Now it's moderated!

Thanks for the vote! I recommended y’all in turn. Now if any of us could actually find time to do the job (although hopefully it’d be lightweight).

Many hands make light work.

Originally posted by Ysaneya:
Will you vote for me if i make a strip-tease ?

If you’re a pretty girl/woman – you can count on me, babe! …but if not – well, you got it…sorry j/k

If “moderator” sounds too serious, we can name that person as “thread terminator”. It is pretty much what we need, right? I doubt it will take much of that person’s time than downloading the thread filled with craps.

Maybe this is the thread that should be moderated.

What if a model similar to Slashdot was used, whereby we can rank different posts as either “interesting”, “flamebait”, etc.? That way, you can easily filter out the garbage w/o having to require a moderator. The community becomes the moderator.

Still not quite seeing the need for a moderator…just looks like a load of egg heads wanting to form their own exclusive club. Is this like squatting? If you stay in a forum for long enough you can decide what gets discussed?
Maybe you could give some more examples of threads you would have ‘terminated’? Maybe the ‘nvidia drivers & 3dmark2003’ thread, to which you all contributed but then got bored of? Who should have terminated that?

Originally posted by knackered:
Still not quite seeing the need for a moderator…just looks like a load of egg heads wanting to form their own exclusive club. Is this like squatting? If you stay in a forum for long enough you can decide what gets discussed?
Maybe you could give some more examples of threads you would have ‘terminated’? Maybe the ‘nvidia drivers & 3dmark2003’ thread, to which you all contributed but then got bored of? Who should have terminated that?

To me, that’s the advantage of what Slashdot does. I don’t think this forum has anywhere near the number or trolls as Slashdot, but if enough people are having problems, this could offer a solution.

You don’t delete posts - you can simply rate posts (or posters). If someone wants the unfiltered board, they’re free to view it. Otherwise, they can at least filter out anything they might perceive as noise. For example, if someone is completely irritated w/ “C++”, simply filter out any posts made by him. You could look at the thread and his responses would be removed.

Seems like a less draconian step, while still alleviating any concerns some people might be having.

[This message has been edited by josip (edited 07-16-2003).]

This might be one of the cleanest forums on the net. Not much foul language and insults or trolls.

I think blocking posts from someone may not be enough since the person can sign on under a different name. Even if there is a moderator, that person can create as many threads as he wishes.

Fortunatly, that kind of personality hasn’t visited this place.

Originially posted by Aaron
It should be someone from Switzerland. They’re always neutral…

rofl - Good idea…

Originally posted by dorbie:
daveperemen’s Swiss.

Maybe not then… (Although at least we could guarantee the cg posts would be killed off quickly…)

Originally posted by V-man:
I think blocking posts from someone may not be enough since the person can sign on under a different name. Even if there is a moderator, that person can create as many threads as he wishes.

…i’ve heard about some interesting solution some time ago. On some web-board it was always two people who were starting the flames, continuing them, insulting anyone else too, etc… But then the moderator has enabled to display some of the IP digits, and both were hopefully gone. Because it was the same dude logged-on under two different nicknames.

The UBB software allows you to have many things, that are currently not enabled on this particular one. For example, putting some member on the ignore list, log/display IP’s, private messaging, member/posts rating, etc. So if you see those options switched off, then probably it’s been done with some idea in mind – probly the idea was to make a technical self-controlled forum with independent members who would be able to solve their problems independently on their own without any advisory and censorship. Anyway, this is what it looks like to me, but i can be wrong with all this.

[This message has been edited by matt_weird (edited 07-17-2003).]

…something funny happened. i’ve occasionally specified this in the browser’s URL box:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/…oding:+advanced

…and here’s what i got:

"We have noted your attempt to hack this forum. Authorities will be notified if you persist.

nicE… what kind of hack is that supposed to be then?.. unauthorized access to CGI scripts? …or a dumb URL input box …or a dumb browser user, hehe… Or… er…nevermind

OK, that’s it, Matt, you’re banned!

DAMN!

I clicked on that link, without reading the rest of the post.

Now i will be banned, too!

quote:

Originally posted by dorbie:
daveperemen’s Swiss.

Maybe not then… (Although at least we could guarantee the cg posts would be killed off quickly…)

Indeed. I dont think any moderators should act, unless theres approval from alot of members. Otherwise you could end up with just posts disapearing because someone has a grudge or something.

*daveperman deletes all ATI bug threads to make them look l33t! *

another way to clear this “mess” would be making a new domain, somehting like opengl2.org, then opening there are “real good moderated” forum, which is moderated by qualified guys like “C++” and which graps all new threads, site updates & Co from opengl.org via a nice script…

laughing

"We have noted your attempt to hack this forum. Authorities will be notified if you persist. "

I received this message once but in my case, I only changed the character encoding thing from my browser menu. I though someone was attacking the site using my IP or something.

I thought this was a advanced coding forum, now how did all you l33t haxors get in here?

Where is a mod when you need one, this thread should be locked! --Oh wait… :stuck_out_tongue:

Aaron:
OK, that’s it, Matt, you’re banned!

…oh, i see. how sad…

Jan2000:
Now i will be banned, too!

the same as me!

Nutty:

Indeed. I dont think any moderators should act, unless theres approval from alot of members.

…well, i thought that’s how they operate anyway. besides, that are the members who’re sending the queries, and then the moderator-dude decide what to do. but still – with moderator this wouldn’t be that fun anymore, IMHO

DJSnow:
another way to clear this “mess” would be making a new domain, somehting like opengl2.org, then opening there are “real good moderated” forum, which is moderated by qualified guys like “C++” and which graps all new threads, site updates & Co from opengl.org via a nice script…

woohoo, how clever! …but how do you know that it isn’t implemented already? and um… we’re using it right now. but actually all the traffic goes from Mars(where nVidia head-quarters are located at j/k)

V-man:

I received this message once but in my case, I only changed the character encoding thing from my browser menu. I though someone was attacking the site using my IP or something.

i think this supposed to be a “sHmart” way to show that some divine power is watching for us. However, this was all a joke, and…er… it looks like another proof for that “divine power” theory posted above

Elixer:
[b]
I thought this was a advanced coding forum, now how did all you l33t haxors get in here?

Where is a mod when you need one, this thread should be locked!
[/b]

shakes his head Too bad, Elixer – i think you definately should be banned off for your repulsion to our haXing persistence! :joke:

[This message has been edited by matt_weird (edited 07-24-2003).]

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but may I ask if/when we’ll be getting moderators?

Certain threads have gone way out of hand.

(paragraph 5)

“…(And yes, we will be adding moderators!)”

and did you noticed that there is also a proposed discussion section for OT-posts ?