OpenGL and WMware SVGA 3D in Windows Server 2019

Hello,

on my Windows 2019 virtual server with VMware SVGA 3D v.8.17.2.1 I have installed programs using OpenGL (Avogadro, Chimera).

However, there is no good display of OpenGL-based program. This means the issue is with the VMware SVGA 3D Display, right ?

If and how you get OpenGL support in a VMWare guest OS is going to be driven by VMWare’s capabilities and requirements. See below for a few related links.

There may be later info, but it sounds like with proper HW/SW setup, you can get “OpenGL version 3.3 core profile” support in the Windows guest OS. Guest OpenGL apps requiring the OpenGL “compatibility” profile, however, will likely not be able to run.

So first, I would suggest checking what minimum level of OpenGL support is required by Avagadro and Chimera (e.g. “2.1 compatibility profile” or “3.3 core profile”, etc.) and see if it’s even possible in VMWare to get that level of OpenGL support in a VMWare Windows guest OS.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2139606

Hello,

so, the answer from admin is that VMware SVGA 3D v.8.17.2.1 is the default driver on that Windows2019 server which cannot be changed.

Upon checking OpenGL presence - using GLView program - it show that there is the 3.3 Mesa 20 version.This should be enough for all GUI based programs ?

But why do I not see any molecules displayed in the open Avogadro program ? (avogadro.cc) Neither can I change the white color of the view-board in this remote computer.

Maybe this remote Windows2019 server can not render such displays as Avogadro has ?

This is the printscreen:

Specifically it says OpenGL version “3.3 (Core Profile)”.

No. GUIs and OpenGL are apples and oranges.

GUIs (graphical widget drawing libraries) usually don’t use OpenGL for rendering. Avagodro uses Qt for GUI rendering.

You can ask the Avogadro guys to be sure, but…

The source code for Avagodro checks for OpenGL 2.x “compatibility” profile support, and the link below suggests it requires OpenGL 2.1 "compatibility profile support.

Your VMWare Guest OS doesn’t provide OpenGL “compatibility” profile support. It provides OpenGL 3.3 “core” profile support.

An OpenGL “Core” profile offers a limited subset of OpenGL that gets rid of much of “the really old stuff”.
An OpenGL “Compatibility” profile on the other hand offers all of the old stuff along with the new.

Thanks for clarifying ! So the ball is at the WMvare side. I asked them, hopefully they have something to cover the OpenGL compatibility stuff.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.