Inconsistency openGL implementations

Originally posted by tamlin:
[b] [quote]Trahern wrote:
So does anyone know if its possible to synchronize my app even without calling swapBuffers or not?
I suspect you are confusing synchronizations here.

Vsynch (vblank synchronization) is only to avoid “tearing” during SwapBuffers.

The synchronization Humus wrote about is the synchronization the server needs to finish e.g. a drawing job before it can get the intended result from a buffer modified by a previously dispatched operation.[/b][/QUOTE]No I know what Humus wrote about and that it has nothing to do with vsync. This is completly different problem. I simply want to have my application v-synced but I dont know if its possible to do it without calling SwapBuffers ( in win32 ) …thats all :slight_smile:

Trahern wrote:
I simply want to have my application v-synced but I dont know if its possible to do it without calling SwapBuffers ( in win32 ) …thats all :slight_smile:
The answer is AFAIK in the context of OpenGL no.

But I’m curious, why would you want to manually wait (perhaps even essentially busy-wait) for vblank? Are you perhaps trying to do something that’s better done another way? Precalculating (a bit of) next scene before swapping?

If you really, really need to wait on vblank, and then exclusively on Win32, you could use (/me bows head in shame for even mentioning it) this .

Originally posted by tamlin:
[b]The answer is AFAIK in the context of OpenGL no.

But I’m curious, why would you want to manually wait (perhaps even essentially busy-wait) for vblank? Are you perhaps trying to do something that’s better done another way? Precalculating (a bit of) next scene before swapping?

If you really, really need to wait on vblank, and then exclusively on Win32, you could use (/me bows head in shame for even mentioning it) this .[/b]
Well I really dont want to busy wait for v-sync …in fact Im using v-sync for the right opposite …to save CPU time. I know that it isnt ideal solution but it works really quite good. ( I can think of many other solutions but each of them has other drawbacks… )