Could not load OpenGL subsystem

Hey everyone,

This is awesome. It worked for me with ME and a Gforce3. http://www.uq.net.au/~zzmbisho/how_to_fix-OpenGL-Subsystem.html

Thanks to whoever originally posted this fix.

I had the same problem and message screen as Paullie, and tried the link suggested in the lastpost…but I had no line in my win.ini file to remove. So I am still no better off! But I hope it works for you guys.

I am trying to load Return to Castle Wolfenstein with a nVidia TNT 64-pro card.

hey i went to the site that helps and i went to run and tryed to find that dva=0 thing or whatever it was and could not find it please help

XP users may need the latest drivers but other Windows users with a TNT can try a older driver.
http://www.3dchipset.com/drivers/official/nvidia/series6xx.shtml

Same problem with i815e chipset in RTCW
I run WIN-XP
Only way to make it run is to take out XP and install 98 again … sheesh

OK I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THIS SUBSYSTEM STUFF COULD NOT OPEN , OPEN GL WELL I FIXED MINE IM RUNNING WINDOWS XP…THE DRIVERS THAT COMES WITH THIS OPERATING SYSTEM ARE GENERIC I WENT TO http://www.nvidia.com/ AND AT THE TOP IS A TAB …DOWNLOAD DRIVERS …IT WILL OPEN UP OR A FALL DOWN MENU WILL BE EXPOSED FOR ME I NEEDED WINDOWS XP/2000 THEN THE DRIVER YOULL WANT IS Detonator XP
Driver 23.11 DOWN LOAD THAT SAVE TO MY DOCUMENTS OPEN IT WILL SAY THIS IS NOT A VALID WIN LOGO DRIVER …INSTALL IT ANY WAYS YOULL BE PLAYING WOLFENSTEIN AN ABOUT 2 WHOLE MINUTES BUT THATS ONLY IF YOU GOT A VID CARD WITH NVIDIA CHIPSET AND FOR 98/ME PEOPLE THAT DROP DOWN MENU HAS A SPOT FOR YOU GUYS ALSO … PEACE OUT… ITS SIMPLE DONT GO CHANGING EVERY THING UP DATE YOUR DRIVER FIRST…

For those with XP and Nvidia drivers that gave you the blue screen,uninstall the current display drivers first.This is a very important step because if you don’t,you will get the blue screen. A lot of
people overlook this step(including me).After uninstall,just install the lastest
Nvidia drivers again.

i even cant find the ****ing WIN.INI file which should be the solution, guys PLS help me out here

Originally posted by doesnt mater:
i even cant find the ****ing WIN.INI file which should be the solution, guys PLS help me out here

dude you dont need the win in file…you just need to down load the new driver and install it go read 2 above yours ethereal ok you dont have to uninstall **** just install it right over your current driver it will work but read the ethereal post youll seee…

“assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver”

anybody tried deleting 3dfxvgl ? should be in either the \windows , windows\system or windows\system32 folder

hope this helps mike.

Thanks thanks thanks thanks and re thanks
for the adress of this site, Starshine and Scorpion Eagle .
Now it works for me

That is incorrect. Downloading the latest NVidia drivers does not fix the DVA problem. Its a seperate issue. Win.ini is in you WINDOWS directory.

Check my topic !
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001736.html

Originally posted by Gamer:
[b]When I try to start Return to castle wolfenstein it never starts but I get this text to screen. I use GeForce2 GTS 32Mb and WinME.

Every OpenGL game I’ve tried also gives me some error text. What can I do?[/b]

Originally posted by Gamer:
[b]When I try to start Return to castle wolfenstein it never starts but I get this text to screen. I use GeForce2 GTS 32Mb and WinME.

Every OpenGL game I’ve tried also gives me some error text. What can I do?[/b]

Hi i had the same problem and i downloaded the nwe detenators from nvidea (XP edition)
and found all was ok (dont use a download exelerator)

i’ve the same problem i’ve a PIV with asus P4T chpset I850 , G3, win XP or 98 SE i play with directX, and i can’t with openGL
Could not load OpenGL subsystem .
I take a old mother board BE6 with a PIII 500 with my G3 i take the same driver 21.83
and it’ ok … ??? i play all the night at medal of honnor and rtwc …it’s good but it’s not the soluce !

I get the cannot open the OpenGL when i try to open Return to Castle WOlfenstein too. It worked perfectly fine on Windows ME until I upgraded to XP. I run on an nVidia Geforce2 64mb, so maybe its windows XP it has a problem with?

Any info?

-Chronic6985@aol.com

I found this statment under notepad on opengl setup.

• WinME users with Radeon cards please note the following: Currently
    we are experiencing a bug in our test lab with GLSetup crashing after
    the installation process finishes (after you click on the Finish
    button). When GLSetup closes an error box will pop stating that
    GLSetup has cause an error with a GLS*.TMP file, where * is a random
    number. So far this doesn’t seem to effect the installation and is a
    bug related to GLSetup itself and not the drivers. If you experience
    this bug and have any problems, please file a bug report. If you are
    a non-Radeon owner or are not running WinME and you experience this
    bug please file a bug report.

• We’re trying to track down a problem where after installing GLSetup,
    you cannot switch out of 640x480 mode. Sometimes reinstalling the
    monitor drivers via the display control panel solves the problem.
    Uninstalling GLSetup also fixes the problem. If you have this
    problem, and can reproduce it repeatedly (in other words, you install,
    have the problem, uninstall, it goes away, reinstall, it occurs again,
    etc.), PLEASE send a bug report (see below) and mention this clearly.
    It would really help us track down the problem.

• It is very important that you have the latest drivers for your
    motherboard installed before you run GLSetup. This is important for
    all users, but it is especially true for AMD CPU owners with ATI cards
    (ATI Rage MAXX cards will not even boot with the latest display
    drivers if the motherboard drivers are not up to date, and you’ll have
    to reboot in Safe Mode and uninstall them). Please update your
    motherboard drivers before continuing. The webpage for your computer
    manufacturer should be able to point you in the right direction to
    upgrade the motherboard drivers.

I hope this helps you under stand. Opengl know of the problem and we all hope that it can be fixed soon

I find the best way to deal with this problem, because i can’t find the DVA=0 line in my win.ini is to scream loudly and pound your fists on the keyboard.

OK now i know everyone and there mom has had problems with open gl and winxp but i need help too… now i have a little odd of a computer its a compaq 7360 … like everyone has said quake worked fine with win 98 but when i tried win xp it doesn’t work … i can’t find a newer driver then the one that XP has already but it still says that it can’t load the open gl subsystem … i’ve tried downloading the newest drivers for my vid card and the update wizard says it can’t find a better match then what it already is using… i have (you can laugh if you want but i don’t have the money for a new card but) a Trident Blade 3d/mvp4 with only 8 meg for ram, its integrated too …i know i know … i’ve also tried to download open gl installers but still no luck … someone help me Please… i want to play quake really bad…plus i would go back to 98 if i could be xp to use my cd burner but it won’t … it says its a burner but it won’t write… i’vce downlaoded the xp updates for it too but what ever… mostly i just want quake to work right now …so if anyone can help please tell me…this is the driver page http://www.viatech.com/drivers.index.htm
trident sold the rights to via tech …so please help PLEASE