nVidia drivers & 3dmark2003

Originally posted by SirKnight:
What I look at is performance in games, which is where it really counts. I’m not going to sit there and “play” 3dmark.

If you’re a gamer, then sure, games is what matters. For us developers though 3dmarks tests can be quite useful. Especially the individual tests, like shader performance etc.

Originally posted by davepermen:
dawn runs on the radeon as well, hehe (see the main page)

But the Radeon doesn’t work well on Linux, hehe
(afaik)

Originally posted by Zengar:
And Nvidia must sell some cards or … hmm… the NV40 will never appear. What can they do but cheat?

It’s not like nVidia is in economical trouble or so …

Originally posted by richardve:
But the Radeon doesn’t work well on Linux, hehe
(afaik)

It works just fine in Linux. Though I wish ATI would release Linux drivers more frequently.

Originally posted by Humus:
It’s not like nVidia is in economical trouble or so …

not as if that would legalice it anyways…

hm, humus. the radeon works well here at the work pc… looks like i really need a new mobo money everywhere, but not in my pockets…

Yeap, the unified drivers s**k, both for ATI and NVIDIA. Why the hell I have to download all the TNT, TNT2, GF2/GTS/PRO/ULTRA/MX/Ti, GF3, GF4/Ti/MX, FX/5200/5600n5800/5900 stuff (to get 3D mark opt ) when I need only one of them? The same for ATI, but they don’t have range that wide
I came to conclusion, that NVIDIA is working for developers & ATI for performance.
As for me I’ll stick with NVIDIA, you can flame me, but I just love their HW.
Anyways, people who wants max possibilities for min cash will go for FX5200, & that’s what sells best.
And actually that fight is pretty cool, you can get HOT, POWERFULL hw in few months for acceptable price Only if they wouldn’t cheat

Humus what drivers do you use for Linux?
Schneider or Ati?

Do they support the new extensions?
vertex/fragment programs, buffer objects…

I must buy a new gfx-card now (have geforce 2 ti, ever run vps in driver-emulation? ) but the new fx is no longer my preferred choice.

Im using Linux and you here everywhere hat ati linux support is bad. I dont know what to do…

I wouldn’t normally get involved in an argument like this but I did some checking just to follow up on someone’s hypothesis about the size of the driver download from NVIDIA. If you look at the directory extracted from the single downloadable executable you’ll find that, extracted it is approximately 44 meg. If you take out the help files and the language specific resource files the directory size drops down to 19 meg. The actual driver DLL’s included in the package (that aren’t UI for the control panel or NView or whatnot) are small enough. I personally find it refreshing that I don’t have to go searching for the proper driver for my card every time a new version comes out. And when I finally dump my old GF4 MX I know that I’ll have the current drivers downloaded already for my upgrade (if I go with NVIDIA).

Yes, you’re right about that size, those 22MB’s are playing on emotions
But is there a way to download only necessary files, without waiting 3DGuru or someone else to do 3rd party cutting?

Originally posted by namespace:
[b]Humus what drivers do you use for Linux?
Schneider or Ati?

Do they support the new extensions?
vertex/fragment programs, buffer objects…[/b]

Schneider currently, though as far as I understand things are just newer version of ati’s driver that just aren’t available from ati.com at the moment.
Yes, they support vertex and fragment programs. The old ATI drivers from like 6 months ago did too. There’s no support for VBO yet though, that’s a big minus, but it’s not that hard to fall back on VAO on the other hand.
Admittedly, I’m not using Linux primarily, though my demos tend to always work whenever it should (that is, it’s not using anything that I still haven’t added support for in my Linux backend of my framework, such as rendering to texture).

Originally posted by M/\dm/
:
Yes, you’re right about that size, those 22MB’s are playing on emotions
But is there a way to download only necessary files, without waiting 3DGuru or someone else to do 3rd party cutting?

Bah! Get broadband

I love the 3DMark serie 'cause of the nice demos. And now with all that nonsense about fair benchmarks 3DMark demos runs slower!

Originally posted by J_Kelley_at_OGP:
I wouldn’t normally get involved in an argument like this but I did some checking just to follow up on someone’s hypothesis about the size of the driver download from NVIDIA. If you look at the directory extracted from the single downloadable executable you’ll find that, extracted it is approximately 44 meg. If you take out the help files and the language specific resource files the directory size drops down to 19 meg. The actual driver DLL’s included in the package (that aren’t UI for the control panel or NView or whatnot) are small enough. I personally find it refreshing that I don’t have to go searching for the proper driver for my card every time a new version comes out. And when I finally dump my old GF4 MX I know that I’ll have the current drivers downloaded already for my upgrade (if I go with NVIDIA).

well… i normally don’t switch my languages all month, or gpu’s all month (but drivers actually quite often anyways due updates ).

so… a simple downloadpage, with 2 simple dropdown boxes, one “language”, one “gpu”, and a click… then an additional click “nview”, one for “keystone”, one for this, one for that additional feature (any use for keystone if you don’t have a beamer!!! any use for nview if you don’t have multiple screens? well i haven’t any…). those things are addons, NOT driver features…

and, for the ones that want, the “Detonator Combo”, all the things in one.

anyways, i think the “unified driver” part (means the same for all cards) is not just different files for different cards in one package, but really one file for all of them… so you can download once, and use all the time. even if its just the driver without extra****, in one language.

oh, and i do have 512kb adsl, and it takes ages to download 22MB… compared to drivers i normally download wich make swoosh and done at least…

PBuffers on ATI are a complete and utter mess, with their roll it themselves approach and GLX 1.2 support. You have to hand it to NVIDIA, they have significantly better and more mature OpenGL drivers on both Windows and without a shadow of a doubt on Linux.

Saw a nice idea in net (www.guru3d.com)

For the bigger part of it you should not blame FutureMark for this though, but blame the parties that started cheating. These are both nVIDIA and ATI and I don’t care wether its a 2% or a 25% difference, cheating is cheating. I actually applaud nVIDIA for the way they did it, if you do it then have the b@lls to do it well.

a simple downloadpage, with 2 simple dropdown boxes, one “language”, one “gpu”, and a click… then an additional click “nview”, one for “keystone”, one for this, one for that additional feature (any use for keystone if you don’t have a beamer!!! any use for nview if you don’t have multiple screens? well i haven’t any…).

Someone who is doesn’t even really understand what a “driver” means doesn’t want to sit there trying to understand 1001 different options. They want one file to download and fix the problem (and they only do this to fix probelms; they never get new drivers just because there are new ones).

As it turns out, these people don’t care that it’s a 22MB file, nor how long it takes to download. They just want the problem fixed, quickly without a lot of fuss.

Originally posted by M/\dm/
:
I actually applaud nVIDIA for the way they did it, if you do it then have the b@lls to do it well.

LOL!

They just want the problem fixed, quickly without a lot of fuss.

Quickly ? I wouldn’t say that, as not everybody has broadband. If you’ve got a 56k, you’ll care a lot if the file is only 8 Mb, or 22 Mb. At least i know i did, when i had a 56k before :slight_smile:

Y.

http://www.3dchipset.com/index.php

This was released a couple of days ago, but as our new policy is, we aren’t going to throw it up online until our FireKat fixes them up! Well he has just done that and now this package is down to 6.06Mb instead of 22Mb. Want to test out these 44.10 drivers? Check out the info below:

The drivers can only be installed via the Device Manager due to all the language files being taken out
All language and help files have been removed to ease Dial-up users
All nVidia cards are supported in this package
No word yet on performance or compatibility
Files are dated: May 5, 2003

[This message has been edited by Nutty (edited 05-28-2003).]

I actually applaud nVIDIA for the way they did it, if you do it then have the b@lls to do it well.

I’m losing my faith in humanity.