Console or (Real) Full Screen

Hello,

I’d like to know if there is a way to render using OpenGL in console mode (maybe SVGALIB).
Or How do I do a real FullScreen in X (like the MS Win FullScreen)

Thanx in Advance

Rodrigo G. Domingues

I don’t know how to use OpenGL from the console.

In X Windows,full screen is a function of your windowing system that provides the rendering context for GL. Try using SDL for cross platform window mgt, input, and sound. It’s at www.libsdl.org.

Here is a good tutorial that shows using full-screen in X on Linux: http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=05

maybe the framebuffer could solve your problem if that what you said.

I know there is a way to make OGL work with out even having X installed. This was used before X was big so any docs you find are probly going to be out dated. To go full screen in linux it depends on what SDK your using. There all pretty similar though for GLUT I think its glutFullScreen() and for SDL SDLFullScreen() not sure what it is but it should be on there web sites.

Just forget about the whole idea. Not using X is of course in theory possible although you’ll need something like glx for the console. AFAIK there’s no such thing(I haven’t looked into it much) but even if there were or if you wrote one yourself, no X means no DRI so no HW acceleration, unless of course the console driver implements acceleration for your card. Besides I doubt you loose that much when doing fullscreen in X. I don’t know how windows does it but I remember having read that once a window covers all of the screen the overhead of the X server is pretty small. Try reading the technical faq at dri.sf.net for more info. In short: don’t worry about X stealing your apps cpu time and spend the time you win optimizing your app.

Originally posted by zen:
Just forget about the whole idea. Not using X is of course in theory possible although you’ll need something like glx for the console. AFAIK there’s no such thing(I haven’t looked into it much) but even if there were or if you wrote one yourself, no X means no DRI so no HW acceleration, unless of course the console driver implements acceleration for your card. Besides I doubt you loose that much when doing fullscreen in X. I don’t know how windows does it but I remember having read that once a window covers all of the screen the overhead of the X server is pretty small. Try reading the technical faq at dri.sf.net for more info. In short: don’t worry about X stealing your apps cpu time and spend the time you win optimizing your app.

The Kernel framebuffer drivers would easily provide enough speed to make it worthwhile. Also the original poster did not say that he wanted to do it for speed purposes - maybe he doesn’t normally run X?

Kernel support for some graphics cards is much better than X support e.g. for the ATI Radeon.

Originally posted by LordSpy:
[b]Hello,

I’d like to know if there is a way to render using OpenGL in console mode (maybe SVGALIB).

Thanx in Advance

Rodrigo G. Domingues[/b]

Try
http://home.t-online.de/home/uwe_maurer/ggimesa.htm

Originally posted by LordSpy:
[b]Hello,

Thanx in Advance

Rodrigo G. Domingues[/b]

Nvidia / ATI / 3dlabs OpenGL-drivers are only for X.
You can get fullscreen in X easily by using SDL. OR you can check SDL sources how it does it, if you don’t want to use SDL for some reason.

There is also accelerated OpenGL-support for the console… DirectFB-DRI. It has been ported from the “X DRI” lately. Check the DRI and DirectFB websites (and mailinglists) for more information. http://dri.sf.net and http://www.directfb.org.

The Kernel framebuffer drivers would easily provide enough speed to make it worthwhile. Also the original poster did not say that he wanted to do it for speed purposes - maybe he doesn’t normally run X?

Kernel support for some graphics cards is much better than X support e.g. for the ATI Radeon.

Yes but all the kernel drivers implement AFAIK is access to the cards framebuffer not it accleration HW for 3d graphics.
This GGIMesa patch uses the software mesa driver so it should be useless(or at least I assume so, anyway still no HW accel.)
DirectFB should do the job, although, as it says in the description it’s mostly usefull for embedded systems. I doubt it’d be worth the trouble unless you really can’t use X. I’m saying all this because this is a question that gets asked frequently and usually because the poster is under the illusion tha X incures a lot of overhead on his app. This though seems no to be the case(according to the DRI faq). If this is not the case then disregard my comments and use DirectFB.

Edit:Regarding DirectFB: Just read that DirectFBGL is also needed an is currently only obtainable through CVS. Also only Matroxes are supported right now.

[This message has been edited by zen (edited 07-21-2003).]

Originally posted by zen:
[b] [QUOTE]

Edit:Regarding DirectFB: Just read that DirectFBGL is also needed an is currently only obtainable through CVS. Also only Matroxes are supported right now.[/b]

In fact radeon’s should be supported also… IIRC.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.