Pose action space can not filter between left and right hand

Being able to assign multiple trackers to a single role sounds counterintuitive to the hardware-abstracted model OpenXR seems to be designed around. I don’t think the intent with the current Vive tracker extension is to support anything other than role-based tracking for use in games.

I’m not sure, but it seems neither HTC or Valve seem to be interested in supporting using their tracking systems for MoCap.

I tried assigning different roles to the tracker and one does report pose the other not. :confused:

I did more testing. No matter if using one action for all or one action for each tracker using 1 tracker works but as soon as I have two or more active all but the first one get no pose.

That sounds like a bug that might be worth reporting to Valve. Does it work with one action per role?

I guess I tripped myself during all the debugging. I assigned each per-tracker-action to all possible role path on that tracker. Looks like SteamVR did not like the same role being assigned to different actions. I forced now assigning only the role each tracker has and now two tracker show pose. The problem now is that if I activate the tracker while the app is running SteamVR reports them as new but it does not provide post although the required role actions are set up. I guess I need to implement session restart logic.

I can’t shake the impression this is NOT how the OpenXR designers conceived the system :frowning:

I’ll put this for a halt. I did more extensive testing with 5 trackers assigned individual roes and with the current OpenXR implementation in SteamVR trackers are simply not working at all. I attached 5 trackers and only two of them reported positions while the other 3 had been dead. Most of the time only one tracker reported something. Not to mention when you start the app and get focus enumeration yields 0 trackers although 5 are attached. No events send, nothing. You have to deactivate/activate one of them to trigger the events to be send. This is just totally unstable right now. OpenVR works without problem. Will be a long time before OpenXR in SteamVR is anywhere usable it looks like. Right now it’s a mess. U_U

The HTCX vive tracker extension is a vendor extension and experimental. There are certainly things I’d do differently, and will encourage differently when such support advances, but without this extension there would be no way to access the devices, rather than a not-fully-ergonomic way to do it. Please do continue to provide feedback as it will help form future work.

I posted in the wrong thread:

Yesterday trackers did not work at all in my testing. Today I fired did the 5-tracker test again to prepare a test-example for Valve developers to look at and now the 5 trackers did deliver positions and even MoCap with them worked. Still they are not recognized if activated before the app starts and even polling regularly does not make them show up. This is the only issue I could not work around yet. Let’s see if the guys over at Valve comment about this. My experience so far though says no :frowning:

EDIT: A little correction. If you switch off and then again one of the trackers then all trackers show up in the enumeration. I’ll have to test if this also happens on Windows. Maybe I’m lucky and it is only OS specific.

EDIT: Nope, windows shows the same problem. It’s thus a SteamVR problem across OSses.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.