Alternative to glFramebufferTexture for OpenGL version 3.1

Hello,

I am trying to create an OpenGL 3.1 application for the Oculus Rift and one item it seems to require is a frame buffer texture but the function glFramebufferTexture is available for versions 3.2 and higher.

Is there a function that mimics this via a hack or something for OpenGL 3.1?

Thank you for your time.

glFramebufferTexture2D for your case??

Framebuffer objects are part of core OpenGL® since version 3.0 (or previous via an extension).

It is true that the glFramebufferTexture function is only available in 3.2, but the specialized glFramebufferTextureND are available in 3.1.

I don’t see where your problem is. The simplest way would be to set up an FBO with a 2D texture color buffer attachment. One for the left eye and one for the right
eye. The resulting textures are rendered on two quads with a distortion applied for the Rift and that should be it.

[QUOTE=Agent D;1259389]glFramebufferTexture2D for your case??

Framebuffer objects are part of core OpenGL® since version 3.0 (or previous via an extension).

It is true that the glFramebufferTexture function is only available in 3.2, but the specialized glFramebufferTextureND are available in 3.1.

I don’t see where your problem is. The simplest way would be to set up an FBO with a 2D texture color buffer attachment. One for the left eye and one for the right
eye. The resulting textures are rendered on two quads with a distortion applied for the Rift and that should be it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I was just trying to use the built in Oculus Rift SDK which takes the ID of the function.

Example below:

[...]

GLuint l_FBOId;
	glGenFramebuffers(1, &l_FBOId);
	glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, l_FBOId);

// The texture we're going to render to...
	GLuint l_TextureId;
	glGenTextures(1, &l_TextureId);
	// "Bind" the newly created texture : all future texture functions will modify this texture...
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, l_TextureId);
	// Give an empty image to OpenGL (the last "0")
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, l_TextureSize.w, l_TextureSize.h, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, 0);
	// Linear filtering...
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);

// Create Depth Buffer...
	GLuint l_DepthBufferId;
	glGenRenderbuffers(1, &l_DepthBufferId);
	glBindRenderbuffer(GL_RENDERBUFFER, l_DepthBufferId);
	glRenderbufferStorage(GL_RENDERBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, l_TextureSize.w, l_TextureSize.h);
	glFramebufferRenderbuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_RENDERBUFFER, l_DepthBufferId);

[...]

/*

Oculus Rift API

*/

ovrGLTexture l_EyeTexture[2];
	l_EyeTexture[0].OGL.Header.API = ovrRenderAPI_OpenGL;
	l_EyeTexture[0].OGL.Header.TextureSize.w = l_TextureSize.w;
	l_EyeTexture[0].OGL.Header.TextureSize.h = l_TextureSize.h;
	l_EyeTexture[0].OGL.Header.RenderViewport = l_Eyes[0].RenderViewport;
	l_EyeTexture[0].OGL.TexId = l_TextureId;

[...]

[QUOTE=Agent D;1259389]glFramebufferTexture2D for your case??

eye. The resulting textures are rendered on two quads with a distortion applied for the Rift and that should be it.[/QUOTE]

glFramebufferTexture2D works. Thank you.