Doom 3 preview

Wow, nice !!
Is that the empty map, or just a backdrop ?

PS it looks like the .roq format did not change, plays back fine.

It’s just my own little room.

It would have had shadows, but I still need to find out how to fix the meshes so they are closed with out screwing up the UV coords.

Originally posted by FXO:
9-2-4

Man, how did you find this?
Going to try it right now…

Hee hee
http://bpeers.com/bucht/e31.gif http://bpeers.com/bucht/e32.gif http://bpeers.com/bucht/e33.gif

Just because doom3 is slow on your 9700 doesn’t mean it is a bad card. As far as I know, current (public) drivers don’t have the new 9700 extensions. So doom3 probably uses it like any 8500, that is no floating point buffer, no state-of-the-art shaders and other major improvements compared with the 8500.
Just wait for the beta drivers to leak :wink:

I read somewhere that Carmack said the only thing which Doom does different on the 9700 from the 8500 is it uses 2-sided stencil.
Other than that, the 9700 and 8500 codepaths are the same. Both cards can evaluate the lighting equation in 1 pass per light.

bpeers and nitrogl,

you guys work fast, how did you figure that out in a week? are the file formats based on q3a files? very cool…

John.

you guys work fast, how did you figure that out in a week? are the file formats based on q3a files? very cool…

It’s quite easy b/c Carmack now uses text files for most things now. Well except texture files but pretty much other than that…

-SirKnight

Yeah, that was fast!

OMG, how cool is that!!! I didn’t look long enough to notice that they had lwo files . Wooo hoooo!

Fudge! I cant find a downlaod site. Anyone know a speedy web site?

Is it really true that ATI leaked it? Does that mean some employee uploaded it or passed it to a friend who uploaded?

V-man

Yeah, the doom3 .map format is almost the same as the q3 .map format. The changes I see are

• replaced the 3 vertex points defining a brush plane with the plane equation – finally
  • patches have 2 extra numbers between dimensions and contents flags.
  • two 1x3 vectors for UV instead of shift/rotate/scale. Looks like a 2D base defined on the brushplane, or maybe it’s on the nearest axis aligned plane (a la quake).
    Trickiest part will be figuring out the .mtr’s I think, although it looks like .shader’s.

Nitro, what’s new in md5 compared to md3 ?

two 1x3 vectors for UV instead of shift/rotate/scale. Looks like a 2D base defined on the brushplane, or maybe it’s on the nearest axis aligned plane (a la quake).

Maybe it’s similar to the Half-Life .map format. The HL format had 2 1x4 vectors and I think another number or two after that though. I don’t remember exactly, id have to go look at my HL .map file loader to see.

-SirKnight

I’ll answer this. It’s a text file, so opening it up and taking a peek one can figure it out quickly. Also there is a post on flipcode where someone has posted some code to load md5s. Its under the 3d graphics programming/theory board. I don’t remember the exact subject but it’s close to the top (well it is now kind of) and it has the word doom 3 in it, or is it doom III, well either way you’ll find it.

-SirKnight

Originally posted by bpeers:

Skeletal animation, bones, weights, that sort of thing.

Duh, ok, thanks

The texturing is a “new brush primitive mode”, check out ComputeAxisBase in q3map. It’s putting a 2D base on the plane, or something

Screenshot : http://bpeers.com/bucht/doom3.jpg

[This message has been edited by bpeers (edited 11-08-2002).]

That looks pretty cool. Welp, looks like people have beaten me to it. A long time I ago I said to myself that I would be the first person to make a doom 3 map viewer. Well thanks to my slow 56k taking a week to get this doom 3 alpha I have been beaten. O well, I’ll still make one anyway.

Nice work!

Hmm, so I guess that’s what they meant in the q3map code with the “new style brushes” and “old style” or something like that. I’ll take a look later.

EDIT: Dumb spelling.

-SirKnight

[This message has been edited by SirKnight (edited 11-08-2002).]

bpeers, are you planning on ever releasing the source to your doom 3 map prog there? It’s not that I need it, I already have a map file viewer and converting to doom 3 would not take long at all, but I always like to see how others do things to maybe improve upon my designs. Or even help them improve theirs, whatever.

-SirKnight

Heh, thanks I must say I cheated though, as I already wrote the q3 map viewer before. The trickiest part is parsing a .map and tesselating it, once you have that, it’s not much work to fix the parser to eat BrushDef3 as well.
There’s still materials, lighting and shadows to run for though

Hm, maybe some day if the thing stabilizes a bit… though if you mail me I don’t mind pasting bits of code. The UV thing I ripped nearly entirely out of q3map though And tesselation is probably the ugliest geometry code in existence.