OpenGL wiki?

It is the best idea that I ever seen on this board :slight_smile:

It could also possibly include some basic tutorials for beginners, like “Hello, OpenGL!” :wink:

one more idea for a wiki - updated version of Tom’s hardware info - http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/index.php.
Not only on a MS Windows platform, and more interactive, with a sorting by GPU’s/drivers generations, context parameters, etc :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Dj3hut1:
[b]
Here is the list : wikiopengl.xml

This list is not complete, but i hope that some of these themes could be found in the wiki.
[/b]
it’s really incomplete. I found a HLSL, Cg, but not a GLSL :slight_smile:

Originally posted by azazello:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Dj3hut1:
[b]
Here is the list : wikiopengl.xml

This list is not complete, but i hope that some of these themes could be found in the wiki.
[/b]
it’s really incomplete. I found a HLSL, Cg, but not a GLSL :-)[/b][/QUOTE]O no, that is really embarrassing for me :rolleyes: .
I will add it as soon as possible.

dj3hut1

Just a quick update: I went ahead and worked out a skeleton for the Wiki that roughly combines the current FAQ pages with the organization of these forums. These would be the top-level categories I had in mind:

[ul][li]Getting started: setting up the runtime and development environment[]General OpenGL: most of the current FAQ stuff[]OpenGL extensions: discussion of individual extensions[]Shading languages: what it says[]Performance: also what it says[]Math and algorithms: vector and matrix math, application design, rendering techniques, …[]Platform specifics: Win32/Linux/MacOS/… specific issues[]Hardware specifics: NVidia/ATI/… specific issues (e.g. driver bugs, avoiding software fallbacks)[]Related toolkits and APIs: GLU, Glut, extension loading, …[*]History of OpenGL: what it says[/ul][/li]Following Dj3hut1’s suggestion, a glossary of terms might also be a useful addition.
I’ve been moving content from the current FAQ in there, and I’m also trying to put at least something in every other category to serve as a sort of template for future additions.
Comments? Questions?

Originally posted by Tom Nuydens:
Comments? Questions?
OGL ES?

Great work Tom! The whole point of the wiki is that the contributions of the community will soon make it large enough to be a useful knowledgebase.
Keep up the good work. If you need any helping hand as far as writing articles is concerned, feel free to bug me.

so the difference between this and something like gamedev/opengl.org is that anyone can contribute and edit the content?
I can imagine this will result in a glut of waffle, garbage and misinformation unless the catagories are really specific.

That’s OK knacky, you’ll be there to post corrections and revert the crap away ;-).

I suppose I can be persuaded to appoint myself the role of wiki-moderator.
I can see the amusement value in deleting all the good stuff and leaving the drivel. It’s the vandal in me rising to the surface.

What about multilanguage support? For beginners its sometimes easier to begin with their native language.

That would be another project, I would imagine - a site that contains the opengl wiki translated into whatever language. The primary wiki should be in english, because that is the primary language of OpenGL.
As an aside - I would certainly recommend that someone should learn English before learning OpenGL - it will come in far more useful in the long term.

Agree on thew idea of multilanguage support. That would be a really good thing, specially for people starting with OpenGL (of course, the primary wiki being in English).
It would be nice to see and to be able to supply links to the wiki translated into my native language (portuguese)

Which wiki engine is supporting multilanguage like wikipedia? And what just is happen? How is working on a wiki and can I help?

marco:
Which wiki engine is supporting multilanguage like wikipedia?
MediaWiki ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikipedia/ ) is the wiki engine behind Wikipedia. We converted over to it at work (from phpWiki) and are very satisfied with it.

OpenGL.org will use MediaWiki as well.

Any news about the Wiki?

Great to hear, that you plan to setup a wiki. Our german opengl community started a wiki about one year in the past (http://wiki.delphigl.com/) to translate opengl/sdl function descriptions and to collect articles about technologies sombody might want to be used. We decided to use MediaWiki that’s and had so far a pretty nice time. However you might soon run in trouble cause spam bots starts to use the wiki for their advertise. Due this we closed edit of the wiki from non-forum registerd users a month ago. So keep on moving, a wiki is something pretty nice :wink: