Doom 3 preview

Someone was asking how to activate the wireframe, just use the function keys: F1 add a light, F2 delete the last light, F3 … you can show the portals, show the light-surface interaction, shadow volumes and even the no of polygons drawn. From the drawing of the portals it seems that there is no frustum clipping on portals (maybe there are used for light influences calculus only). Anyway some of the portals have a scissor rectangle around them for clipping. About the z fighting problems I have on the Gf2 system, there are no such artifacts on another Gf4 Ti4200 system I’ve tried it (maybe they are caused by the drivers or the additional rendering passes necessary for the gf2!?) Anyway, 256 megs is not enough, even though I have a Gf4 and fps above 40 sometimes I have song stalls due to swapping on a 256 RAM system on Win 2k.

Someone was asking how to activate the wireframe, just use the function keys: F1 add a light, F2 delete the last light, F3 … you can show the portals, show the light-surface interaction, shadow volumes and even the no of polygons drawn. From the drawing of the portals it seems that there is no frustum clipping on portals (maybe there are used for light influences calculus only). Anyway some of the portals have a scissor rectangle around them for clipping. About the z fighting problems I have on the Gf2 system, there are no such artifacts on another Gf4 Ti4200 system I’ve tried it (maybe they are caused by the drivers or the additional rendering passes necessary for the gf2!?) Anyway, 256 megs is not enough, even though I have a Gf4 and fps above 40 sometimes I have song stalls due to swapping on a 256 RAM system on Win 2k.

Well, I tried it.
On my 1Ghz Athlon, 512 Mbyte RAM, with Radeon 9700 PRO, it runs at a steady 25 fps at both 640x480 and 1024x768, so I guess its cpu or memory bound. But it slows down 4-7 fps for each enemy on the screen, and sometimes (scripted scenes) my disk starts swapping like mad. So I guess memory is a big issue.

With 768 MB I can just barely avoid swapping…
But my P3-700 (AGP 2X) doesn’t seem to keep up.
Although it’s funny to see it running at the same speed either at 320240 or 1024768, thanks to the good old GeForce 2 Ultra.

Hints: enable texture compression, except for bump, glossy and transparent map. It gives a good picture quality without too much performance hit.

Also use “exec runact” to launch the complete non-interactive demo, but before doing so remove the “exec intro, exec activate_demo[1-3]” from runact.cfg, otherwise it’ll put everything in memory ( unless you have 1.5GB, avoid doing so).

The demo eats a total of about 950mb memory.
I had to raise my virtual-memory file to 800 or most maps would hang.

The 1-2 fps thing has to do with memory-swapping, as far as I can tell, I got rid of it when I raised the vm.

Disabling sound also has a huge impact on memory-usage (although its a big sacrifice).
/s_noUpdates 1

I also lowered the /r_varmegs to 32 since much of it wasnt used anyway, according to meminfo.

Lowering the colorbits of textures to 16 and enabling compression on all textures helps alot to.

This is just what worked for me, on my: TB@1530 256RAM GF2MX200/190

Before I get flamed:
I meant to say alpha, not demo

edit: forgot about the edit-feature on this site
I’ve gotten used to doom3.dk’s forums.

[This message has been edited by FXO (edited 11-05-2002).]

cheers for the info dave,
another question about the shadows
does every light generate them?

this would explain the slow down when the user fires a weapon (which in turn creates a couple more lights which in turn create a lot more shadows)

also how many lights are onscreen roughly?

No, not all lights are shadow casters, only mainly the big ones, like overhead swinging lights. Subtle little glows dont need to cast shadows.

I think the slow down caused by firing is just because of the unoptimized collisions, and effects system they probably bodged in there, although it would cause more lighting passes on the surfaces.

What Nutty said. If you run the included demo rather than playing through it yourself, it performs much better, and hardly seems to slow down at all during action sequences. This suggests that it’s CPU work that causes those slowdowns. Maybe this is a debug build we’re looking at?

– Tom

You guys do realize this is ALPHA software from more than a few months ago. Of course it has bugs, of course it’s slow, of course it doesn’t work on your 9700 that wasn’t even RELEASED at the time.

The people that “play” this alpha are the same people scouring the internet for episode III spoilers and secret undercover shots of keanu from the next matrix.

I’d rather wait for the real thing as it was intended and judge/study/play it then.

oh wait, I just thought of another good ananlogy: this is like looking at a drawing and saying it’s a bad painting. ;D

>>The people that “play” this alpha are the same people scouring the internet for episode III spoilers and secret undercover shots of keanu from the next matrix.<<

or they’re graphics makers who want to check out the competition (in the losest possible sense in my case )

davepermen,

I could have told you …
friends don’t let friends buy a Celeron

Originally posted by zeckensack:
[b]davepermen,

I could have told you …
friends don’t let friends buy a Celeron [/b]

hehe. it’s just till i have a 4.6 giga p4 at christmas or so…

When I turn sound off, and fire, my fps dont drop at all, 1 fps at most.
(from 14 fps )

I think this has something to do with the sound, they have enviromental modelling of it, perhaps its a slowdown there or its just a plain swapping issue, since the alpha uses >500mb of sounds.

Of course it has bugs, of course it’s slow, of course it doesn’t work on your 9700 that wasn’t even RELEASED at the time.

IIRC, this very code that was used for the e3 demo movie was shown using a radeon 9700.

No-one is disputing the fact that this is an unoptimized build. But it’s still bloody nice!!

Nutty

I recommend you all take a look at Battlefield 1942. Forget doom, make war!
The best game I’ve played in years.

Playing at 640*480,
r_varsize at 32,
r_useNV20 to 0,
r_useStandardGL at 1

gave me a nice frame rate on my P3-700 GF2U (with no sound it’s even better!).

Btw, a little OT, but does anyone know the code for opening the door in e3_2? In the E3 show it was 1, 2, 3 but this doesn’t seem to work.

9-2-4

So, are there any efforts yet anywhere on rendering the maps and/or the models ?..

http://evilman.netfirms.com/bla.jpg