ATI GL Shading Languaje in Catalyst 3.10

Catalyst 3.10 are in ATI’s web page. In the new features you can read:
OpenGL Shading Language Support
This release adds support for the OpenGL Shading Language (GLSL), a flexible, forward-looking, and hardware-independent high-level graphics programming language. The OpenGL Shading Language, defined as an open standard by the OpenGL Architecture Review Board, allows application developers to take advantage of the powerful programmable vertex and pixel processing units present in the 3D graphics system. Open languages offer developers the fastest route to using the latest graphics hardware features. Developers who are interested in using the OpenGL Shading Language with ATI hardware should contact ATI Developer Relations (devrel@ati.com) for more details and documentation. This feature is available for the following ATI RADEON™ family product line:

ATI RADEON™ 9800 series
ATI RADEON™ 9700 series
ATI RADEON™ 9600 series
ATI RADEON™ 9500 series
The feature is available for all operating systems supported by the CATALYST™ software driver.

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/010876.html

But this is official!

If official, then why this: “Developers who are interested in using the OpenGL Shading Language with ATI hardware should contact ATI Developer Relations (devrel@ati.com)” ??

Are GLSL extensions present in the extension string or are they not?

<edit>
Ok, read the Fishman’s thread. But still, what’s so special about it (except the obvious ) that you need to get some special info from ATi?

[This message has been edited by MZ (edited 12-17-2003).]

If official, then why this:

Optimistically, because ATi wants people to see them as being progressive on the glslang front. They want people to be able to contact them and engage in a dialog with them about glslang.

Pessimistically, because the ATi implementation is still buggy, and they don’t want to tell us out in the open, so those interested should get the disclaimer by contacting ATi DevRel.

In either case, we’ve got a version of glslang that is being exposed in official drivers.

The reason they want you to contact them, is because this is the first public BETA.

And it isn’t that buggy, it’s just missing a few (lot) features.

Isnt’ the Cat 3.10’s OpenGL driver the exact same file as the one from the Cat 3.9 “CoD hotfix”?
It’s the same build number … 1.4.4054 for both.

Originally posted by NitroGL:
[b]The reason they want you to contact them, is because this is the first public BETA.

And it isn’t that buggy, it’s just missing a few (lot) features.[/b]

What features are missing?

Loops, a few esoteric features like noise().

Btw, don’t forget to check out my new GLSL demo.
http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

Yup, although noise is emulated in software.

Originally posted by Humus:
Btw, don’t forget to check out my new GLSL demo.
http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

Nice Humus, you told everyone to visit your site, and now it crashed
"Warning: Too many connections in /home/humus/database.php on line 4

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /home/humus/database.php on line 4

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/humus/database.php on line 6

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/humus/public_html/3D/index.php on line 34

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/humus/public_html/3D/index.php on line 36…"
and about 40 more errors

Yes, I guess it was posted somewhere with a lot of users. It should be able to take the forum users from opengl.org and a few other places where I’ve made a post about it. Unfortunately, my roommate is asleep now, and I don’t have the root password to the server right now it seems, so I can’t restart the database, or even restart the machine. Give it 8 hours and it should be back up again though.

Well, the server is up again.

Originally posted by zeckensack:
Isnt’ the Cat 3.10’s OpenGL driver the exact same file as the one from the Cat 3.9 “CoD hotfix”?
It’s the same build number … 1.4.4054 for both.

Actually the new one is 4063 from what I can tell.

Nice demo Humus.

I see you like the shiny bathroom tile look.

Shiny == good, no?

Is it me or the Catalyst 3.10 are the first ATI drivers to fully support OpenGL 1.4 and to return the version string accordingly?

Just thinking so 'cause a couple weeks ago I tested one of my apps on a Radeon and it wouldn’t run simply because of the lack of support of OpenGL 1.4 (note that by bypassing a few tests and initializations it would run).

Yes, it’s the first Cat (if you don’t count the CoD-Hotfix released after Cat3.9) that exposes a gl1.4 version string, but “older” drivers already had full GL1.4-support but they just didn’t report the right string.

Hey Humus, another nice demo you got there with the cloth type simulation.

I think you could win another videocard if you entered the Nehe openGL contest.