What do you think of the future of OpenGL?

my uptime record is about three months (suse linux). Win2K: two weeks.

MtPOI

“My uptime’s longer than yours!”

That’s pathetic. Why don’t you all just drop down your pants and see who’s got the biggest d***?

– Tom

It was pretty obvious that this was going to be a flamewar by just reading the subject.

But you can’t say the flamewars aren’t diverse here. I’m just waiting for this to degenerate into a C vs C++ with Tom trying to convince everyone about the merits of Delphi.

My dad can beat up your dad!

– Tom

Originally posted by PixelDuck:

Anyways, I meant arrays of four-component vectors, not a single four-component vector, that’s apparent. Like SetVertexConstantF(…) with which you can set an array of vectors, multiple registers in one call. Does this exist in OpenGL?

In the spec it says that this wasn’t added because it would mean having to add more entry points plus GL has old tricks up it’s sleeve that solves any future problem that comes up.

In this case, you can use display lists for example.

Side note: go ahead and ask questions such as the above, but asking which is better (GL or DX) is ridiculous for 2 reasons :

1. It’s been asked on a weekly basis in the past.

2. Most people here are biased for GL, so the answer is obvious to them.

Some informative links :
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000903.html http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003901.html http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/008241.html http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000963.html http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000915.html http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/008292.html http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/006316.html http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003928.html

Originally posted by Tom Nuydens:
My dad can beat up your dad!

Hey there’s no need for that.

Maybe I can help port some of your demos to Linux. I looked over the shadow mapping paper by Brabec and I’d like to see the theory in action.

Then with our superior kernel, compiler, and API we can rule the world with an iron fist. Muwahaha. We’ll get a mini penguin clone that cannot get enough fudge. We’ll force everyone to cough up one meeellion dollars or else mini-tux will mess you up with his shiny, bumpmapped teapot. Muwahahahaha!!! Muwahahahah!!! Muwahahaha!!!

Alright, ignore that last paragraph. I’ve had to much coke.

Originally posted by PK:
[b] You need to try a distro with better package management (debian, gentoo). If certain features of the kernel were compiled as modules you don’t need to reboot even if you install a driver. I haven’t had to reboot the last bunch of times I’ve installed new nVidia drivers. I kill X. emerge nvidia-glx. emerge nvidia-kernel. Then I’m ready to go. The drivers are downloaded and installed automagically.

DIE RPM DIE RedHat is actually holding back Linux on the desktop by using their poor package management system.

But Gentoo is definitely a power users desktop. The Portage system is quite cool though. I haven’t had to much exposure to Debian and Apt, but it looks quite cool also. Red Hat needs to adopt one of these package management systems and throw a pretty UI around it to make it more intuitive for new users.[/b]

I’m using Red Hat 8.0. I’m still pretty new to linux so I havn’t heard of these package management systems you speak of. Well I recognize Debian but I never knew what it was. Is there anyway I can use one of these systems like Debian or whatever with my Red Hat 8? It would sure make installing stuff easier it seems.

I seem to be having a problem logging in as root in Red Hat. When it comes up to the point where it says “login:” or something like that, a few seconds later X starts and KDE loads up, not letting me type in root then my password. This is off topic but how the heck do I kill X so I can login as root in Red Hat 8 so I can install things like drivers or update the kernel (oh the horror ) ?

-SirKnight

Originally posted by PK:

Alright, ignore that last paragraph. I’ve had to much coke.

Coke eh?

And this children is why you DON’T do drugs.

hehe

-SirKnight

Originally posted by Tom Nuydens:
[b]“My uptime’s longer than yours!”

That’s pathetic. Why don’t you all just drop down your pants and see who’s got the biggest d***?

– Tom[/b]

LOL! That sounds about like something us guys would do.

-SirKnight

Alright this thread is pretty off-topic already so here goes.

Originally posted by SirKnight:
I’m using Red Hat 8.0. I’m still pretty new to linux so I havn’t heard of these package management systems you speak of. Well I recognize Debian but I never knew what it was. Is there anyway I can use one of these systems like Debian or whatever with my Red Hat 8? It would sure make installing stuff easier it seems.

I don’t know of a way. A quick search on google for “redhat apt-get” revealed this. http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

First time i’ve heard of it though.

EDIT: Just ran into this. http://irtfweb.ifa.hawaii.edu/~ao/software/aoic/redhat_updates.html

I seem to be having a problem logging in as root in Red Hat. When it comes up to the point where it says “login:” or something like that, a few seconds later X starts and KDE loads up, not letting me type in root then my password. This is off topic but how the heck do I kill X so I can login as root in Red Hat 8 so I can install things like drivers or update the kernel (oh the horror ) ?

TMTOWTDI

You should be able to choose a console login rather than a graphical login somewhere in your KDE menu.

Otherwise, go for a “$init 3”. I believe RedHat uses runlevel 3 as single-user, console. Check /etc/inittab to be sure.

You could change the line in /etc/inittab that has X set to respawn to once. Then “$ps -x --forest”, then “# kill xxxx” where xxxx is the process number for the xserver.

You could hit Ctl-Alt-F1 to switch to a virtual console. And ignore the fact that x is running. The drivers might complain though when you try to install them.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 02-19-2003).]

Please don’t do it!

EDIT:
DOH!, this was supposed to go up one step and was directed to SirKnight w. friends

[This message has been edited by FXO (edited 02-19-2003).]

[b] Coke eh?

And this children is why you DON’T do drugs.

hehe
[/b]

I meant coca cola. But I’m not sure which one is worse.

This is off topic but how the heck do I kill X so I can login as root in Red Hat 8 so I can install things like drivers or update the kernel (oh the horror ) ?

• Open up a terminal/console (Konsole is good)
  • Type without quotes (‘su’ to root first): “/sbin/telinit 3”
  • Wait a few seconds, X will be killed and you’ll be thrown into the mighty shell (probably bash in your case)
  • Do whatever you should do to update those drivers (readme! and learn to use vi(m)!)
  • When you’re ready, type this without quotes: “/sbin/telinit 5; exit”
  • Wait a few seconds, X will be started and so will GDM, KDM or just your DE/WM.

No need to reboot the system, eat that Bill!

[/offtopic]

Originally posted by PK:
I meant coca cola. But I’m not sure which one is worse.

Ya I know, just couldn’t resist.

And thanks PK and richardve for the WAY off topic linux help. I should probably get a book on Linux, specifically Red Hat 8. One thing I still need to do is somehow downgrade the version of g++ that I have to an older verison. The one I have, which I think is the second from the newest or something, is a big pos. The only programs I can get working correctly on there is “hello world.”

OpenGL FOREVER!!

-SirKnight

>> I’ve heard that a great part of the administrative side of the countys (don’t know if that’s the right word) in Finland are actually turning to Linux<<

i know the german government is very support of KDE.

some recent good news for linux (from memory)
*in 2001 desktop (not server) growth was something like 20%. windows managed something like 2% (this is why ms is very worried by linux)
*in 2002 walmart (biggest usa department store) have started selling computers with linux preinstalled
*mandrake seems to be near dead which is a good thing (using mandrake8.2 at the mo btw)
*kde + gnome will talk a bit more with each other.

personally though at the moment linux(even lindows) is still not ready for the general populace

Richard Stallman once said; VI is not a sin, it’s a penance.

SirKnight -

I think the problem you’re having wiht whatever version of g++ you’re using is that g++ now conforms to the offical C++ standard. From my understanding, C++ has been slowly evolving and has only ~very recently~ been locked to THE official ANSI C++ coding standard. I used to have some of the changes in my head, but now I can’t think of anything. ;-(

Anyways, you could try using kgcc instead of g++. kgcc tends to be an older version to compile the kernel.

cheers,
John

pfff, anyways my uptime IS longer :wink:

MtPOI

One thing I still need to do is somehow downgrade the version of g++ that I have to an older verison. The one I have, which I think is the second from the newest or something, is a big pos. The only programs I can get working correctly on there is “hello world.”

I’m gonna have to agree with john. I’m running gcc3.2.2 and everything works pretty dandy. Stuff like Koenig lookup works according to the spec. Make sure you use standard headers correctly. #include <iostream> instead of #include <iostream.h>. All iostream stuff is in the std namespace.

gcc has a new parser that fixes a bunch of bugs and precompiled headers are (finally!!!) coming pretty soon.

If you are still not satisfied you can try Intel’s compiler. It is available for Linux for personal use.

>> “V-man: In the spec it says that this wasn’t added because it would mean having to add more entry points plus GL has old tricks up it’s sleeve that solves any future problem that comes up.” <<

Duh! Now I remember that part, I read it through some time ago and seem to have forgotten it. Sorry But I still hope they will add it later on. And one thing is BADLY lacking: all brancing (and looping, for that matter)

Edit: But, NV_vertex_program has a plural version.

Edit: A.t.m. the lack isn’t that bad, since DX has introduced it only recently in version 9.0. But for the future it might even become essential. Reducing shader objects, for instance.

PK: Is there a compiler by AMD? Since I’d prefer AMD optimized compilation :\

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by PixelDuck (edited 02-20-2003).]