The Pipeline newsletter

Should we take bets on whether Kronos will release stuff over the weekend? :stuck_out_tongue:

Depending on who’s in charge of posting the spec to the website, they’ve still got a few hours today; for example, NVIDIA is on the U.S. west coast, and it’s only 9:40AM here.

For all we know, the spec is already uploaded, and the ARB is watching the forums giggling like schoolgirls as we cry out for information.

or not.

My apologies to both schoolgirls and the ARB.

The spec may not even be ‘ready’ yet; as I recall Khronos has a 30 day review period for finished specs before they go public, so if it was ‘finished’ on Sept 1st it wouldn’t be public until the 30th and given that’s a sunday I wouldn’t expect it until monday at the earliest myself.

Of course, I’ll be happy to be proven wrong on this :smiley:

Should we take bets on whether Kronos will release stuff over the weekend?
10 bucks says she aint gonna make it :wink:

bobvodka: Khronos has a 30 day review period for finished specs before they go public
And who better to review it than all of us. :smiley:
They should post a DRAFT spec and ask for comments from the people who are going to use it,
BEFORE they do the final review and give it to the driver writers to start coding.

OK, now they’re late. You can freely complain about it.

And who better to review it than all of us.
That’s not how it works; it never has been. The “Open” in OpenGL doesn’t mean that we get to vet their specifications before they release them.

OK, now they’re late. You can freely complain about it.
Yay!

Grumble grumble grumble…

Me too: <Insert randomly generated complain hier>

seriously, what’s going on??

It would be nice if someone who knows what’s going on would at least say “hi”… It’s been pretty quiet all month.

After all of the discussions on what might be in the spec (e.g. the GLSL compile speculation) I get the impression neither members of the Kronos group nor their associates pay attention to this forum.

Maybe someone on the nvidia developer forum knows what’s going on.

Update:

With a tiny bit of url site hopping I found the Kronos forum: http://www.khronos.org/message_boards/

There is no OpenGL 2.x or 3.x dedicated forum unfortunately. Time to start one?

Looking at the contents of the nvidia forum (http://developer.nvidia.com/forums/index.php) it does not seem like the place to ask spec progress questions.

I get the impression neither members of the Kronos group nor their associates pay attention to this forum.
They don’t usually comment in our debates, but they often answer our questions after publishing a newsletter. So they do pay attention to the forum.

Though probably not this particular section, which has a signal-to-noise ratio of approximately 0.

Update:
You tease. I thought that might have been a real update.

Originally posted by Korval:
They don’t usually comment in our debates, but they often answer our questions after publishing a newsletter. So they do pay attention to the forum.

If they ARE listening, it really would be nice to at least hear whether or not the spec has entered into the 30 day evaluation period.

Obviously it’s not ready yet, and I know that no-one likes to come out and say that there have been delays/setbacks/problems (hey, I work in the software industry too!) but I can’t imagine that there’s any benefit to letting us all hang here!

Come on! Throw us a bone!

Come on! Throw us a bone!
sigh Young people.

Time once was that the ARB told us stuff whenever they were good and ready. They didn’t have things like scheduled newsletters; the most we could hope for is a minutes of a meeting. And that was fairly thin information.

Not that you shouldn’t complain, of course. However, that doesn’t mean that anything will be done. But it might, so feel free.

Though probably not this particular section, which has a signal-to-noise ratio of approximately 0.
Agreed. I was mostly referring to the debates in other sections that content actual content. The multiple page discussion on GLSL compiler issues seems like something that someone involved in the spec development could offer insight into. Given that there was no such comment it made me doubt their active participation in this forum. I haven’t been around long enough to objectively say this, of course.

When I read those debates concerning speculation (or expectations or hopes) about the coming spec I feel that participation by someone in the know would be quite useful. It’s not as if the spec is proprietary. Maybe I don’t understand the issues involved in spec formulation that require a modicum of “secrecy”. Once again, I merely am putting forth a completely subjective opinion from my limited point of view.

:slight_smile:

they’re like buses - you wait 3 months for one, then 5 come along at once. You get a flurry of them who can’t do enough for you…michael gold, barthold etc.
They must be awfully busy at the moment.
Here’s another analogy - we’re like expectant fathers pacing the waiting room, sweat on our brow, cigars poised at the ready. I need some gas and air.

Nice one :slight_smile:

the most we could hope for is a minutes of a meeting. And that was fairly thin information.
Actually, I wouldn’t mind seeing the minutes from the last face-to-face meeting right about now.

I guess, to be fair, they said the OpenGL 3 spec would be available “as soon as” the end of August, which isn’t really a promise, and I don’t ever recall them promising to follow a strict schedule for the newsletters.