Implement Basic File Loading Into OpenGL's Standard.

Maybe deprecated but the system contains lighting and via shading.

No, it’s removed from core OpenGL 3.1+. The only reason fixed-function stuff is still around is because first and foremost AMD and NVIDIA implement GL_ARB_compatibility. And there is no lighting whatsoever in shaders - you can implement shading models using shaders but with the fixed-function pipeline gone, all the built-in GLSL state for fixed light sources is gone.

Input for picking aka selection, etc…

Fixed-function support for selection is gone as well. You can either implement it using shaders or do picking directly on the scene contents using ray-casting.

Ah there now you did get my typo on that one thanks, meant OpenMax AL and Open ES for providing audio playback.

You realize that these may not even be implemented on any system, right? Also, there is no guarantee that what’s important to most applications, i.e. the application layer, is actually implemented on the system you’re targeting. Also OpenSL ES is what is is: a standard for embedded systems which is probably not available on any desktop system. You seem to neglect that these are specifications, not software, like many people do.

OpenGL handles those things in the background on the memory stacks yes there is matrix pushing and popping and math going on in the background, such as matrix math, and yes the code for the operations is online to perform the same tasks, glTranslate, glRotate, glScale, etc. So don’t say it doesn’t include it already it handles it in the function blocks and the function names makes it look pretty.

Memory stacks? You mean matrix stacks. BTW, matrix stacks are gone, just like glTranslate, glRotate, glScale and all the stuff related to and layered on it. So yes, I will say it - again: OpenGL doesn’t include any functions for doing linear algebra anymore. Welcome to OpenGL 3.1+ and Direct3D 10.

Ok I got it, the resistence is futile.

Assimilation in terms of wising up and actually doing research is a good thing. The Borg aren’t always wrong.

Edit: Holy moly, I didn’t even read this one before.

Now look at the dates, now look at the Nintendo 64 chip presentation video, and SGI’s hardware phases and leading to eventual release of OpenGL and why.

The N64 was released 4 years after OpenGL 1.0 …

Ok, let’s bottom line this. You want some library for reading model files such as OBJ, 3ds, milkshape, X. There are already such libraries available as homebrew projects. Khronos/ARB are not going to write one for you. These guys write specifications.
It will certainly not go into OpenGL because this library is just for communicating with the GPU.
nVidia, AMD, INTEL, APPLE are not going to write a model loader into their graphics driver.

Just an aside, a long time ago, one used GLU to do some utility things [stretch image data to be power of 2, some perspective matrices for you, etc]. GLU, analogous to D3DX is built on top of GL… but pre GL3, so much of what it did does not make any sense for GL3 core and newer.

On the other hand, what would be nice is a coordinated something for such a utility library. There are already LOTS of libs out there for such utility functionality for GL (gl, assimp, etc). What would be nice is something that collects it… wait we already have that on www.opengl.org: OpenGL SDK. It might be a good idea to add to that page, say with a link to Assimp (I am not a huge fan of assimp because the last time I played with it, I could only capture the first frame of a key frame mode, getting joint animations out of some things did not happen, etc)…

What you want is a utility library on top of GL, nothing more. The key difference between GL and D3D is that GL is like the wild west, there are many ways and many libs to help you… but all scattered all over the place where as in D3D it is integrated with the rest of the Win32/64 API which in turn gives it it’s utility libraries all ready.

There is a short list in the Wiki and the link to ASSIMP is in there Related toolkits and APIs - OpenGL Wiki

Random pedantry: OpenAL was created by Loki Games (a company that ported Windows games to Linux). Creative took it over some time after Loki went bankrupt.