Multiple primary command buffers and VK_KHR_dynamic_rendering

Hello.

I’m currently looking into the VK_KHR_dynamic_rendering extension and I don’t really understand what does the specification mean with this:

Dynamic render passes can also span across multiple primary command buffers, rather than relying on secondary command buffers.

I get that the whole thing with having a render pass per command buffer goes away with this extension, but I don’t understand how can I span the dynamic render pass across multiple primary command buffers, as when calling vkCmdBeginRendering I still need to pass a handle to a command buffer.

Say I want to thread the recording of commands in some pass, without dynamic rendering, I could record the command into secondary command buffers on multiple cores. How would I achive something like this with dynamic rendering?
I assume that instead of having secondary command buffers, I’d allocate primary command buffers and submit them together, calling vkCmdBegingRendering with the same VkRenderingInfo.
Am I right or am I missing something?

Previously vkCmdBeginRenderPass and vkCmdEndRenderpass must be entirely contained within one command buffer.

With Dynamic Rendering, you can suspend render pass instance with VK_RENDERING_SUSPENDING_BIT and resume it with VK_RENDERING_RESUMING_BIT.

Oh, now I see. Idk how I missed these flags, thanks!
So basically I can still do the thing with secondary command buffers that I mentioned, using VK_RENDERING_CONTENTS_SECONDARY_COMMAND_BUFFERS_BIT_KHR or suspend/resume the rendering with pipeline barriers when recording to multiple primary command buffers, right?

So I just tried the VK_RENDERING_CONTENTS_SECONDARY_COMMAND_BUFFERS_BIT approach.
I’ve setup both VkCommandBufferInheritanceRenderingInfo and VkCommandBufferInheritanceInfo, set VkCommandBufferInheritanceInfo::pNext to VkCommandBufferInheritanceRenderingInfo VkCommandBufferBeginInfo::pInheritanceInfo to VkCommandBufferInheritanceInfo.

I also have VkRenderingInfo::flags set to VK_RENDERING_CONTENTS_SECONDARY_COMMAND_BUFFERS_BIT.

That’s the setup:

VkRenderingAttachmentInfo colorAttachmentInfo{};
        colorAttachmentInfo.sType              = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_RENDERING_ATTACHMENT_INFO;
        colorAttachmentInfo.pNext              = nullptr;
        colorAttachmentInfo.imageView          = GState.ColorImageView;
        colorAttachmentInfo.imageLayout        = VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_COLOR_ATTACHMENT_OPTIMAL;
        colorAttachmentInfo.resolveMode        = VK_RESOLVE_MODE_AVERAGE_BIT;
        colorAttachmentInfo.resolveImageView   = GState.SwapChainImageViews[i];
        colorAttachmentInfo.resolveImageLayout = VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_COLOR_ATTACHMENT_OPTIMAL;
        colorAttachmentInfo.loadOp             = VK_ATTACHMENT_LOAD_OP_CLEAR;
        colorAttachmentInfo.storeOp            = VK_ATTACHMENT_STORE_OP_DONT_CARE;
        colorAttachmentInfo.clearValue.color   = { 0, 0, 0, 1 };

VkRenderingAttachmentInfo depthStencilAttachmentInfo{};
        depthStencilAttachmentInfo.sType                   = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_RENDERING_ATTACHMENT_INFO;
        depthStencilAttachmentInfo.pNext                   = nullptr;
        depthStencilAttachmentInfo.imageView               = GState.DepthBufferImageView;
        depthStencilAttachmentInfo.imageLayout             = VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_DEPTH_STENCIL_ATTACHMENT_OPTIMAL;
        depthStencilAttachmentInfo.loadOp                  = VK_ATTACHMENT_LOAD_OP_CLEAR;
        depthStencilAttachmentInfo.resolveImageView        = VK_NULL_HANDLE;
        depthStencilAttachmentInfo.storeOp                 = VK_ATTACHMENT_STORE_OP_DONT_CARE;
        depthStencilAttachmentInfo.clearValue.depthStencil = { 1, 0 };
        depthStencilAttachmentInfo.resolveMode             = VK_RESOLVE_MODE_NONE;

VkRenderingInfo renderingInfo{};
        renderingInfo.sType                = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_RENDERING_INFO;
        renderingInfo.pNext                = nullptr;
        renderingInfo.flags                = VK_RENDERING_CONTENTS_SECONDARY_COMMAND_BUFFERS_BIT;
        renderingInfo.renderArea.offset    = { 0, 0 };
        renderingInfo.renderArea.extent    = GState.SwapChainExtent;
        renderingInfo.layerCount           = 1;
        renderingInfo.viewMask             = 0;
        renderingInfo.colorAttachmentCount = 1;
        renderingInfo.pColorAttachments    = &colorAttachmentInfo;
        renderingInfo.pDepthAttachment     = &depthStencilAttachmentInfo;
        renderingInfo.pStencilAttachment   = VK_NULL_HANDLE;

TransitionImageLayout(GState.ColorImage, GState.SwapChainFormat.format, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_UNDEFINED, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_COLOR_ATTACHMENT_OPTIMAL, 1);
        TransitionImageLayout(GState.SwapChainImages[i], GState.SwapChainFormat.format, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_UNDEFINED, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_COLOR_ATTACHMENT_OPTIMAL, 1);
        TransitionImageLayout(GState.DepthBufferImage, DepthFormat, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_UNDEFINED, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_DEPTH_STENCIL_ATTACHMENT_OPTIMAL, 1, true);

VkCommandBufferInheritanceRenderingInfo dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo{};
        dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo.sType                   = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_COMMAND_BUFFER_INHERITANCE_RENDERING_INFO;
        dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo.pNext                   = nullptr;
        dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo.flags                   = 0;
        dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo.viewMask                = 0;
        dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo.colorAttachmentCount    = 1;
        dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo.pColorAttachmentFormats = &GState.SwapChainFormat.format;
        dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo.depthAttachmentFormat   = DepthFormat;
        dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo.stencilAttachmentFormat = VK_FORMAT_UNDEFINED;
        dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo.rasterizationSamples    = VK_SAMPLE_COUNT_1_BIT;

VkCommandBufferInheritanceInfo inheritanceInfo{};
        inheritanceInfo.sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_COMMAND_BUFFER_INHERITANCE_INFO;
        inheritanceInfo.pNext = &dynamicRenderingInheritanceInfo;
        inheritanceInfo.renderPass = VK_NULL_HANDLE;

VkCommandBufferBeginInfo CommandBufferBeginInfo{};
        CommandBufferBeginInfo.sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_COMMAND_BUFFER_BEGIN_INFO;
        CommandBufferBeginInfo.pNext = nullptr;
        CommandBufferBeginInfo.pInheritanceInfo = &inheritanceInfo;

vkCmdBeginRendering(GState.CommandBuffers[i], &renderingInfo);
        {
            vkBeginCommandBuffer(GState.SecondaryCommandBuffers[i], &CommandBufferBeginInfo);

vkCmdBindPipeline(GState.SecondaryCommandBuffers[i], VK_PIPELINE_BIND_POINT_GRAPHICS, GState.GraphicsPipeline);
            vkCmdBindVertexBuffers(GState.SecondaryCommandBuffers[i], 0, 1, &GState.VertexBufferAllocation.Buffer, Offsets);
            vkCmdBindIndexBuffer(GState.SecondaryCommandBuffers[i], GState.IndexBufferAllocation.Buffer, Offsets[0], VK_INDEX_TYPE_UINT32);
            vkCmdBindDescriptorSets(
              GState.SecondaryCommandBuffers[i], VK_PIPELINE_BIND_POINT_GRAPHICS, GState.PipelineLayout, 0, 1, &GState.DescriptorSets[i], 0, nullptr);
            vkCmdDrawIndexed(GState.SecondaryCommandBuffers[i], Indices.size(), 1, 0, 0, 0);

vkEndCommandBuffer(GState.SecondaryCommandBuffers[i]);
        }
        vkCmdExecuteCommands(GState.CommandBuffers[i], 1, &GState.SecondaryCommandBuffers[i]);
        vkCmdEndRendering(GState.CommandBuffers[i]);

The application craches in the validation layers, particulary in the vkCmdBeginRendering, looks like it’s trying to dereference a nullptr. Any ideas?

renderingInfo.pStencilAttachment   = VK_NULL_HANDLE;

Appropriate value for a pointer is NULL or nullptr. It is not a non-dispatchable handle.

Check validity of the GState.CommandBuffers[i] dispatch at the point of the call. It must not be NULL or some uninitialized value.

Check validity of GState.ColorImageView, GState.SwapChainImageViews[i], and GState.DepthBufferImageView handles for uninitialized value.

Otherwise layers should not crash without first reporting an error message. In that case report the problem at https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-ValidationLayers.

Setting renderingInfo.pStencilAttachment to nullptr didn’t help. Every image/command buffer is valid, as I just added the secondary command buffers to an already working dynamic rendering code.

I guess it has to do something with

Validation layer: Validation Warning: [ VUID_Undefined ] Object 0: handle = 0x1ea4c0b38f0, type = VK_OBJECT_TYPE_DEVICE; | MessageID = 0x79de34d4 | Device Extension VK_KHR_dynamic_rendering support is incomplete, incorrect results are possible.

in the output, didn’t notice it before. I have an RTX 2060 SUPER, maybe something’s is actually missing?

Right, also don’t forget to update your SDK to the latestest.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.