Oculus ans steamVR compatibility

Hi all,

There is a problem which is really nagging me: when I set OpenXR as runtime environment in Oculus 2 and SteamVR the setting are not kept: steamvr reverts back to oculus environment or coulis environment says that the runtime is steamvr. It seems I cant set both as openxr at the same time. Is thia expected? If not, is there a workaround?

Thanks!

You can only have a single active OpenXR runtime at a time. If SteamVR is your active OpenXR runtime, then it means OpenXR apps will all go through SteamVR and its Oculus driver. If Oculus is set as your active runtime, OpenXR apps will go directly to the Oculus runtime.

I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, can you describe your use case more?

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me. I want to minimise the number of translations to optimise performance when playing. If the runtime of Oculus is oculus then and the runtime of steamvr is openxr I guess there will be only one level of translation between OpenXR and Oculus runtime? Is there any way we can avoid the translation at all?
Thanks,
S

There is no translation layer if you use the runtime from the headset vendor. Perhaps this diagram will help: PC XR runtimes - Google Drawings from https://www.reddit.com/r/PicoXR/comments/118bmr3/inability_to_use_openxr_for_pcvr_can_be_a/j9geivj/?context=5

Hi,

Thanks, that helps, so the drawing shows still a conversion between openxr and libovr. Would be better than use oculus native runtime in steamvr then? I noticed that using openxr if the game supports it, provides better performance (tried with No Man Sky) compared to using directly oculus runtime on steam, why is that?

Thanks,
S

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.