There’s no such statement. Korval has mis-spoken here.
Korval, this isn’t accurate, though I would be curious where you saw this stated.
Korval, this isn’t accurate, though I would be curious where you saw this stated.
I didn’t see it stated; I’m making a (to my mind, quite reasonable) assumption based on the available data. To whit:
1: ATi announces GL 3.0 support in Q1 next year.
2: ATi and Blizzard announce some vague cooperation with regard to Blizzard’s games.
3: SC2’s earliest (reasonable) release date would be sometime Q1 of next year.
I mean, I don’t see it as much of a stretch to say that SC2 will provide GL 3.0 support. I mean, I could be wrong (you’d know better than I), but all the available facts suggest it.
*_redist is the redistributable files you can distribute with your DX application. It is not the SDK.
You have to download DXSDK_Aug08.exe.
I think this is a fine post, it makes it clear that you are only attempting to “connect the dots” with casual speculation. That’s very different from “this was stated”.
IMO SC2 will not need GL3.0, why Blizzard doesn’t make their games run on current top of the line hardware, as GL3 would need. I can see GL2.0 though! 
Blizzards games are fun, and have really great storylines, along with the Best CG cut scenes, NOBODY does cut scenes like BLizzard and that is one reason I buy them, just to see them. Hell Diablo2 when Tyrael fights with Diablo’s brothers is just badass. Not including all the SC, Warcraft movies. I would like to see GL3.0 features in SC2, but in reality there isn’t a huge need for it this time around. Now SC3, I would expect it. 
For the record, you’ve been able to do this with NV hardware for some time with a NVX extension.
I wasn’t aware of that. Which NV_ extension?
Ah, my bad, it was infact GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats; technically an experimental extension but it allowed the functionality to work on my 8800GT card in Vista.
This Siggraph presentation from Blizzard states :
For Starcraft II, we wanted to maximize compatibility with less capable systems to ensure hassle-free game play for as broad a player base as possible. Yet we also wanted to utilize the full potential of any available hardware to ensure the game’s looks were competitive. This meant supporting a wide range of hardware, from ATI RadeonTM 9800/NVIDIA GeForceTM FX’s to the ATI RadeonTM HD 4800s and NVIDIA GeForceTM G200s, targeting maximum utilization on each different GPU platform.
This range of hardware support clearly matches the targeted GL 3.0 capable platforms. That’s even more evidence to Korval’s deduction…
Funny, I seem to recall that being an NV extension too. Easy mistake to make with that dizzying blizzard of NV_*s in the extension string, some 42 in total by my weary-eyed estimates.
[quote=“bertgp”]
This Siggraph presentation from Blizzard states :
For Starcraft II, we wanted to maximize compatibility with less capable systems to ensure hassle-free game play for as broad a player base as possible. Yet we also wanted to utilize the full potential of any available hardware to ensure the game’s looks were competitive. This meant supporting a wide range of hardware, from ATI RadeonTM 9800/NVIDIA GeForceTM FX’s to the ATI RadeonTM HD 4800s and NVIDIA GeForceTM G200s, targeting maximum utilization on each different GPU platform.
This range of hardware support clearly matches the targeted GL 3.0 capable platforms. That’s even more evidence to Korval’s deduction… [/QUOTE]
Actually not, since Radeon 9800 and GeForce FX are not GL 3.0 capable.
Perhaps that’s just a bit of wishful thinking on Korval’s part. A big game release touting GL3 in its trailer couldn’t hurt things for GL. If Id software follows suit with a big release of their own, leaping lizards… I expect we’d see quality drivers toot sweet (maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part).
Well, no, more likely we’ll be back in the Quake days of "it’ll be fast provided you do what Blizzard or iD are doing’.
Not that it matters much as iD are pretty much going to be using GL2.x (or maybe less, and JC wasn’t happy with what happened with GL either) and Rob’s comments indicate that Blizzard will be using GL2.x as well so there is no pressure for anyone to produce quality GL3.0 drivers anyway.
NVIDIA has a certain incentive to make quality drivers. All that data being crunched through Tesla cards needs to be visualized somehow. DX is seen as being for games, so I expect that a lot of the visualization code is written in OpenGL.
Of course, OpenGL is the only solution to visualize that data on Linux. I don’t know any usage statistics for Linux/Windows in visualization applications.
Seeing as D3D10 is a general 3D API, I personally don’t see anything wrong with using it for visualization (especially on consumer-level cards) as long as you don’t need quad buffers.
EDIT: Of course, there is the benefit of more code/support for using OpenGL for vis… dang, now I’m unsure again.
leaping lizards?
crazier than a spit-house rat (only I don’t mean spit).
God help me I do love a good colloquialism.
Nice signature, modus. 
thanks. I really think a bumper sticker would sell like hot-cakes in the arctic.