Win XP patch, and I updated my card’s driver. I have tried everything! I couldn’t find the DMA on win.ini, I tried deleting the gl files in the sytem32 folder, I tried updating the card with Nvidia stuff, didn’t work. I need help!!! Anybody?!?! I just wanna play my games!

Originally posted by VC6-OGL:
[b]Hello Patrick212,

I have a problem with Windows XP when compile my program in Builder c++ and message appears me access restricted, my ask is what I have to make. The libraries are installed correctly.

• VC6-OGL[/b]

okay well ive had this problem too, and i think someone already said what im about to, but oh well, ill say it anyway. if you install xp over yer old operating system or over a formatted disk, and yer opengl wont work, just go to the graphic card creator’s website and download their latest drivers. im pretty sure theyll have one for xp. its what i did. for both my pcs. and they both work. medal of honor allied assault works perfect on them. oh and by the way, dont think i have a souped up computer and thats why the game works on my pc, cuz well, i dont have a superpc. i only have a 600mhz, 32mb graphic card from intel, and 384mb ram. well okay the ram is pretty high but the rest arent. so yeah hope this helps.

Microsoft couldnt find there arse with both hands, for how much it costs u really should expect em to test it thorouly, i just cant get any of my decent games to work, the only thing i got that aint opengl is money island…

If you havn’t already fixed this all you have to do is rename the opengl32.dll in the MOHAA folder to something else eg opengl32.old. It should now work.

Hi. I have a Geforce 2, and win xp, i never had any probs with any of my games, but i got the same erorr (could not load opengl subsystem) as you guys with Star Treck Voyager Elite force 1. I only get this in the Holomach game. Can any one help me?

Hey all,

I have windows Xp on my desktop machine and I have never had any problems running OpenGL based apps or games. My desktop is running PIII 900Mhz 384MB Ram, and a 64MB Nvidia Geforce4 AGP MX 420. My laptop on the other hand has problems. XP does come imbeded with OpenGl but its a really crappy driver, not the same as a downloaded copy for 95 or 98. My Laptop is a P4 2.6Ghz 512mb
Ram with a shared 64MB ATI Mobility, in theory i should be able to run anything on my market. So until the GL Devlopers make a patch for XP were all SOL, im going to try the GlDriect as mentioned in a earlier post and see how that works. Best of luck to all of you!

Search the archives this question keeps coming up and has been answered a few times. You CAN use OpenGL on XP, and you don’t need a D3D wrapper (someone’s giving really bad advice). Most people have OpenGL running great on XP.

i have a compaq prsario lap to[p but it has a mobility radoen it worksd like a charm!!

i have been told by activision that my old rage furry pro xpert 2000 chip would not run theeses games so im upgrading to a radeon 7000 or 8000 or 8500 i think.