Now it's moderated!

I’m afraid the OT board might have been removed because I suggested it should be. I hadn’t really considered that the baords would be moderated though. You’re still in time to ask for it back if you really want it.

I made a lot of of suggestions about the discussion forums and it seems they took almost all of them up.
I think it’s really important that the topics are well placed, we should give a lot of feedback about this. This is what I wrote, what do you think?

To prototype@opengl.org:

I think the discussion boards are a little too specific in their topics and some topics are too vague. Looking at the list I would ask these questions:

[ul][li]What’s “General Coding”? []How is “Performance/Optimisations” so specific to require it’s own board? []Might not “General Coding” and the “OpenGL shading language” (or others) be of interest to the same group? []Is “Math and Matrices” just off-topic or is it somehow pertinent to OpenGL? []Should “Math and Matrices” perhaps be renamed to “Math and Algorithms?” [*]Is anyone ever going to use or look at the “Off-Topic” board?[/ul][/li]> My concern is that people won’t know where to post, whether something will be the board’s intended topic and also that many more specific topics won’t attract the interest of enough people to be sufficiently frequented and valid.
Having more generic coding boards at advanced and begginer levels seems much better. Also simply because it’s important to divide begginer and advanced questions.

Other boards for OS/API/Tool specific issues seem fully appropiate, though I fear other boards may be abused because of the interest issue.

Edit (adding some comments):

I think the newly suggested boards are pretty good. On second thought I think the SL does deserve it’s own board. I’m not too convinced about the Maths board though. I guess it’s for stuff that isn’t OpenGL related, hope it sticks to graphics though. I guess it depends on the criteria the moderators will follow.

[This message has been edited by Madoc (edited 09-16-2003).]

It would be useful for moderators to be able to move threads to the OT board instead of the more drastic step of deleting borderline threads that might have redeeming posts.