…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver
…initializing QGL
…WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
…shutting down QGL
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

First when i got the whole game ,
this error showed also , i download a new driver
@ nivdia but now i did the same thing
and installed the nvidia driver but it doesn’t work , it shows nothing of any life ! ! !
(nvidia riva tnt)

Keep in mind that demo versions are often very old versions of the original game. It’s possible the maker fixed the problem you’re experiencing with a later release or patch.

I, also, am having the same problem. I just installed new Nvidia GeForce FX5200 AGP8X, 128Mb with the latest drivers off the Nvidia web site. Running W98SE; AMD 1.4G; DirectX9.0; Memory 512Mb;Samsung Syncmaster 192N.
I can see in the Nvidia Analog display where it says “OpenGL installable client driver” but I have not the clue how to actually install it. I am getting the same message as RefLect. Please help as I was able to play MOHAA with old Voodoo3

RefLect,
If you read my previous post, you see I “had” the same problem. I tried everything I found posted related to this problem to no avail. I went to http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/ent/enterprise_download/gld_win_download.php and tried the free demo and it worked for me. I have since purchased it for only $9.95 USD. However, wish I knew why Nvidia card would not allow usage of opengl!! Hope this helps you. It is fun to play MOHAA again!

Originally posted by glchallenged:
RefLect,
If you read my previous post, you see I “had” the same problem. I tried everything I found posted related to this problem to no avail. I went to http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/ent/enterprise_download/gld_win_download.php and tried the free demo and it worked for me. I have since purchased it for only $9.95 USD. However, wish I knew why Nvidia card would not allow usage of opengl!! Hope this helps you. It is fun to play MOHAA again!

glchallenged, the link you posted is to an OpenGL emulator. It is not a good solution to most people’s problems. However it does explain why your Voodoo3 was able to run MOHAA.

The Nvidia card you have can and will run OpenGL, but I suspect you have so much junk on your computer (old Voodoo drivers and GLDirect for starters)… that only a fresh reinstall of your operating system will fix it.

I agree with Uh.

If you had a Voodoo and just swapped cards your system still has the 3dfx drivers installed. Games based on the Q2 and Q3 engine look for this files (glide2x.dll for example) and switch into a “3dfx” mode where they handle stuff differently than normal.

So they will try to load a special 3dfx OpenGL layer and that will fail because there is no more 3dfx hardware present.

You can install drivers for the Nvidia until enternity, the games wont use that until you get rid of the 3dfx crap.

The ultimate way to do that is a clean install.

Thanks Uh and qwert77, that makes perfect sense. I went through regedit and tried to eliminate all references to 3dfx but to as you probably know that did not help either. Thanks for the information, at least I know what has to be done now.

Thanks again Uh and qwerty77, I uninstalled SciTech opengl emulator and then back into regedit. I had already searched for 3dfx so I searched again for gldirect (SciTech) and opengl. I deleted any opengl reference not related to Nvidia. It did the trick because MOHAA runs better now than it ever did on old Voodoo3! Thanks for the tip! I had thought it might be the case but I had forgotten there was an old SciTech install from before as well. Once all the erroneous “stuff” was cleared out it rocks.

nVidia recently removed their OpenGL configuration tab under display config. I upgraded my driver to 56.56 (Ge4 Ti 4200). I suspect that’s when it disappeared. A buddy said nVidia has opted to configure on a game-by-game method. Hence, I’m looking around to find an explination. Bottom line is you have to configure your driver specifically for MOHAA - check the display config panel. It’s in there.
:mad:

Found it in thier release notes (if it doesn’t work try manually setting the application profile (pull down config) for MOHAA):

Medal of Honor Under Windows XP and Windows
• Problem
The Electronic Arts game Medal of Honor uses a hard coded buffer to parse
the OpenGL extension string. This can cause a system crash under Windows
XP and Windows 2000.
• Workaround
NVIDIA has implemented Medal of Honor application detection to work
around this extension string crash.

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/56.72…otes_v56.72.pdf