Could not load OpenGL subsystem

I figured out the solution for the problem running OPENGL games in XP.
First:
Update to the latest Detonator drivers for your NVidia card for windows XP/2000.
( http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000))
Version 23.11

Second:
After the install of the videodriver search
for these 2 files:
opengl32.dll (670Kb, dated 7 sept 2001) and
opengl32.lib (325Kb, dated 16 july 1996).
The can be found in the windows\system32
directory.

Third:
Copy these 2 files into your game dir
for example: x:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA
(x is your drive letter where the game is installed!)
overwriting the old files that were there.
(the old opengl32.dll is 717Kb)

Last step:
Remove the ‘3dfxgl.dll’ from your game dir.
that should fix the problem. I believe the
engine tries to load the 3dfx drivers
first. I think when they did the RTCW code
they did not do a validity check to make
sure there was not another opengl driver
before erroring out.

After these steps the game will work on XP too!!

Have fun people!!

All right. Been trying to help a guy in my office get this damn game running. and he’s the only one that gets this exact message everyone else is getting. Everything seems fine in his system. most current driver for his ATI Xpert 128, most current direct x, no string in his win.ini containing any dva=0, tried switching around all the damn opengl32.dll and .lib files, tried getting rid of the 3dfx.dll files, tried just about everything that everyone has suggested so far. He’s running a windows 98 machine. If anyone has anymore suggestions, please, bring it on. i’ve been researching over the net for atleast three days now, and tried everything i’ve seen so far. Please help

Originally posted by Gamer:
[b]When I try to start Return to castle wolfenstein it never starts but I get this text to screen. I use GeForce2 GTS 32Mb and WinME.

Every OpenGL game I’ve tried also gives me some error text. What can I do?[/b]

Originally posted by Gamer:
[b]When I try to start Return to castle wolfenstein it never starts but I get this text to screen. I use GeForce2 GTS 32Mb and WinME.

Every OpenGL game I’ve tried also gives me some error text. What can I do?[/b]

I’m having problem starting the “Medals of Honor Allied Assault”, with error message:
“Could not load openGL subsystem”.

Anyone found the solution?

victor

About the Xp and glsubsystems…

I had problems with the 23.11 drivers, so I went to the nvidea archives and got the 22.83 (signed) and Wold runs great.

Using XP PRO,
Geforce4 ti200
768 Ram

If you guys are still having hardtimes, try disabling extensions in the config (allowglextensions “0”), also try tunring off wickedgl (think it is cg_ignorewicked3d, change 0 to 1).

I been working on this problem all weekend and finally figured it out. I was getting the exact same message trying to run MOHAA. I have 3 different computers and 2 with WinXP one with WinME. It ran on one of the system with no problem (it was a WinXP P3 866 with a ATI Rage/Expert 2000 32 meg). I have another system with WinXP with a Nvidia TNT2 64m and it was working find then I upgrade it to a G-Force 2 MX 400 and got the error message “can not load opengl subsystem” try server of the mentioned problems (i.e. install the latest Nvidia driver 23.11 along with server older version 21.83 and serveral others, looked for the DVA=0 in win.ini which wasn’t there, drop the opengl32.dll into game dir and del 3dfx???.dll) none of these fixed the problem. So I switch out with one of my ATI cards and it still didn’t work. So I looked into the system that was working and found in the c:\windows\system32 a different opengl32.dll file on the problem machine, it was 2,680 K dated 12/10/2001 and the one on the working machine was 670k dated 8/23/2001. I copied it over and wall-la it worked. So, then I put my Gforce2 MX 400 back in and it still didn’t work. Then, I remember something from one of the post here saying to try the unreleased Nvidia beta drivers 27.20 uninstall current 23.11 and install 27.20 and now it works, hur-ray. Then on the Win ME system I put in the TNT2 M64 AGP card and it didn’t work with the default driver from WinME. I then installed the lastest/official release ver 23.11 on it and it ran like a charm.
Bottom line is that there is not a single solution, but here are the ones that worked for me. Hope this helps you.

1. check the version of opengl.dll in your c:\windows\system32 directory. maybe try different ones, but the one that worked for me was 670K dated 8/23/2001. (If you look up serveral lines on the error messages you will see which directory the OpenGl32.dll file is loading from, so you only need to change that one)
  2. Make sure you have the latest Driver and in the case of Nvidia you might need to get the lastest beta version (ie. v27.20)from http://www.guru3d.com/files/
    I think this is the case with WinXP and newer Nvidia cards, cuz the 23.11 version for WinXP doesn’t seem to support opengl.

Let me know if this helped.

Basically, there is a pattern here. All the games that do not seem to work here are running the Quake 3 engine. Well, they are for me, MOHAA and RtCW are knackered for me, but it only happened since I installed XP Pro. All I’m doing is downloadin my video card drivers and hopin for the best, btw, I’ve got a nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400. If that helps anybody. Just download the Detonator drivers off the site and (hopefully) wikid!!

Fox

HEED THIS REPLY!
Once again there is probably more than one solution to this common problem. However, what worked for me was “FrankieP” and his suggestion on 1/25/2002 at 9:37 am. He suggested downloading the newest drivers from nvidia, and then copying opengl.dll and opengl.lib from your c:\windows\system32 directory into your game directory (e.g. c:\windows\program files\EA Games\MOHAA(assuming c is the drive you installed the game on)), and then removing the 3dfxgl.dll file from the game directory. This worked right away for me without having to do anything else. For further details see FrankieP’s post.
For Questions contact

i have been having the same problem with quake 3

This is what i got

Q3 1.11 win-x86 Nov 24 1999
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3 (3539 files)
C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena/baseq3

execing default.cfg
execing q3config.cfg
couldn’t exec autoexec.cfg
…detecting CPU, found x86 (P5/Pentium2, MMX)

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput…
Couldn’t set DI coop level
Falling back to Win32 mouse support…
Joystick is not active.

----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----

----- Client Initialization Complete -----
— Common Initialization Complete —
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:27960
Hostname: jude
IP: 127.0.0.1
Working directory: C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
…initializing QGL
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\opengl32.dll’ ): succeeded
…setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
…using desktop display depth of 16
…calling CDS: ok
…registered window class
…created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
…getting DC: succeeded
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
…restoring display settings
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
…setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
…using colorsbits of 16
…calling CDS: ok
…created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
…getting DC: succeeded
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
…restoring display settings
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
…shutting down QGL
…unloading OpenGL DLL
…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver
…initializing QGL
…WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
…shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

I had the same problem when I first loaded XP but the new Nvidia drivers for Xp 23.1.1 fixed the OpenGL problem, but in multiplayer my packet loss went sky high any one have any ideas on that one?

How the #&*$ did you come up with that solution?

I’m sure everyone here has long since fixed the problem but go to “my computer” and right click the icon. Go to performance tab and select video acceleration button. make sure hardware acceleration is set to max!

The solution to my problem with “Could not load OpenGL subsystem” in the game Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

My system is Windows XP with an ATI Radeon 7500 video card.

I located all opengl32.dll files on my hard drive. I made note of their size, keeping only the opengl32.dll files with the size of 670 kb from 8/23/2001. I backed up and removed all opengl32.dll files from my hard drive other than the 670 kb version. I placed the 670 kb version in the following directories – windows\system and windows\system32 and the game directory. The game then booted without error.

Ok, I’ve looked over these posts, and tried some. I then went to my videocard makers website (I have a Trident Cyberblade Ai1 for my laptop). According to the site, it says OpenGL is not supported for Win2000, my OS, with this card. Can I still play RTCW? or must I get a new card (hopefully not…)?

Thanx - plz reply!
WhoMan

I also have been getting this eror message with quake3(GLW-Start opengl ( ) -could not load openGL subsystem.) I have a win98 system with a NVIDIA 2MX/MX400 graphics board, I got mine to work! I reformatted, reloaded win98, directx 8.1, misc.software programs, then went to the windows update site and updated the security updates and IE, outlook express, and everything else that was there. After rebooting quake3 worked. I don’t have any idea if this works on non win98 systems but if you have win98 try this, it couldn’t hurt.

i ahve the answer to all ya’ll problems!!!
here go to this site and follow the easy steps and your gaming opengl will work!!!
http://www.uq.net.au/~zzmbisho/how_to_fix-OpenGL-Subsystem.html

i am going grazy i and i gonna play footbal whith my computer if there is no solution how can so big companies make such folds like that (never mind how meny folds i wrhite I’M FROM BELGIUM?°)

k i’ve tried ati.com for the newest drivers (which i have) i have a rage 128 pro AGP 4X and i have also tried finding the win.ini file all of you r trying 2 explain how to find and still can’t find it. if anyone has ne ideas please reply

I’ve been trying to get Ritual Entertainment’s Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2 working on my computer to no avail. My OS is Windows 98 Second Edition and my video card is an ATI Rage IIC AGP. I see that it’s not on the list of supported ATI cards, but I’ve never had any problems with OpenGL stuff before until now that is. I use Dev-C++, which is a compiler, and it comes with an example code and exe file simply named OpenGL and it’s a multi-colored triangle spinning and it’s programmed in OpenGL so I know my ATI Rage IIC AGP card will work with OpenGL I just can’t figure out why HMF.A.K.K. 2 doesn’t and why GLSetup says it’s not able to support it. I’m not quite sure what to do to correct it. Any and all ideas or help will be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Harbinger (edited 03-23-2002).]

I just got Medal of Honor and it almost starts but then it comes back with the response these other peeps have…“could not load OpenGL subsystem.” Please help me out on this.