Could not load OpenGL subsystem

Ok, you really wanna know why the new drivers aren’t working? Something about them not being certified by microsoft causes windows xp to skip them and go to the defaul drivers. To counter this, all you have todo is force it to install the said drivers for xp. The driver you get from the opengl site works just fine, just put it a folder somewhere after you unzip it and tell your update to search there and force it to use the uncertified update. If this doesn’t work then you either haven’t gotten the right driver or there is some other issue that can be solved by the earlier mentioned solutions.

Same problems as everyone else here-
Soldier of Fortune 2 gives the exact same errors in the loading console as the MOHAA players here.
Also Anachronox starts loading in a windowed screen and then gives me a windows error and closes.
I’m running Xp with a Radeon 64mb DDR VIVO primarily, but when I tried it on another comp running xp and a Radeon 7200 the exact same errors occured.
I’ve already tried fiddling with different driver releases, and the bios, but no luck.
I’ve gotten some good looking advice from this thread (unlike the pre-packaged crud tech support was giving me) which i’m going to try and post here with the results (if any.)

het ppl, same crap as always here i was talkin with a person who knows alotot about computers. firste press start, (XP PRO) control pannel, system then hardware, then device manager look under display adapters, write down the name and maker of ur card. go on the web and search the maker then download the update for it so exemple i have a rage fury/xpert 2000 pro (ATI TECHNOLIGIES). made my microsoft, go to www.ati.com , look under find driver / download drivers, find ur driver and instal, then adjust ur settings and try ur game… should work… another thing i see is that look at this copy from rtcw
look where it says pentum. it says detected pentum III (3) i am running pentium 4… mabey theeses games are not compatible with the new p 4s (just a though no proof) anyway i no all the games work on my p3 laptop ,i just want it to work on this comp…il keep ya posted… (shut up about my spelling !quick typing lol

Wolf 1.0 win-x86 Nov 13 2001
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\mp_pak2.pk3 (3 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\mp_pak1.pk3 (308 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\mp_pak0.pk3 (783 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\pak0.pk3 (4775 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1/main

5869 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn’t exec language.cfg
couldn’t exec wolfconfig_mp.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
…detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----

Loaded 680 translation strings from scripts/translation.cfg
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
…initializing QGL
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘C:\WINDOWS\System32\opengl32.dll’ ): succeeded
…setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
…using desktop display depth of 32
…calling CDS: ok
…registered window class
…created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
…getting DC: succeeded
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
…restoring display settings
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
…setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
…using colorsbits of 16
…calling CDS: ok
…created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
…getting DC: succeeded
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
…23 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
…restoring display settings
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
…shutting down QGL
…unloading OpenGL DLL
…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver
…initializing QGL
…WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
…shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

u must remember when viewing all of theeses pages that tell you to go to websites that if your driver is not made by that company THEN IT WONT WORK, you cant have an ati driver and go to www.nivida.com it wont work . alot of people r gonna have rage cards thooses are made by ati. look at my other mesaage about how to find what kind u have.

commen driver pages!!!

ATI TECHNOLOGIES http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/powered.html

Nivida http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

if not sure try this press display adapteus in the fall down mena after u press scan computer
http://www.drivershq.com/

if not listed press ur manufacteurs name into google…

dr. death

dont click any driver page u must have the correct manufacteurs website of the chip u own to update it…look back to my other message to find out how…once u no find its page and get the update. it wont work if u have an ati chip and try to update with nivida

nivida … www.nivida.com
ati www.ati.com
not sure http://www.drivershq.com/ www.google.com (put in manufacteurs name)

dr. death (evan__03hotmail.com)

[This message has been edited by dr. death (edited 06-14-2003).]

hello,
Firtstly i apologize for my english, but if i can fix your problem… I had this f… “could not load opengl…” when trying to play MOHAA and my solution was finally very simple, but it took me a month… Here is MY solution
Go to “control panel” ->“system” → “device manager” and then “monitor” how many monitors are installed ???
In my case, i had 2 “default monitors” installed in addition to the one I use. I simply disabled them and it works fine since this beautiful day…
I don’t know if it can help you, but if it does, i would be very pleased. So existencial problems can’t stay unanswered…

hello,
Firtstly i apologize for my english, but if i can fix your problem… I had this f… “could not load opengl…” when trying to play MOHAA and my solution was finally very simple, but it took me a month… Here is MY solution
Go to “control panel” ->“system” → “device manager” and then “monitor” how many monitors are installed ???
In my case, i had 2 “default monitors” installed in addition to the one I use. I simply disabled them and it works fine since this beautiful day…
I don’t know if it can help you, but if it does, i would be very pleased. So existencial problems can’t stay unanswered…

Please dont post your win.ini’s! There’s nothing more that can be done by you posting it! Just wasting space and annoying everyone.
Follow the suggestions from previous posters. If you find another fix let us know, otherwise please stop repeating suggestions (ie that whole win.ini fix).

look people, we are all trying to do the same thing here but we r all going to have different soulutions. some people it is there cards, some people cards, some people ****y comp, and others. the moniter one is easy and the same with chip. follow instructions below.

first for chips,

start, control pannel, system then hardware, then device manager look under display adapters, write down the name and maker of ur card. go on the web and search the maker then download the update for it so exemple i have a rage fury/xpert 2000 pro (ATI TECHNOLIGIES). made my microsoft, go to www.ati.com , look under find driver / download drivers, find ur driver and instal, then adjust ur settings and try ur game… should work…
…REMEMBER IF UR CARD IS MADE BY A COMPANY U MUST UPDATE IT AT THAT COMPANY IF U DONT IT WONT EVEN WORK.

NOW moniters,

start, control pannel, system then hardware, then device manager, look under moniters and see how many are installed, if you have two installed click one one and disable it. (that is how to fix, but not the problem on my computer, my computer has a plug and play moniter because xp installs stuff itself)

i hope this helps people when u find ur chip name/ manufacteur just type the name in google and go to there website, u will find the update.

if you need more help email me

PEOPLE STOP POSTING WIN.INI FILES AND GAMES COPYS OF MESSAGES!!!111111

hi im sry if you answered this alreadsy but i dont like to read that much but i have medal of honor allied assalt and i fixed my open gl problen with that 21 day free trial thing but i have another problem wen i start the game it has a blank gray screen thenn it goes into the main game menue i go to play new game and start playing it is all black and gold and cant tell what is what i need help plz

hi im sry if you answered this alreadsy but i dont like to read that much but i have medal of honor allied assalt and i fixed my open gl problen with that 21 day free trial thing but i have another problem wen i start the game it has a blank gray screen thenn it goes into the main game menue i go to play new game and start playing it is all black and gold and cant tell what is what i need help plz

Click Start / Run.
Type “win.ini” (without quotes) and press OK.
Search for a line that says “DVA=0” (without the quotes).
Add a semicolon (:wink: before the DVA (the line should now look like this: “;DVA=0” (without quotes))
Save and close the file
If you find this causes more problems, just take out the semicolon.

solve your problems of open gl people using 3d games ppl.download Scitech GLDirect and you can download a 21-day trial version of their website. Search for the crack and program under google (program scitech gldirect) crack (scitech gl direct v3.0 crack) and u will be up and good playing your favorite game. if u only use the 21 day trial period with out the crack the game still works but is laggey and u cant renew 21 days. it is better to get the crack. you get crack and program separatly. i nver though this would work but it does…
100% GAURENTEE THAT THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS REMemBER TO GET scitech gldirect V3.0 and then download a crack!!!

dr.death
[This message has been edited by dr. death (edited 06-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by dr. death (edited 06-16-2003).]

problems

[This message has been edited by dr. death (edited 07-10-2003).]

when i play jedi knight II it says this

…unloading OpenGL DLL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Originally posted by Gamer:
[b]When I try to start Return to castle wolfenstein it never starts but I get this text to screen. I use GeForce2 GTS 32Mb and WinME.

Every OpenGL game I’ve tried also gives me some error text. What can I do?[/b]

hey ppl, is there any one running on a pentum 4 processor that has actaully fixed there problem. All the other on p 1,2,3 have there own problems it seems. their problem is the monitors ans updating the chips. I think that people with p 4 its not going to work. I look at all of theese games it says it is built for pentim III

this is enemy territory:

. Minimum System Requirements

• Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP OS (Windows NT 4.0 not recommended for clients)
  • 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP compatible system (including all 32bit drivers)
  • Intel® Pentium® III 600Mhz processor or AMD equivalent
  • 128 MB RAM
  • 32 MB 100% fully OpenGL® compliant 3-D video card
  • Microsoft® Direct X® 8.1 or higher (not included)
  • 271 MB total disk space for game files
  • 500 MB free disk space for swap file
  • 100% Microsoft® Windows® compatible keyboard
  • 100% Microsoft® Windows® compatible mouse
  • 100% Microsoft® Windows® compatible sound card
  • For internet play, 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP compatible 56.6k modem or better internet connection. 56.6k modem play is not recommended for games with more than 8 players total; broadband players should be able to handle up to 32 depending on their connection with the server on which they’re playing.

The following video cards were fully tested with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory:

GeForce 4 Ti 4600
GeForce 4 MX
GeForce 3
GeForce 2 Ultra
GeForce 2 MX
GeForce256
Radeon 8500/64
Radeon 7200/64
Radeon 9700 Pro/128
Xabre 400

sorry about space but, u no…
included his tested drivers that work with the game. notice the pentum 3 though. i think all of the other fixes r all good for other ones but on p4 its a whole new ball park. mabey this is not about what systems we r using but the pentum. (p1 p2 p3 p4)

this is wolfenstein enemy territory

. Minimum System Requirements

• Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP OS (Windows NT 4.0 not recommended for clients)
  • 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP compatible system (including all 32bit drivers)
  • Intel® Pentium® III 600Mhz processor or AMD equivalent
  • 128 MB RAM
  • 32 MB 100% fully OpenGL® compliant 3-D video card
  • Microsoft® Direct X® 8.1 or higher (not included)
  • 271 MB total disk space for game files
  • 500 MB free disk space for swap file
  • 100% Microsoft® Windows® compatible keyboard
  • 100% Microsoft® Windows® compatible mouse
  • 100% Microsoft® Windows® compatible sound card
  • For internet play, 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP compatible 56.6k modem or better internet connection. 56.6k modem play is not recommended for games with more than 8 players total; broadband players should be able to handle up to 32 depending on their connection with the server on which they’re playing.

The following video cards were fully tested with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory:

GeForce 4 Ti 4600
GeForce 4 MX
GeForce 3
GeForce 2 Ultra
GeForce 2 MX
GeForce256
Radeon 8500/64
Radeon 7200/64
Radeon 9700 Pro/128
Xabre 400

notice that it only says pentum 3 will work with it . that is the same as other ones that i have checked (games) i do not think the p 4 are able to run theeses games unless using that old gl direct. notice that ppl with p3 can find a fix be it updating drivers or fixing monitors. p 4 i dont think r compatible.

o and tested for that game was some drivers that where proven to work with that game

Originally posted by Mad man:
[b]Iv tried updating open gl and the problem still happens. Im on windows 98 and this error comes up when i start it.

Thanx
Q3 1.11 win-x86 Nov 24 1999
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Quake 3 Arena\baseq3\pak1.pk3 (7 files)
C:\Quake 3 Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3 (3539 files)
C:\Quake 3 Arena/baseq3

[/b]

hi,
my name is rajesh…and i too have the same problem persisting on my pc…
if you know the solution to this problem kindly help me
thankx in advance…
rajesh.atluru
any help appreciated