Could not load OpenGL subsystem

I have the Open Gl subsystem error message as well, Could it be windows 3dfxopengl.dll
loading before my 3rd party drivers?

hey my rage furry pro/xpert 2000 wont support open gl or work for theese game . i think im going to buy a radeon 7000. does any one know any problems with thooses ??? do they support open gl???

hey ppl if u really want to see if your card is at fault of not being able to play go to activisions website (maker of theeses 3d games) and send them ur dxaig test.

start run dxdiag.exe save all, they will email u several times till u find ur awser they r really helpfull

OKAY, I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR LITERALLY ****ING YEARS TO FIX THIS BUG, BUT BEFORE YOU HELP ME…

1.I DO NOT HAVE AN NVIDIA CARD

2.I DO NOT HAVE WIN XP

3.I HAVE TIRED NEARLY EVERY SINGLE IDEA EXCEPT THE NEW NIVIDA DRIVER THINGY POST ON THE FIRST PAGE SEEING HOW I DO NOT HAVE AN NVIDIA.

buy a new video card, radeon 7000 or higher

Originally posted by Dopey:
[b]OKAY, I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR LITERALLY ****ING YEARS TO FIX THIS BUG, BUT BEFORE YOU HELP ME…

1.I DO NOT HAVE AN NVIDIA CARD

2.I DO NOT HAVE WIN XP

3.I HAVE TIRED NEARLY EVERY SINGLE IDEA EXCEPT THE NEW NIVIDA DRIVER THINGY POST ON THE FIRST PAGE SEEING HOW I DO NOT HAVE AN NVIDIA.[/b]

now here’s my prob: I got the beta test RTCWET but it won’t frekingly work. i got win me, 512 mb RAM and a geforce 4 4200 ti with 64 mb RAM. It can’t load open Gl, as usual. any suggestions? plz e-mail me at: felixmantz1@hotmail.com or just poste them.
TIA, sinistersnipe

Okay, nevermind, I fixed it, I just placed the opengl.dll file into the game I wanted to play’s directory and it worked!

I HAVE 2 COMPUTERS, ONES A LAP TOP ONES THIS. ON MY LAPTOP I HADE BOTH GAMES RUNNING SO I JUST WENT IN AND COPIED THE OPEN GL FOLDER FROM RTCW AND FROM SYSTEM OPENGL32.DLL AND EMAILED THEM TO THE COMPUTER WICH MY GAMES WOULD NOT WORK. i JUST COPIED THEM IN AND SAID YES OVERWRITE AND THEN MY GAME WORKED. IF U WANT A MORE DETAILED VERSION OF HOW I FIXED THIS EMAIL ME @

IF ANY ONE WANTS I CAN EMAIL THEN WORKING OPEN GL FOR WOLFENSTEIN AND FOR SYSTEM32.DLL

Originally posted by (FIS)sinistersnipe:
now here’s my prob: I got the beta test RTCWET but it won’t frekingly work. i got win me, 512 mb RAM and a geforce 4 4200 ti with 64 mb RAM. It can’t load open Gl, as usual. any suggestions? plz e-mail me at: felixmantz1@hotmail.com or just poste them.
TIA, sinistersnipe

Hey,

i tried all these and one finally worked and medal of honour was loading up then BAM

says it needs multitexturing compatability anyone got any ideas about this??

witch one worked?

Originally posted by M4nk1nd:
[b]Hey,

i tried all these and one finally worked and medal of honour was loading up then BAM

says it needs multitexturing compatability anyone got any ideas about this??[/b]

Originally posted by The M.A.R.T.:
[b]yepz, also with me. But it is probably because our videocards aren’t made for these kind of games. I own a laptop with a Trident Cyberblade Ai1 AGP.

If anyone knows a program that solves the multitexture problem, or bypasses it with software (Like Scitechs GLDirect for OpenGL if your videocard/drivers doens’t support OpenGL), let me know![/b]

Had the same problem when starting up Enemy Territory. Tried new drivers but they wouldn’t install properly. Reinstalled XP Pro and now it works only it freezes after a few minutes. But that’s probably something else, I’ll sort that one out too.

The reason why I’m posting basically is because there seems to be a problem, there are some solutions but what is causing this error actually???

I think i´m rid of the opengl error, but now when i start rtcw it gives an error abour WolfMP.exe :S
some1 knows what to do?

Same problem here.Same drive, same everything but the system.I got Windows 98 for it.To fix the problem im suppose to run WIN.INI and find something called DVA=0.When I try to find it, there is nothing called that.What do I do then?Did getting Quake 3 off of Kazaa affect it or something?

Yo I solved my prob with Jediknight 2.
And i have Pent. 4 1.6ghz.

I updated my Geforce 2 32mb card’s driver from www.nvdia.com

WHAT WORKED?

Originally posted by jt:
[b]Holy cow… after hours and hours of cursing at nVidia and playing with
various .dll’s/.lib’s, this finally did the trick! (Yay nVidia, Boo Matlab!)

And… Thanks!

[/b]

I HAD SAME PROBLEM I JUST REINSTALLED LATEST DRIVERS FROM MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE

MAKE SURE TRI-LINEAR TEXTURING IS SUPPORTED BY THE VIDEO CARD IF NOT U OUTTA LUCK.

Originally posted by justin:
i have the same problem as wolfwood! I really really want to play MOH someone help!

http://groups.msn.com/openglproblems

this website is all of the info on theeses forums that is worth trying with out the hassle of looking and trying the crappy stuff and ppl whining.

Check to make sure you have a supported 3D video card to play the game. Return to Castle Wolfenstein requires that you have one of the supported 3D cards to play the game. Your card must have 100% OpenGL support and at least 16 MB of memory. A list of the supported chipset is listed in the minimum system requirements.

Make sure you have the latest video and sound card drivers from the manufacturers’ websites.

If you have a motherboard with an onboard video card you need to disable it in the system BIOS. Refer to your motherboard manual and/or contact your motherboard manufacturer on how to do this.

If you are using a video card which supports dual monitors, the secondary monitor must be disabled for OpenGL to initialize correctly.

Make sure the 3D hardware acceleration is turned all the way up.

1. Right-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop and select Properties.
  2. Select the Performance tab and click the Graphics button.
  3. Make sure the acceleration slider is set to Full.

For Windows XP and 2000:

1. Click on the Start button > Settings > Control Panel.
  2. Double-click the Display icon.
  3. Click the Settings tab.
  4. Click the Advanced button.
  5. Click the Troubleshoot tab.
  6. Make sure the acceleration slider is set to Full.

Set your desktop settings to 640 by 480 and High Color (16 bit).

All background applications must be shutdown prior to running the game.

If after trying the above solutions the game still does not work, check the following:

1. Click on the Start button > Run and in the run box type “Sysedit” without the quotes and click the OK button.
  2. When Sysedit comes up you should see a bunch of cascaded windows, select the window that says Win.ini above it.
  3. The Win.ini window should come to the foreground, scroll through the list of items until you come to [DrawDib].
  4. Look for a line under [DrawDib] that says DVA=0 and remove it.
  5. Click File, then Save and close the Sysedit program.
  6. Try the game at this point.

If you do not see the DVA=0 line under the [DrawDib] section, then this is not the cause of your problem. DVA stands for Direct Video Access, and is commonly set to 0 to fix issues with older games or video problems with old software. Unfortunately it causes Return to Castle Wolfenstein to not recognize OpenGL support on your system as well. The only way to fix this is to remove that line. This should not affect anything on your system.

Set your virtual memory to a fixed size.

1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
  2. Click the Advanced button, click on Performance settings.
  3. Click the Advanced tab, click the Change button.
  4. Set the Virtual Memory to a minimum and maximum size of 600MB.
  5. Confirm your selections until at the desktop - you may need to reboot.

NOTE: These steps are specific to Windows XP, Windows NT and 2000 may differ slightly.

This will occur when insufficient Virtual Memory is available for the game. For the best performance and stability under Windows NT, 2000 and XP you should aim for having at least 600MB of virtual memory available.

Turn off GL Extensions in the game by changing the configuration file.

1. Click the Start button > Programs > Accessories > Wordpad.
  2. Open the wolfconfig.cfg file which is located in the Return to Castle Wolfenstein\Main directory on your machine.
  3. Locate the line reading:

seta r_allowExtensions “1”

1. Change the 1 to a 0.
  2. Click File > Save.

If you are not using a 3Dfx video card, disable the WickedGL support in the game.

1. Click the Start button > Programs > Accessories > Wordpad.
  2. Open the WOLFCONFIG.CFG file located in the C:…\Return to Castle Wolfenstein\Main directory.
  3. Located a line reading:

seta r_glIgnoreWicked3D “0”

1. Change the “0” to a “1”.
  2. Save the file.

It is possible the game is having issues generating the configuration file on it’s first run. Try downloading and installing the wolfconfig.cfg file listed below to the game’s \MAIN directory.

If you are using a 3Dfx video card try copying the custom 3dfx OpenGL files into the System directory.

1. Use My Computer to navigate to the Return to Castle Wolfenstein drive on your hard drive.
  2. Double-click the GL folder
  3. Click Edit then Select All.
  4. Click Edit then Copy.
  5. Again using My Computer, go to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM* folder.
  6. Click Edit, then paste. Do not overwrite any existing files.
  • This directory name will change depending on what version of Windows you have.

Windows 95,98,ME: - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Windows 2000, NT: - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32

Windows XP Users:
Please note that the default drivers that come with Windows XP are NOT OpenGL compatible. You will need to go to the video card or video chip manufacturer and obtain the latest Windows XP compatible drivers with OpenGL support. This is especially true for ATi and nVidia based video cards.

I kept getting the message could not access opengl subsystem so I downladed the latest drivers for my graphics card from the manufacturers website and it now works, although I have heard cases from other users from others, worth a try as it did work for me