Unable to resolve link error

Hi!

I’ve just started learning to program in OpenCL, but I’m getting a link error that I’m unable to resolve. I believe I’ve installed everything properly, it’s probably just an error in the way I’ve coded the gcc command. I’m running under Ubuntu 1910 (64-bit), with an Nvidia graphics card. The program just calls clGetPlatformIDs() and prints the results. Here’s the console output:

david$ ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    18 Apr  5  2017 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so.1 -> libOpenCL.so.1.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 43072 Apr  5  2017 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so.1.0.0
david$ nm -D /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so.1 | grep -i clgetplatform
0000000000005010 T clGetPlatformIDs
00000000000060b0 T clGetPlatformInfo
david$ gcc -DCL_TARGET_OPENCL_VERSION=120 detect.c -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so.1
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccCIjSXP.o: in function `main':
detect.c:(.text+0x2d): undefined reference to `clGetPlatformIDs'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Here’s the source code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <CL/cl.h>

int main(void)
{
    cl_int err;
    cl_uint numPlatforms;
    err = clGetPlatformIDs(0, NULL, &numPlatforms);
    if (CL_SUCCESS == err)
         printf("\nDetected OpenCL platforms: %d", numPlatforms);
    else
         printf("\nError calling clGetPlatformIDs. Error code: %d", err);
    return 0;
}

As you can see, the library is installed, but the linker is unable to resolve the reference to clGetPlatformIDs(). Any suggestions?

Thanks.

with the “-L” flag you set the search path for libraries. to use a specific library you have to use the “-l” flag
and usually you dont use the full path with “-l”. try “-lOpenCL”

1 Like

Yes, I tried that too, but I got a different error (library not found). I tried specifying the file name in full, as well as the abbreviation (“OpenCL”). I also tried both the symbolic link (‘libOpenCL.so.1’ and the actual file (‘libOpenCL.so.1.0.0’). Could it be an issue with dynamic vs. static link libraries?

david$ ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    18 Apr  5  2017 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so.1 -> libOpenCL.so.1.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 43072 Apr  5  2017 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenCL.so.1.0.0
david$ gcc -DCL_TARGET_OPENCL_VERSION=120 detect.c -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lOpenCL
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lOpenCL
david$ gcc -DCL_TARGET_OPENCL_VERSION=120 detect.c -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -llibOpenCL.so.1.0.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llibOpenCL.so.1.0.0
david$ gcc -DCL_TARGET_OPENCL_VERSION=120 detect.c -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -llibOpenCL.so.1
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llibOpenCL.so.1
david$ 

Thanks.

I found the problem. The symbolic link to the library had a suffix of ‘.1’, which prevented the linker from finding the library. After renaming it from ‘libOpenCL.so.1’ to ‘libOpenCL.so’, I was able to compile and link with the following command (as you suggested):

$ gcc -DCL_TARGET_OPENCL_VERSION=120 detect.c -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lOpenCL

I’m not sure why it had that suffix (it was installed with that name), but anyway…

Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.