Does RDNA support shader primitives in Vulkan?

Hi, I has interested in the question - does RDNA support shader primitives in Vulkan? Many people say that yes, and even AMD talked about it, but it isn’t writed in Vulkan library. And i decided to ask you, does RDNA support the shader primitives in Vulkan Api?

I don’t know what exactly you mean by “shader primitives” (shaders and primitives are both concepts in Vulkan, but they’re not the same thing, and the system has no concept of a “shader primitive”), but if you’re asking if RDNA-based hardware has Vulkan support… yes. I don’t know why you would think that a recently released GPU architecture wouldn’t be able to support Vulkan.

I’m talking about those that can calculate vertices and geometry

“calculate vertices and geometry” is a very nebulous phrase. Vulkan has 4 vertex processing shader stages; are you asking about one of them? Are you asking about some piece of hardware specific to RDNA? What in particular are you looking to understand?

After doing some research, I’ve come across the possibility that you may be asking about the RDNA hardware’s “primitive shader” feature. Is that what you’re talking about?

1 Like

I have not researched this much yet, but I have read there’s two ways to use primitive shaders (i.e. Next-Generation Geometry Engine): implicit and explicit.

Implicit way would depend on the driver, and what it does with the regular code.

Explicit way would require an Extension, which is not released yet. Although NV already seems to have something similar out: the VK_NV_mesh_shader.

yes, that’s exactly what I was talking about :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.