ATI vs Nvidia

Order from www.newegg.com they are really fast and cheap. I got the Radeon 8500 Retail for $240. They have the LE for $179

My new comp should arrive soon today!

YEhaw!

[This message has been edited by ThinIce (edited 02-08-2002).]

Well done good and correct choice , im a little bias, but only a little.
Nvidia u r the weakest link goodbye!

Come to think of it, cards that use Nvidia’s chipsets don’t even need to be running on Detonator, since the card manufacturers themselves make their own drivers.

The way I heard it, Detonator was more of a ‘generic’ type of drivers, meant to run on any Nvidia chipset, regardless of the card manufacturer. However, the card manufacturers themselves, i.e. Hercules, make their own set of drivers that are meant to run specifically on their own products.

My parents’ GeForce2MX currently runs on Detonator, however, I heard that the card manufacturer’s drivers are better, since they’re designed for that specific card. My question is, which set of drivers, the chipset designer’s, or the card manufacturer’s, would run better?

Chipset designer’s.

Originally posted by rpxmaster:
My question is, which set of drivers, the chipset designer’s, or the card manufacturer’s, would run better?

As I understand it, the card manufacturers use the “detonator” drivers as a base for their own drivers, and then they slap on their own logos, and add little tweaks for card specific stuff (e.g. video in/out, 3D glasses etc).

The thing is, that the chipset designer’s drivers are usually more up to date (often much so), since the card manufacturer driver design adds yet another cycle of development over the generic drivers (and my experience is that nVidia is putting alot of more work into drivers than do e.g. ASUS).